1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2015 12:13 PM by EdStevens

network adapter could not establish the connection: IO error

FTSBrasil

Hello,

DB version 12c, Platform Windows 7 VBOX virtual machine

Code 17002

all these services are disabled

services disabled - Pastebin.com

I followed this doc Docs Oracle Database as mentioned by IO Error: The network adapter could not establish the connection

As far as I went, couldn't make it through the connection to my database or instance name, what is name is apropriate, if you will?

Also notice when time of installation of database, my VM ip was 192.168.25.15. Now is 192.168.25.13.

• 1. Re: network adapter could not establish the connection: IO error
          EdStevens

ceb66d35-870a-4f28-a77d-d96fd12cfac3 wrote:

Hello,

DB version 12c, Platform Windows 7 VBOX virtual machine

Code 17002

all these services are disabled

services disabled - Pastebin.com

I followed this doc Docs Oracle Database as mentioned by IO Error: The network adapter could not establish the connection

As far as I went, couldn't make it through the connection to my database or instance name, what is name is apropriate, if you will?

Also notice when time of installation of database, my VM ip was 192.168.25.15. Now is 192.168.25.13.

PLease clarify that your GUEST os is Win7..  Seems rather strange to bother setting up a VM to run a desktop os.

Your Ip address is most likely changing because you configured a single network adapter (on the guest OS) as DHCP.

When I create a guest OS under VBOX, I configure the NIC as 'hostonly' and mannually assign it a fixed IP address.  More on that at https://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2012/12/15/configure-the-virtualbox-network-2/

• 2. Re: network adapter could not establish the connection: IO error

post results from OS commands below

lsnrctl status

lsnrctl service

• 3. Re: network adapter could not establish the connection: IO error
              FTSBrasil

EdStevens , What you suggest about installing 6 DB among 10 sorts of configurations for managing Web apps ? I thought VM would benefit the performance degradation of the computer.

2) yes, NIC is dhcp and what makes it find the correct ip ? I always worked VBOX in brigeded mode because I can access files in network allways thus, don't bulk the VM HD used space.

sol.beach, here is the output

great community by the way, thanks for the fast reply

• 4. Re: Re: network adapter could not establish the connection: IO error
                EdStevens

FTSBrasil wrote:

EdStevens , What you suggest about installing 6 DB among 10 sorts of configurations for managing Web apps ? I thought VM would benefit the performance degradation of the computer.

I'm afraid I haven't a clue what you are saying or asking.

Hopefully, this is not for a production system.  Sorry to say, but I don't think VBox is robust enough for full blown production use.

2) yes, NIC is dhcp and what makes it find the correct ip ?

It doesn't "find" the "correct" IP.  The dhcp server (in the case the vbox network adapter running on the host) TELLS the guest what it's IP address is.  And it it totally up to the dhcp server to decide what that IP address will be.  The whole point of DHCP is that the clients don't have a fixed, permanently assigned IP address.  They get an address assigned from a pool of addresses, and there is no guarantee that they will get the same address the next time they start up.

I always worked VBOX in brigeded mode because I can access files in network allways thus, don't bulk the VM HD used space.

sol.beach, here is the output

Many of us work at places that block links like that. And even if they don't, why should we have to go somewhere else to see it?   Why can't you just place the output directly into your post?

• 5. Re: network adapter could not establish the connection: IO error
                  FTSBrasil

Sorry, my answer is very incomplete.

1) I'm just saying we use 10 VM with different sorts of configuration including 6 different database softwares.

2) I might be wrong with some specific terms, but I know the general operation of DHCP. Is it possible to use fixed IP with Bridged mode NIC only ?

2.1) Do i have to reserve address on router ?

3) How can I view the instance name or database I created during Oracle Database setup?

4) C:\Windows\system32>lsnrctl status

LSNRCTL for 64-bit Windows: Version 12.1.0.1.0 - Production on 27-ABR-2015 17:38:11

Copyright (c) 1991, 2013, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Establishing connection with (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC1521)))
                  TNS-12541: TNS:There is no listener
                  TNS-12560: TNS:Protocol adapter error
                    TNS-00511: There is no listener
                     64-bit Windows Error: 2: No such file or directory
                  Establishing connection with (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=192.168.25.15)(PORT=1521)))
                  TNS-12535: TNS:Operation timeout
                    TNS-00505: Operation timeout
                     64-bit Windows Error: 60: Unknown error

C:\Windows\system32>lsnrctl service

LSNRCTL for 64-bit Windows: Version 12.1.0.1.0 - Production on 27-ABR-2015 17:47:43

Establishing connection with (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC1521)))
                  Establishing connection with (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=192.168.25.15)(PORT=1521)))

• 6. Re: network adapter could not establish the connection: IO error
                    user10890219

Yes you can have bridged only. In my VM environment i have bridged  for Public ip set up.

• 7. Re: network adapter could not establish the connection: IO error
                      FTSBrasil

Do you reserve address for guest VM on your router?

• 8. Re: network adapter could not establish the connection: IO error
                        user10890219

Yes i setup guest IP address manually instead of DHCP

• 9. Re: Re: network adapter could not establish the connection: IO error
                          EdStevens

FTSBrasil wrote:

Sorry, my answer is very incomplete.

1) I'm just saying we use 10 VM with different sorts of configuration including 6 different database softwares.

2) I might be wrong with some specific terms, but I know the general operation of DHCP. Is it possible to use fixed IP with Bridged mode NIC only ?

2.1) Do i have to reserve address on router ?

If you use the bridged adapter, then your VM is running on the same (corporate) network as is the host.  It gets its own IP address on that network.  Yes it is possible to have a fixed IP on that, but you'd need to coordinate that with your network administrator.  One more reason I run hostonly.  I don't WANT to have any exposure to the corporate network.  I don't NEED to access any resources on the corporate network.

3) How can I view the instance name or database I created during Oracle Database setup?

Don't you remember what you specified?

If the OS is *nix, you should be able to see what has been created by viewing /etc/oratab.  you should be able to see what is actually running with the command 'ps -ef | grep pmon

If the OS is Windblows, look at services.msc

4) C:\Windows\system32>lsnrctl status

LSNRCTL for 64-bit Windows: Version 12.1.0.1.0 - Production on 27-ABR-2015 17:38:11

Most likely you have listener.ora with a hard-coded IP address that is no longer the address of the guest machine. And/or it is relying on /etc/hosts to give it that, and that file is no longer correct.  All reasons to be using fixed IP addresses and not DHCP.  Trying to run a server with DHCP (and those guests are servers) is like trying to run a business when your address and telephone number changes at random intervals.

• 10. Re: network adapter could not establish the connection: IO error
                            FTSBrasil

According to Ed Stevens blog

Your router never knows they are there, because they never even access the physical NIC on the host system.

I can't reserve address to guest VM on router.

1)Exposure is a good reason to follow your article guidelines. But here isn't really a problem.

3)the instance name or db engine should be OracleServicedbname ? please which term is common to oracle community ?

4)listener.ora is coded with wrong guest machine ip address. I might change HOST in it to the hostname set in hosts file. which I point to the non-routable IP for the loopback adapter.

As my second reply in this discussion, following this guide, we could actually set a server with DHCP, with loopback adapter. I didn't mention this earlier, that you got mislead about the DHCP matter. Couldn't we ?

But, in this environment, can we still access the guest machine database server from a remote machine within the network? Or just from the host machine ?

• 11. Re: Re: network adapter could not establish the connection: IO error
                              EdStevens

FTSBrasil wrote:

According to Ed Stevens blog

Your router never knows they are there, because they never even access the physical NIC on the host system.

I can't reserve address to guest VM on router.

1)Exposure is a good reason to follow your article guidelines. But here isn't really a problem.

I guess that depends on how you define "problem".  you seem to be having a problem trying to configure it to work on your corporate network.

Let's ask it the other way around.  Do you have a NEED for these vm's to be able to service clients from outside the host?

3)the instance name or db engine should be OracleServicedbname ? please which term is common to oracle community ?

"OracleServicedbname" is the name of the Windows service that is necessary to run the database instance.  In that construct, the instance name (and most likely the db name as well, they aren't the same concept) would be simply "dbname".  This concept of an os service doesn't even exist on *nix.  Another reason I abhor Windows.

4)listener.ora is coded with wrong guest machine ip address. I might change HOST in it to the hostname set in hosts file. which I point to the non-routable IP for the loopback adapter.

Then the listener will only listen for traffic from that address .. 127.0.0.1 (or 'localhost', - its the same).  And that means the listener will never be able to receive a connection request from any other machine.  Rather pointless, woudn't you say?

As my second reply in this discussion, following this guide, we could actually set a server with DHCP, with loopback adapter. I didn't mention this earlier, that you got mislead about the DHCP matter. Couldn't we ?

No. You assign a non-routable address to the loopback adapter.  See my previous comment.

But, in this environment, can we still access the guest machine database server from a remote machine within the network? Or just from the host machine ?

You can get to the guest machine from some other non-host machine in the network as long as it has an IP address that is known to the network.

There are ways to restrict the range of IP addresses assigned to a device by dhcp.  So you get a dhcp address but assigned from a range of one single address.

• 12. Re: network adapter could not establish the connection: IO error
                                FTSBrasil

OK you clear things out. I uninstalled loopback adapter.

You are asking if they (databases servers) can be reachable outside host ? Yes, I need it.

Well I change listener.ora host = ip to current ip of the guest machine and also set fixed ip on network adapter. Didn't seem to help anyway. Still getting the same 'could not establish connection' error.

The "dbname" is what I set on SID to start the connection ?

• 14. Re: Re: network adapter could not establish the connection: IO error
                                  EdStevens

FTSBrasil wrote:

OK you clear things out. I uninstalled loopback adapter.

You are asking if they (databases servers) can be reachable outside host ? Yes, I need it.

I'll have to take your word for it.  But it does also hit at something else that has been bothering me.  You say you have 7 vm's running on this host.  What OS is the host running?  How much memory does the host have?  The ram allocated to each vm is taken from real ram on the host.  If I define my vm's at a very modest 2gb each, and bring up 3 vm's simultaneously, that's 6gb of real memory on the host OS.  Do the math for your own system.

It could very well be that your needs are such that you should forget VBox, which was designed to be a small desktop based virtualization product, and go to an entrprise solution like VMware or Oracle VM.  If you really need to have the vm's access by clients across the network, then you MUST give them a fixed (not dhcp) IP address on the corporate network and use a bridged adapter.  You MUST coordinate this with your network admins.

Well I change listener.ora host = ip to current ip of the guest machine and also set fixed ip on network adapter. Didn't seem to help anyway. Still getting the same 'could not establish connection' error.

I'm afraid you've made so many changes at this point that I've lost track.  That's one reason I keep emphasizing principles and fundamentals.

The "dbname" is what I set on SID to start the connection ?

I'm not sure what you mean by "set on SID to start the connection".

If you are talking about a network connection, then in your tnsnames.ora file, 'dbname' is what you put in the 'SERVICE_NAME' parameter.

1 2 Previous Next