1 2 3 Previous Next 34 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2015 4:36 PM by Dude! Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Support Notes for Installing Oracle db 11.2.0.4 on RHEL 6.5
        Dude!

You can simply re-run "yum install ..." any time and if it does not show an error or attempt to install anything, then the software has been successfully installed.

The Oracle installer automatically performs a prerequisite check before installing the database software and prompt you if there are problems. You can then exit the installer and correct the problem, or press the ignore button. The later can be necessary if the installer does not recognize newer versions of the software, but if I remember correctly, 11.2.0.4 should not have such a problem. I suggest to ask any follow up questions in the database installation forum: Database Installation for closer topic alignment.

1 person found this helpful
        • 16. Re: Support Notes for Installing Oracle db 11.2.0.4 on RHEL 6.5

Thanks my friend dudie,

How  do I check the following rpms?

• glibc-2.12-1.7.el6.i686 (32-bit)
          • glibc-2.12-1.7.el6.x86_64
          • glibc-common-2.12-1.7.el6.x86_64
          • glibc-devel-2.12-1.7.el6.i686 (32-bit)
          • glibc-devel-2.12-1.7.el6.x86_64

Can I run "yum install glibc"  one liner only for all the above? or I need to specify each?

Same thing with query if they were already applied?

• 17. Re: Support Notes for Installing Oracle db 11.2.0.4 on RHEL 6.5
            Zoltan Kecskemethy

Maria,

Again, the 64 bit oracle db server software you don't need .i686 packages. You need those only if you wish to install 32 bit oracle db client in a separate home. So your one liner is good.

Please check the MOS document I linked you earlier. It states requirements clearly.

Plus oracle universal installer will check all requirements meanwhile install so you can even use that to check if you have everything.

HTH,

Zoltan

• 18. Re: Support Notes for Installing Oracle db 11.2.0.4 on RHEL 6.5

Thanks My dear friend zoltan

I will start the installation on amazon ec2 soon. but the 4Gb installer I am copying took 2 days to be uploaded and it is still running now at 70Kb/second upload speed.

Meanwhile I am  searching google of  blogs who did actual installation of 11.2.04 and documented procedure using rhel 6.5 64bit.

I saw a good one yesterday but I lost the link. The most depressing is that when you search it again, you can not find it anymore

There is some word I put in search that showed the blog site. something like "oracle 11.2.0.4 rhel 6.5"?

• 19. Re: Support Notes for Installing Oracle db 11.2.0.4 on RHEL 6.5

Ok I found it

This is the best user-friendly install guide so far, that I found >http://www.ozsofts.com/?p=180

Can you show be other blogs as good or better that this. This is same OS I will use in amazon ec2 which is rhel 6.5 64bit.

Thanks

• 20. Re: Support Notes for Installing Oracle db 11.2.0.4 on RHEL 6.5
                  John Stegeman

I don't know how that is any better than the official documentation: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24326/toc.htm#i1011296

• 21. Re: Support Notes for Installing Oracle db 11.2.0.4 on RHEL 6.5
                    Zoltan Kecskemethy

That post looks good.

I usually use MOS documents and official install docs or my own docs created from the previous ones...

• 22. Re: Support Notes for Installing Oracle db 11.2.0.4 on RHEL 6.5
                      Igoroshka

Hi.

To check libraries for GI installation:

rpm -qa --queryformat "%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE} (%{ARCH})\n" | egrep "^binutils-|^compat-libcap1-|^compat-libstdc\+\+-33-|^elfutils-libelf-|^ elfutils-libelf-devel-|^elfutils-libelf-devel-static-|^gcc-|^gcc-c\+\+-|^glibc-|^glibc-common-|^glibc-devel-|^glibc-headers-|^kernel-headers-|^ksh-|^libaio-|^libaio-devel-|^libgcc|^libgomp-|^libstdc\+\+-|^libstdc\+\+-devel-|^make-|^sysstat-|^unixODBC-|^unixODBC-devel-" | sort

In my case the result after installing all necessary libraries is:

binutils-2.17.50.0.6-26.el5 (x86_64)

compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-61 (i386)

compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-61 (x86_64)

elfutils-libelf-0.137-3.el5 (i386)

elfutils-libelf-0.137-3.el5 (x86_64)

elfutils-libelf-devel-0.137-3.el5 (i386)

elfutils-libelf-devel-0.137-3.el5 (x86_64)

elfutils-libelf-devel-static-0.137-3.el5 (i386)

elfutils-libelf-devel-static-0.137-3.el5 (x86_64)

gcc-4.1.2-55.el5 (x86_64)

gcc-c++-4.1.2-55.el5 (x86_64)

glibc-2.5-123.0.1 (i686)

glibc-2.5-123.0.1 (x86_64)

glibc-common-2.5-123.0.1 (x86_64)

glibc-devel-2.5-123.0.1 (i386)

glibc-devel-2.5-123.0.1 (x86_64)

glibc-headers-2.5-123.0.1 (x86_64)

kernel-headers-2.6.18-398.0.0.0.1.el5 (x86_64)

ksh-20100621-22.el5_11 (x86_64)

libaio-0.3.106-5 (i386)

libaio-0.3.106-5 (x86_64)

libaio-devel-0.3.106-5 (i386)

libaio-devel-0.3.106-5 (x86_64)

libgcc-4.1.2-55.el5 (i386)

libgcc-4.1.2-55.el5 (x86_64)

libgomp-4.4.7-1.el5 (i386)

libgomp-4.4.7-1.el5 (x86_64)

libstdc++-4.1.2-55.el5 (i386)

libstdc++-4.1.2-55.el5 (x86_64)

libstdc++-devel-4.1.2-55.el5 (i386)

libstdc++-devel-4.1.2-55.el5 (x86_64)

make-3.81-3.el5 (x86_64)

sysstat-7.0.2-13.0.1.el5 (x86_64)

unixODBC-2.2.11-10.el5 (i386)

unixODBC-2.2.11-10.el5 (x86_64)

unixODBC-devel-2.2.11-10.el5 (i386)

unixODBC-devel-2.2.11-10.el5 (x86_64)

unixODBC-libs-2.2.11-10.el5 (i386)

Also before installing GI it is good to run:

cd <GI installation>

./runcluvfy.sh stage -pre crsinst -n node1,node2 -r 11gR2 -verbose

And after:

./runcluvfy.sh stage -post crsinst -n node1,node2 -verbose

• 23. Re: Support Notes for Installing Oracle db 11.2.0.4 on RHEL 6.5
                        Igoroshka

Not sure. There is disagreement even in the referenced MOS doc:

From doc:

shmmax-- Maximum: A value that is 1 byte less than the physical memory. Recommended: More than half the physical memory

From See My Oracle Support Note 567506.1 -- Oracle Global Customer Support officially recommends a " maximum" for SHMMAX of "1/2 of physical RAM".

And oracle-validated set if I am not mistaken some huge value.

P.S.

This absolutely does not mean that official docs are useless .

• 24. Re: Support Notes for Installing Oracle db 11.2.0.4 on RHEL 6.5

Thanks all...

Hi John and Zoltan.

****I don't know how that is any better than the official documentation: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24326/toc.htm#i1011296

Well the official docs usually lump everything(all the OS types) in it, which make it a little confusing. you have to read all the other embedded OS. your brain will evaluate "if-then-else" condition. While the blog I posted is just straightforward using one (1) OS only rhel 6.5. You can even close your eyes while following it . I like to read these kinds of docs. Hope more blogs like it will be created.

Thankssss

• 25. Re: Support Notes for Installing Oracle db 11.2.0.4 on RHEL 6.5
                            John Stegeman

The official documentation that I linked for you is for Linux x64. There is no if-then-else.

• 26. Re: Support Notes for Installing Oracle db 11.2.0.4 on RHEL 6.5
                              Dude!

SHMMAX is only a safeguard parameter. It is used to set a possible upper limit. It only really matters if you have other software running beside Oracle or need to prevent a bad program from eating up all your shared memory resources. There isn't really much software that uses shared memory, Oracle database is one of them. If the primary use for the server is Oracle database, then might as well set it to whatever max value the hardware architecture allows. In some cases you probable do not want the OS or kernel to limit the resources that an Oracle DBA can configure or the the Oracle database can use.

People who are not very familiar with the OS or Database installation naturally prefer step by step installations and to follow simple instructions. The  problem however is that there is no perfect one fits all scenario. Settings are often more complex than the person installing the software is able to understand and providing all the requried knowledge to explain every nuance of a solution is simply not possible.

There are many user created how-to's out there and many are copied or based on follow-up errors of other howto's. Including the link that was previously mentioned. For example, there was no need for the init startup script to use external procedure if the author had realized that the problem is the use of the dash when using the su command, which will reset the the shell environment.

• 27. Re: Support Notes for Installing Oracle db 11.2.0.4 on RHEL 6.5
                                Igoroshka

The size of the shmmax it is a question of the single segment or multiple (continuous or not) segments shared memory control. And in the case of ASMM. But it's true that such nuances often are out of the DBA control.

• 28. Re: Support Notes for Installing Oracle db 11.2.0.4 on RHEL 6.5
                                  Dude!

SHMMAX is the maximum size of a single shared memory segment set in bytes. It's a safeguard parameter only. The default value on machines with 64-bit architecture is 68719476736; for 32-bit architecture, the default value is 4294967295. You can check the section about Capacity Tuning in https://linux.oracle.com/documentation/OL6/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-6-Performance_Tuning_Guide-en-US.pdf.

Shared memory and semaphores belong to "System V IPC". SHMMAX does not apply to POSIX shared memory (/dev/shm), which is 50 % of the installed physical RAM by default and used if the Oracle instance uses AMM (automatic shared memory). Otherwise, if you use ASMM, you can use conventional memory or kernel hugepages. The later is preferred for better performance with large SGA sizes (> 3 GB and the memory is reserved at system restart, so you need to make sure to leave enough conventional memory for system functions beside the Oracle instance.

You can run multiple instances on one and the same machine and use hugepages and POSIX shared memory (/dev/shm), for example to run the ASM instance that uses AMM, and a database instance configured to use ASMM with kernel hugepages.

Btw, https://community.oracle.com/thread/2514518

SHMALL Sizing with Oracle Automatic Memory Management (AMM)

• 29. Re: Support Notes for Installing Oracle db 11.2.0.4 on RHEL 6.5

Thanks all,

But the "if then else" I am referring to are the lots of OS catered in one docs. Like of its Suse...do this... if RHEL 4 do this of RHEL 5 do this if RHEL 6 do this...etc...etc...then docs will converge of common task, which you will not if they are common really or not. You will be confused if you do this for certain OS only.  So that why its confusing if you mixed all OS in one doc.