7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2015 3:01 AM by Kyle {unique}

"Autopin PL/SQL editors" not pinning consistently?

Ismail_K

Hi.  I have the Code Editor option for "Autopin PL/SQL editors" selected, with "Max Open PL/SQL editors" set to 8.

The autopin feature seems to randomly work.  I'm opening PL/SQL packages by double-clicking files from the built-in Files view.  Sometimes they come up pinned, and sometimes they don't, which results in some files being replaced when opening new files.  I'm below my "max editors open" value, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Am I missing some logic to get this to work?

I'm currently using SQL Developer Version 4.0.1.14.

Thank you,

Ismail

• 1. Re: "Autopin PL/SQL editors" not pinning consistently?
          Gary Graham-Oracle

Hi Ismail,

Two points...

1.  4.0.0 and 4.0.1 were not production releases, more like Early Adopter releases.  Recommend installing 4.0.3.

2.  Auto Pin / Max Open for Code Editor do not apply to Worksheets -- more than Max Open of those can be kept open

If you open lots of files from View > Files, sql files, pls files, even txt files, that should be OK as long as they are not huge and cause OutOfMemory errors in Java's VM.  If you open the code editor on packages, procedures, and functions already defined in a schema, then those are the things that should count against the Max Open limit.

That said, there are a couple of quirks in these rules that I can still see in 4.0.3...

A. A known bug: toggling between spec / body of a package opens a duplicate tab, thereby forcing closed some other tab.

B. SQL Developer seems to reserve at least 2 of the Max Open slots:  one for a Worksheet, another for the Start Page.

Not really sure about (B), but I suppose you could also consider that a bug.  If you absolutely want 8 code editor tabs, try bumping up the Max Open to 10.

Regards,

Gary

SQL Developer Team

P.S.: Actually another complicating factor may be the Code Editor preference Link Stored Procedures to Files. I have not looked at that recently.

• 2. Re: "Autopin PL/SQL editors" not pinning consistently?
            Ismail_K

Hi Gary.  Thank you for the response.

A couple of notes about your response:

1. When downloading and installing SQL Developer 4.0, there was no indication that it was not a production release.

2. I'm not concerned about the Max Open limit.  I only mentioned it to rule it out as a cause of my issue.

I'm concerned about opening PL/SQL package files (.pkb, .pks) from View > Files, and the Autopin not being applied to these files consistently.

Let me be a little more specific: I'm connected to a particular schema.  I double-click to open a .pkb or .pks file from the View > Files view.  The file I'm clicking on is a package which exists in the schema that I am connected to.  The .pkb file opens up with the correct schema selected in the connection drop-down input on the top right (i.e. the schema that I am connected to).  Now the problem: Sometimes the file I just opened is autopinned (as indicated by the "Freeze Content" icon), and sometimes it is not.  Sometimes, even though the pin icon shows that the file is autopinned, opening another file replaces the file that just showed that it was autopinned.  Also, these files do not open up as Worksheets, if I'm understanding that correctly, since I have the "Run", "Debug", "Compile", and "Freeze Content (pin)" icons available.

I may try installing 4.0.3 and reporting back here about whether this issue still exists for me.

Thanks again for your response.

Ismail

• 3. Re: "Autopin PL/SQL editors" not pinning consistently?
              Ismail_K

To follow up, I installed version 4.0.3 and I'm still experiencing the issues I described in my last post.

Thank you,

Ismail

• 4. Re: "Autopin PL/SQL editors" not pinning consistently?
                Ismail_K

I'm using 4.1 Early Adopter, and still experiencing the inconsistent behavior with pinning of PL/SQL editors.

Thanks,

Ismail

• 5. Re: "Autopin PL/SQL editors" not pinning consistently?
                  Ismail_K

I'm still experiencing the inconsistent behavior with pinning and replacing of PL/SQL editors.

Thanks,

Ismail

• 6. Re: "Autopin PL/SQL editors" not pinning consistently?
                    thatJeffSmith-Oracle

I'll take a look. Probably has to do with the File view vs basic plsql editors...

• 7. Re: "Autopin PL/SQL editors" not pinning consistently?
                      Kyle {unique}

I'm on 4.1 Early Adopter on OSX with Java 1.8 (latest Java release, don't have the thing in front of me just now) and have the same problem.  I was briefly on 4.0.3 for Windows, but not long enough to tell if I ran into that or not.

--Kyle