1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 71 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2013 1:30 PM by Karan Kukreja Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
        101% yes
        • 16. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
          AppsDBA
          DBA career, an interesting one. But, getting a job for a fresher, bit difficult.

Most of the DBAs faced this problem.

You can do onething, Study Oracle DBA course in an institute with placement assistance. Complete atleast OCA(SQL+Architecture) start job hunting. Small companies in Bangalore, Chennai, Hyd still need junior DBAs. If you are good in PL/SQL, start as a database developer, change your career to Oracle DBA in the same company. You can start as a development DBA also. In this you will be handling PL/SQL and DBA side. This will be a good starting.

All the very best,

Regards
          Sony
          • 17. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
            Regarding Monetary benefits DBA's are paid well.
            DBA's with lots of Oracle and UNIX skills have long term career prospects.
            Being a DBA is a challenging task and you may have to use your brain very often.
            When problem comes DBA's are most useful to the programming community.
            • 18. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
              APC
              . I shocked that fresh DBA's dont get job.
              Most jobs require some form of prior experience. That's why it's so hard for anybody to get their first job.

But this is particularly true of jobs like DBAs. Consider these facts:
              (1) Much of the DBA's work is out of normal hours, which means a DBA is often working on their own.
              (2) The DBA (unless the company is using Data Vault) is trusted with very wide and deep access to the company's data and applications.
              (3) Every second the system is down your company is losing money (or effectivess, or whatever the application does). So when the solids hit the air-conditioning the DBA must bring the system back up ASAP without data loss. Conversely the DBA's privileges make it easy to accidentally stuff up the system.
              (4) The DBA is often the TDA or final approver for new systems and changes to existing systems.

Now, honestly, would you hire yourself right now for such a job?

What you need is to find a post with an organisation that is large enough to support a team of DBAs, and has sufficient depth of experience to take on somebody with potential but no track record. It does happen, but to be honest most current DBAs started out as developers and were moved into the DBA role by their employer.

One last tip: Lisa Dobson has an engaging blog about being a newbie DBA. Of course she's now got sufficent experience that's she's no longer a newbie. Also, Lisa was based in the north-east of England, which is quite different from India. For instance, the curries are hotter on Tyneside. But the articles still have relevance.

Good luck!

Cheers, APC
              • 19. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                Laurent Schneider
                do you mean that if you have datavault, it is no longer a requirement to trust the dba ?

*** :-) ***
                • 20. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                  hi garry..
                  like u, i am from india too.. n i am the so called 'dba' of my project.. interestingly i hold a degree in mechanical engineering.. n this is my first assignment as a fresher! i also handle some work as a core engine developer.. but i am the guy responsible for the database... i'll just hold lady luck responsible for all this.. :)
                  • 21. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                    APC
                    do you mean that if you have datavault, it is no longer a requirement to trust the dba ?
                    Obviously not. But datavault (if it works as advertised) will restrict the breadth and depth of a DBA's access to data. Or at least unaudited access.

Cheers, APC
                    • 22. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                      Laurent Schneider
                      yes, apc, data vault is a great announcement and I like it very much...

the dba must be trusted, but it is not a requirement to grant him access to confidential datas.

dba should monitor the health of the database, but why should he knows the salary of his manager?
                      • 23. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                        APC
                        dba should monitor the health of the database, but why should he knows the salary of
                        his manager?
                        Funnily enough, my company used to have an open salary policy: everybody knew (or could legitmately find out) everybody else's salary. It worked well. This is only a problem when salaries are deemed sensitive information...

Cheers, APC
                        • 24. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                          Laurent Schneider
                          sometimes I prefer to not know... steven feuerstein like the 25X&NOMORE approach... one of my customer has the 1000X&MORE approach, but this is sad :-(
                          • 25. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                            Hi Garry,
                            1) - Is it worth to be a DBA as compared to other jobs like netwrking or programming?
                            This is what I asked myself – 48 Months back and found the life that what I am into! In terms of me – It’s unlimited, like your Database – your knowledge will be growing in Tera Bytes!!! Even more!

Hanging between System/Database Admin for couple of months, I preferred to stick with Database and it happened!
                            But once i was on few job sites.. I searched for DBA positions and didnt find many.
                            Did not find any????

Why not try with www.naukri.com (If you are in India) try with www.jobsdb.com (If you are in Singapore) you find lot – lot of Jobs and very less who can accomplish being a DBA!
                            2) - From where would Freshers or people with no experience start?
                            After my Master’s this is the real life I faced being a Junior DBA, naa so I worked with an Organization for 6 months to be a Jr DBA to get paid and from then I am climbing!

3) - How much can we earn with 0-2 years experience?
                            0-6 Months you earn Knowledge and what DBA is!

06-12 Months – You try to get what you learned in past 6 months

13 – 24 Months – You will be living with Databases!

24 - ……

4) - How to find jobs that ask for people wich 0-2 years experience
                            This one – it depends up on you! Well try your luck reaching the.....!

Good Luck

Ravi
                            • 26. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                              RKravcenko
                              Hi Garry,

Q: 1) - Is it worth to be a DBA as compared to other jobs like networking or programming?
                              A: I would say yes, but I think you should have your own experience because it's difficult to say that a position is better than the other without trying it.
                              Fortunately I had the chance of being a programmer, system admin, and DBA. I find myself in the latter.
                              You can have lots of learning in each of this position and become a better DBA.

Q: 2) - From where would Fresher's or people with no experience start?
                              A: I recommend reading, try and error in a "sand box", more reading, and getting together with experienced people.

Q: 3) - How much can we earn with 0-2 years experience?
                              A: Difficult to say...

Q: 4) - How to find jobs that ask for people which 0-2 years experience.
                              A: My experience was climbing the company's IT hierarchy. Sometime is good to be patient and try your own approach.

Good luck and be happy with your choice.
                              Regards.
                              RK
                              • 27. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                                Hello ,

I think that to be a DBA, is a process that it newer finish's. I am working with database since 1980, and each day I am learning new things. It´s import to be patience, take your time to resolve problems, I always have good references to find solutions.

It's a good job and because all information is on databases, and the world people needs to know it.
                                • 28. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                                  Being a DBA is a challenging task and you may have to use your brain very often.

Does this mean that a developper uses less his brain than a DBA ?
                                  • 29. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                                    APC
                                    Does this mean that a developper uses less his brain than a DBA ?
                                    Who you asking? A developer or a DBA?

Cheers, APC