1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2015 10:55 PM by Dude! Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Re: error installing VirtualBox Guest Additions
        EdStevens

2898527 wrote:

Daemon Tools PRO is a software to mount disk images. When mounting this image with Daemon Tools PRO, and follow the installation procedure in the end,

Did the VBox user manual say anything about using 3d party tools for installation of Guest Additions?

I skipped those messages such mistake from the beginning. I think you answered it had previously.

And you STILL skipped telling me where you got them.  What I am trying to get at is to determine the exact process that created the messages.  Did they come from the procedure as documented by Vbox, or did it come from your non-documented use of a third-party product?

And to do it from the virtual machine, as you say, only it mounts, but does nothing else.

No, I did not say.

The documentation I quoted said this: (quoting yet again):

4.2.1.1. Installation

In the "Devices" menu in the virtual machine's menu bar, VirtualBox has a handy menu item named "Insert Guest Additions CD image", which mounts the Guest Additions ISO file inside your virtual machine. A Windows guest should then automatically start the Guest Additions installer, which installs the Guest Additions into your Windows guest. Other guest operating systems (or if automatic start of software on CD is disabled) need manual start of the installer.

I don't have a windows installation available at the moment, but as best I recall, this 'automatically start the Guest Additions installer" is completely behind the scenes on a Windows guest.  Which would mean there is nothing to see. 

• 16. Re: Re: error installing VirtualBox Guest Additions
          Dude!

When choosing guest additions from the VirtualBox menu, Virtualbox will automatically attach the disk image, provided no other disk image is already attached. Several systems automatically mount attached storage media devices and MS Windows autorun, for example, will open the Guest addition installer.

• 17. Re: Re: Re: error installing VirtualBox Guest Additions

I did, once assembled this image, running the VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe file in the boot of the disk image corresponding to VirtualBox Guest Additions, mounted with Daemon Tools PRO. And to run and install VirtualBox Guest Additions has left me this error message mentioned above. In this process I have not used VirtualBox for nothing. Some more information?

PS: Sorry if I had not understood before. I speak Spanish. Sorry.

• 18. Re: Re: Re: error installing VirtualBox Guest Additions
              Dude!

1. Which version of VritualBox are you running?

2. What is your host OS?

3. Is your guest OS (Windows) activated?

There is no need in any recent versions of VirtualBox to assemble any disk image and to mount it with any tool in order to run the VB guest installer. What you are doing seems very odd and does not correspond to any current practices.

1 2 Previous Next