8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2015 8:31 AM by 3ds

2 applications on one website

3ds

Hi all.

I have Oracle 11g R2 Standard Edition on Windows 8.1. The Apex is 4.2.6 with Glassfish 4.0. Everything is on same machine.

I have developed 2 applications for a school. Both the applications are interrelated and share the same database.

1st application (Application 150) is for Teachers. 2nd (Application 160) is for students. Both the applications are suppose to access by same website.

www.myschoolmaths.com/mathsteachers  --  Application 150 for teachers

www.myschoolmaths.com/maths  --  Application 160 for students

How can I achieve this.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: 2 applications on one website
          Huzaifa_Apex

Do you want have a common login for multiple application ?

Follow steps in below link.

http://apps2fusion.com/at/64-kt/413-maintaining-authentication-between-apex-applications

Br,

Zaif

• 2. Re: 2 applications on one website
            3ds

Thanks for the quick reply Zaif. Unfortunately, both applications have different login pages and different authentication logic.

• 3. Re: 2 applications on one website
              fac586

3ds wrote:

I have Oracle 11g R2 Standard Edition on Windows 8.1. The Apex is 4.2.6 with Glassfish 4.0. Everything is on same machine.

I have developed 2 applications for a school. Both the applications are interrelated and share the same database.

1st application (Application 150) is for Teachers. 2nd (Application 160) is for students. Both the applications are suppose to access by same website.

How can I achieve this.

Achieve what? There is no obvious question here...

• 4. Re: 2 applications on one website
                TexasApexDeveloper

And how will you users access these applications?  Unless the machine you have them installed on is connected to the outside world via the internet, they will not be accessible.. Why don't you look at instead hosting them with a dedicated hosting company??

There are quite a few out there...

Thank you,

Tony Miller
                LuvMuffin Software
                Ruckersville, VA

• 5. Re: Re: 2 applications on one website
                  jwellsnh

3ds wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply Zaif. Unfortunately, both applications have different login pages and different authentication logic.

Why not have one application - www.myschoolmaths.com/onesite:

• authenticate via one login page and
                  • then authorize via authorization schemes who can see what and do what based upon whether one is a teacher or one is a student?

Jeff

• 6. Re: 2 applications on one website
                    Earl Lewis

There are various ways for you to accomplish what you're trying to do. If I get your question correct, you want to publish two different directories (mathsteachers and maths) on the same domain (www.myschoolmaths.com).

First, as Tony suggested, you will need the domain to be publicly accessible, so you'll need to setup DNS to resolve your domain names to the machine where your Apex instance is hosted. This also means that the web server that front-ends your Apex apps needs to be publicly reachable, i.e. it needs to be a dedicated server with appropriate access controls.

You can accomplish the two different "directories" by either using web server rewrite rules, or by setting up multiple DADs (database access descriptors) for your installation.

The bottom line is you can do what you're asking for. You just need to understand all the pieces that are involved and the options you have for configuring them to get you where you want to go.

Earl

• 7. Re: 2 applications on one website
                      Kiran Pawar

Hi 3ds,

Agreed with Tony and Earl, you need to understand how to tweak the APEX architecture to solve your issue.

One more alternative to "web server rewrite rules" and "setting up multiple DADs" is to "set up a reverse proxy to your web server" (Glassfish Server in your case).

This may be one of the solution:

• Set up Apache HTTP Server to the domain you want viz. www.myschoolmaths.com which would be your reverse proxy.
                      • Load the modules mod_proxy.so and mod_proxy_http.so in the Apache HTTP Server.
                      • Write the proxy rules for "www.myschoolmaths.com/mathsteachers" and "www.myschoolmaths.com/maths".

Refer : ORACLE-BASE - Apache : Reverse Proxy Configuration

You could also consider ORDS deployed to Apache Tomcat and reverse proxy by Apache HTTP Server as your middle tier.

Refer : Dimitri Gielis Blog (Oracle Application Express - APEX): Preparing architecture for APEX 5.0 upgrade

NOTE : The blog is just to give you visual picture of how architecture with reverse proxy might look like, I am not suggesting you to upgrade to Oracle DB 12c/Oracle APEX 5.0 (when available).

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Kiran

• 8. Re: 2 applications on one website
                        3ds

Many thanks Kiran. This is what I was looking for.