9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2015 2:53 PM by John Snyders-Oracle

How to switch APEX 5.0 to older version in APEX.ORACLE

Animesh Tripathi

Hi,

Can anyone please help me to change APEX 5.0 view to older one.

Regards
      Animesh

• 1. Re: How to switch APEX 5.0 to older version in APEX.ORACLE
          Jitendra

Hi Animesh,

Animesh Tripathi wrote:

Hi,

Regards
          Animesh

You mean component view ?

you can toggle between component view and Page Designer.

Edit your page and check there is icon in the right top of the page.

Please check the screen shot.

Screenshot from 2015-03-27 13:23:23.pngRegards,

Jitendra

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to switch APEX 5.0 to older version in APEX.ORACLE
            fac586

Animesh Tripathi wrote:

Use the Component View button to switch out of the very confusing (and in my personal opinion completely unnecessary) Page Designer view.

apex_50_designer_toolbar.png

• 4. Re: How to switch APEX 5.0 to older version in APEX.ORACLE
              Scott Wesley

I wonder if the people who don't like the new page designer aren't ex-forms programmers?

I like it and look forward to embracing it, but I do rate the component view over the tree view.

I see a little irony in the component view icon reminding me of stonehenge ;p

• 5. Re: How to switch APEX 5.0 to older version in APEX.ORACLE
                Para

I think page designer view nice when you  start working in apex. I belive it also attracts more people , it has an appealing look.

But after you get used to things it "becomes" way too cluttered and a lot of space is wasted for things that I personally do not need.

One more things that Ill have to wait to find out is how it will affect performance.

• 6. Re: How to switch APEX 5.0 to older version in APEX.ORACLE
                  Richard Legge

from my perspective 90% of what I am doing doesn't relate to page design, yet the vast majority of the page is given over to the designer, and the useful bits are squeezed onto the edges.  I'm sure when I actually need to design some new pages, it will come in handy..

Also to be honest, the hosted version is currently too slow for me to spend much time in...(probably because I live the other side of the world to the server!!!)  Roll on the availability of the first download...

• 7. Re: How to switch APEX 5.0 to older version in APEX.ORACLE
                    Para

Richard touched on a good point.

Theres so much space wasted for "showing-off". When I want to place my code somewhere i have to scroll/click a lot and initially I have a little 200x100 box  where I can place my code. Or I can enlarge the box and write it there.

Then again later when I want to check my code on each page i have to look at those tiny little boxes or I have to enlarge it.All while I have space "wasted" on showing me positions of regions.

I havent tried messing with the designer layout so it might actually not be that bad if you make it smaller and make everything else larger.

• 8. Re: How to switch APEX 5.0 to older version in APEX.ORACLE
                      Scott Wesley

I haven't spent that much time in the middle (though I wouldn't classify it as showing off), and I do wish the code boxes were a ilttle taller, but...

- you shouldn't have much code in the code boxes, you should be calling modules in a library package/js

- there are so many advantages of having component properties in the sidebar, I think any other flaws are secondary.

- I'm also on the other side of the world and the small amount of extra time on page load certainly outweighs extra time spent navigating between pages to make minor modifications to component properties.

• 9. Re: How to switch APEX 5.0 to older version in APEX.ORACLE
                        John Snyders-Oracle

Here are some tips for those that think the grid layout view takes up too much space, is showing off, or isn't used that often

• Make it smaller. Use the splitters to make the tree and property editor regions wider. The splitters will remember their position so you only need to do this once to get the proportions you like.
                        • Switch to one of the other tabs such as Messages or Help. When you switch to edit a different page the tab will stay the same. Unfortunately if you leave page designer for example to go to Shared Components and return the Grid Layout tab is selected.

It is true that page designer takes a little longer to load than component view but as Scott points out the productivity gain comes from not having to navigate to all the edit pages that hang off of component view. With page designer you can edit any number of components on your page without having to wait for any other builder pages to load. The more editing you do the more time you save by not switching builder pages. I encourage everyone to give it a try.