11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2015 12:08 PM by thatJeffSmith-Oracle

SQL Developer 4.1.0.17 - Editor EA2

archimede

Continued from SQL Developer 4.1.0.17 - Editor

In a SQL Worksheet type

1. ab
      2. ab
      3. ab

Now put the cursor at the beginning of the first row (pos. 1.1) and Edit -> Replace -> Search for: b -> Replace with: c Result: nothing at all. Oh, I have to select Wrap Around (why on earth, if I was on the first line? Result:

1. ac
      2. ac
      3. ab

And while toying with it, please note how "intelligently" SQLDev automatically picks the text to replace and the replacement text, not to mention what is actually selected/highlighted in the worksheet text.

Now if you really want to have some additional fun, try replacing ab with ab\n.

One final gem: with the cursor positioned at 1.1 try searching for a and see it selecting the a on the THIRD line.

Open a package and quickcly tried the same experiments: same behaviour.

Although I know it's of no use, I beg you to bring back the 4.0 Replace dialog when editing packages (those buttons are more annoying than useful) and fix, once and for all, the problems with carriage returns and other non printable characters (tab comes to mind): just do what any modern text editor does, without all those checkboxes or at least using some sensible defaults.

And, while you're at it, STOP moving the cursor position for no good reasons while changing the search (and replace) options.

I'm using OS X 10.9.5 and Java 1.8.0_25.

Alessandro

mod. action: please refrain to use such word in thread title, that won't be helpful to understand what you want, moreover violated rules to keep language professional, it has been modified accordingly.

Message was edited by: Nicolas.Gasparotto

• 1. Re: [4.1EA2]Find quirks (aka: Editor is rubbish)
          thatJeffSmith-Oracle

I understand you don't like how it works. But I don't see any bugs here. You just don't like the default behaviors and preferences. Set the preferences to what you need, and you should be good to go from there.

If you post another 'rubbish' post, I'll probably just delete it. Please use descriptive subject headers.

• 2. Re: [4.1EA2]Find quirks (aka: Editor is rubbish)
            archimede

Jeff Smith Sqldev Pm-Oracle wrote:

I don't see any bugs here.

Really? Oh well... I'll stick to 4.0 for the time being.

If you post another 'rubbish' post, I'll probably just delete it. Please use descriptive subject headers.

For the record, that's what inspired me: https://community.oracle.com/thread/3675090

• 3. Re: [4.1EA2]Find quirks (aka: Editor is rubbish)
              Kyle {unique}

I tried your "ab" example archimedeand got different results.

I used command+F to open the search area (instead of using the edit menu)

I started with

ab

ab

ab

and I ended with

ac

ac

ab

Clicking the Replace stepped through the first two but never replaced the third.  I tried with and without wrap turned on.  Whole word is turned off.  clicking Replace or Replace All stopped changing things after the second replacement.  The final "ab" is not changed to an "ac".  To my eyes that is unexpected behaviour.

Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 10.40.59.png

Jeff, what video capture tool do you use?  Does it work on Mac?  Your video in the post archi links to is an animated GIF, does your capture tool automatically make GIFs?  If a picture is worth a thousand words, does that make a video worth a million?  If we could post a small (3 to 5 seconds) vid of what we are doing, I think that would be terrifically helpful.  It would either demonstrate the full error or show where we made a mistake. 

• 4. Re: [4.1EA2]Find quirks (aka: Editor is rubbish)
                archimede

Kyle, I don't understand how your results are different.

If you're referring to the "nothing happens" bit, I guess it's because you had Wrap Around on from the start: if I uncheck all search options (which is what you have with a fresh install), close and reopen the worksheet, I can reproduce my findings.

Did you also try the \n part?

PS: if a few seconds are enough, you can try https://gyazo.com/

• 5. Re: [4.1EA2]Find quirks (aka: Editor is rubbish)
                  thatJeffSmith-Oracle

I get all 3 replaced, both interactively, and all at once

only 'wrap around' and 'highlighted' are activated on the search toolbar

• 6. Re: [4.1EA2]Find quirks (aka: Editor is rubbish)
                    Kyle {unique}

I think I found the trick to it.  While I originally expected clicking the Replace or Replace All buttons to do the whole task, it only works 100% if I click the down arrow first.  I guess this activates the "find mode" so that the replace clicks work.  If I undo (command+Z) so that the ab texts are restored, then the search counter still shows blank and I have to put the cursor back in the find text area and edit and that restores the "1 of 3" counter.  Then it all works again.

I'm not a Mac guy (yet) and so I don't know if this is normal Mac behavior or not.  But now that I know what makes it go, it works every time for me.  If this isn't the normal way a Mac does things, then I can see how that might trip you up.  But for me it was just learning how.

I'm trying Gyazo GIF, thanks.  Pretty cool, but man you have to type fast.  Once I get used to it, I'll try some illustrations.

--Kyle

• 7. Re: SQL Developer 4.1.0.17 - Editor EA2
                      Nicolas Gasparotto

archimede wrote:

For the record, that's what inspired me: https://community.oracle.com/thread/3675090

It's not because the other do things that that is good to do the same. I edited your and their thread's title to make it more professional. If you disagree, please edit it again, but keep away from bad behavior. Thanks.

Nicolas (moderator).

• 8. Re: Re: SQL Developer 4.1.0.17 - Editor EA2
                        archimede

Nicolas.Gasparotto wrote:

It's not because the other do things that that is good to do the same.

True, but if "normal" threads go unnoticed while provcative get some answers, it's not always easy to stick to good behaviour.

Alessandro

• 9. Re: Re: SQL Developer 4.1.0.17 - Editor EA2
                          Nicolas Gasparotto

I won't argue with you, but I disagree. People here on the community will remember you as a impatient and nervous guy, in the end you'll be ignored and you'll get the opposite that what you want to get.

Unless I'm wrong, your previous thread was a month ago or so, you don't know why there was no response, maybe people who knew the response were away, in holiday, on different timezone, or just did not notice at that time.

People coming here are volunteers willing to help, a minimum of respect is a must.

You've absolutely no need to insult or being harsh in any way to get attention and response, except the one from moderator to warn you about such a behavior.

Nicolas.

• 10. Re: [4.1EA2]Find quirks (aka: Editor is rubbish)
                            archimede

I won't argue either.

Back on topic, is anyone going to look into the three problems I raised in my first post or simply "there's no bug here"?

It seems to me that the current incarnation of search and replace is a usability nightmare (compared to any editor I know, but also to 4.0).

Alessandro

• 11. Re: SQL Developer 4.1.0.17 - Editor EA2
                              thatJeffSmith-Oracle

I haven't found any issues based on your use cases.

First use case, I see both FIND & REPLACE working for your text sample, with and without wrap around search enabled.

In the future, apart from not using non-descriptive subject headers on your posts, separate each issue you find into a separate thread.

Putting in one laundry list of items makes it hard to adequately answer.