10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2015 7:55 AM by Maahjoor

image path problem

Maahjoor

Dear all,

i have installed apex 5 on windows 8.1 with ords 3.

when i configured with pl/sql gateway, i was able to open the apex fine.

but oracle says that it is depricated and we should use restful services.

now, when i tried to use the restful services by disabling the pl/sql gateway and running the ords iin standalone mode,

java -jar ords.war

when i navigate to the url

localhost:8080/ords

i receive this error

There is a problem with your environment because the Application Express files have not been loaded. Please verify that you have copied the images directory to your application server as instructed in the Installation Guide. In addition, please verify that your image prefix path is correct. Your current path is /i/ (it should contain both starting and ending forward slashes, such as the default /i/). Use the SQL script reset_image_prefix.sql if you need to change it.

please guide me how to fix this?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: image path problem
          Kiran Pawar

Hi Maahjoor,

Maahjoor wrote:

i have installed apex 5 on windows 8.1 with ords 3.

when i configured with pl/sql gateway, i was able to open the apex fine.

but oracle says that it is depricated and we should use restful services.

Have you configured RESTful Services while configuring ORDS 3.0?

• Have you Configured RESTful Services while installing Oracle APEX?

Refer : https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E59726_01/install.50/e39144/listener.htm#HTMIG29335

Refer : http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E56351_01/doc.30/e56293/install.htm#CHDGAAHJ

The Configuring Static File Support in the Application Express Installation Guide(using ORDS) says:

The configuration of RESTful Services is required when upgrading to Oracle Application Express release 5.0 and RESTful Services were not configured in a previous release.

now, when i tried to use the restful services by disabling the pl/sql gateway and running the ords iin standalone mode,

java -jar ords.war

It is recommended in the Oracle Documentation to not to use ORDS in standalone mode for production deployments.

Refer : http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E56351_01/doc.30/e56293/install.htm#AELIG7022

It is recommended to deploy ORDS to a Supported Java EE Application Servers.

when i navigate to the url

localhost:8080/ords

i receive this error

There is a problem with your environment because the Application Express files have not been loaded. Please verify that you have copied the images directory to your application server as instructed in the Installation Guide. In addition, please verify that your image prefix path is correct. Your current path is /i/ (it should contain both starting and ending forward slashes, such as the default /i/). Use the SQL script reset_image_prefix.sql if you need to change it.

What is the image prefix parameter you passed while installing Oracle APEX using apexins.sql?

If you still want to use ORDS standalone, make sure you have set the correct images path in ORDS configuration.(the full OS directory path to apex/images where you have unzipped APEX 5.0 viz. apex_5.0.zip installables). If you want to reset the image path for standalone ORDS use:

java -jar ords.war standalone --apex-images /path/to/apex/images

Regards,

Kiran

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Re: image path problem
            Maahjoor

Thank you kiran,

you are giving me right direction i know, because i never post a clear question,

somehow , i manage like below

i disabled the mod pl/sql

i run @apxldmig.sql c:\app  (because my apex folder is just under app folder.)

then i follow the documentations for deploying to glass fish server

i copy the images folder from apex to ords folder

and finaly i copy and rename ords/conf/apex_pu.xml to ords/conf/apex.xml

and i was able to deploy it to glassfish server.

i am sorry i didn't put the detailed instructions since i am in a bit hurry, i may update this thread later.

i appriciate your kind help, time and guidance.

Thank you dear.

• 3. Re: Re: Re: image path problem
              Kiran Pawar

Hi Maahjoor,

Maahjoor wrote:

The use of apxldimg.sql script is not required to load images in ORDS. The script is used to load images to Embedded PL/SQL Gateway when you are configuring EPG as web server for Oracle APEX.

If you want to configure images for Standalone ORDS then use the following command:

java -jar ords.war standalone --apex-images C:\app\apex\images

As you are deploying ORDS to Oracle Glassfish Server (no need of above command) follow the following steps:

• Create i.war using the following command:
              java -jar ords.war static C:\app\apex\images

This command will create i.war with your static images reference.

Refer : http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E56351_01/doc.30/e56293/install.htm#AELIG7044

• Log-in into Glassfish Server Administration Console and deploy the i.war:

Refer : http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E56351_01/doc.30/e56293/install.htm#AELIG7222

For more information refer : Deploying ORDS to Glassfish Server

Regards,

Kiran

• 4. Re: Re: Re: Re: image path problem
                Maahjoor

Hi Kiran,

The use of apxldimg.sql script is not required to load images in ORDS. The script is used to load images to Embedded PL/SQL Gateway when you are configuring EPG as web server for Oracle APEX.

thank you, i correct myself.

If you want to configure images for Standalone ORDS then use the following command:

1. java -jar ords.war standalone --apex-images C:\app\apex\images 

the path would be permanently set or i have to give this path each time i start in stand alone?

As you are deploying ORDS to Oracle Glassfish Server (no need of above command) follow the following steps:

1. java -jar ords.war static C:\app\apex\images 

This command will create i.war with your static images reference.    Refer : http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E56351_01/doc.30/e56293/install.htm#AELIG7044

i followed like that and i was receiveing the error i already post. but may be i had mixed things up, i.e. i configured Pl/Sql gateway, run the epg script.

somehow, next time i will follow your guidelines.

I really appreciate you kind help dear.

Thank you.

• 5. Re: Re: Re: image path problem
                  Kiran Pawar

Hi Maahjoor,

Maahjoor wrote:

1. java -jar ords.war standalone --apex-images C:\app\apex\images

the path would be permanently set or i have to give this path each time i start in stand alone?

No, the path for apex-images and http port for standalone mode you have to set once (which will be saved to ORDS configuration), and later you can start ORDS in standalone mode with just the following command:

java -jar ords.war

Refer : http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E56351_01/doc.30/e56293/install.htm#AELIG7024

1. java -jar ords.war static C:\app\apex\images 

This command will create i.war with your static images reference.    Refer : http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E56351_01/doc.30/e56293/install.htm#AELIG7044

i followed like that and i was receiveing the error i already post. but may be i had mixed things up, i.e. i configured Pl/Sql gateway, run the epg script.

somehow, next time i will follow your guidelines.

Now, I am also running out of suggestions as I can only predict what is happening.

Is the EPG up and running? If yes which port? For Glassfish Server deployed ORDS application you are using which port?

If you are configuring all the three web server options in parallel, I would like to advise to keep different ports for different web servers:

• Embedded PL/SQL Gateway : Run this on say port 9090.
                  • ORDS Standalone : Run this on say port 7070.
                  • ORDS Deployed on Glassfish Server : Run this on say port 8080.

NOTE : Make sure that the ports are free and no other software service is running on the ports you are using for installation.

For debugging the images issue you are facing on ORDS Standalone/ORDS + OGS:

For checking whether the issue is due to software incompatibility share the following info:

• Detail APEX Version
                  • Detail Oracle Database Version
                  • Detail ORDS Version
                  • Detail Oracle Glassfish Server Version
                  • Detail JDK Version

NOTE : Here "Detail" means the major+minor version. For e.g. Application Express 4.2.4.00.08

Regards,

Kiran

• 6. Re: Re: Re: Re: image path problem
                    Maahjoor

Thank you dear.

• Embedded PL/SQL Gateway : Run this on say port 9090.
                    • ORDS Standalone : Run this on say port 7070.
                    • ORDS Deployed on Glassfish Server : Run this on say port 8080.

i would only run glassfish which is on port 8080.

For debugging the images issue you are facing on ORDS Standalone/ORDS + OGS:

so informative, thanks again.

For checking whether the issue is due to software incompatibility share the following info:

• Detail APEX Version
                    • Detail Oracle Database Version
                    • Detail ORDS Version
                    • Detail Oracle Glassfish Server Version
                    • Detail JDK Version

NOTE : Here "Detail" means the major+minor version. For e.g. Application Express 4.2.4.00.08

1. Apex is the lates version available on oracle site now a days.

2. oracle database 12c Enterprise Edition Release 12.1.0.2.0 64bit.

3. ORDS 3.0.0.121.10.23

4. GlassFish Server Open Source Edition 4.1

5. Java (TM) SE Runtime Envrionment (build 1.8.0_45-b15) simply it is JDK 8u45

my os is windows server 2012.

but now it is running fine, it is working on glassfish server.

Thank you.

• 7. Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: image path problem
                      Kiran Pawar

Hi Maahjoor,

1. Apex is the lates version available on oracle site now a days.

2. oracle database 12c Enterprise Edition Release 12.1.0.2.0 64bit.

3. ORDS 3.0.0.121.10.23

4. GlassFish Server Open Source Edition 4.1

5. Java (TM) SE Runtime Envrionment (build 1.8.0_45-b15) simply it is JDK 8u45

my os is windows server 2012.

Thank you for the detailed information. You are using the correct software mentioned in the system requirements.

Refer : http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E56351_01/doc.30/e56293/install.htm#AELIG7175

but now it is running fine, it is working on glassfish server.

Do you mean the images issue is resolved now? APEX is running on Glassfish Server?

If yes then please share what resolved it, so that it will help other forum members with same/similar issue.

Regards,

Kiran

• 8. Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: image path problem
                        Maahjoor

Do you mean the images issue is resolved now? APEX is running on Glassfish Server?

If yes then please share what resolved it, so that it will help other forum members with same/similar issue.

i have already post it in my previous reply

you are giving me right direction i know, because i never post a clear question,

i copy the images folder from apex to ords folder

but i would like to include something from your reply to my duplicate thread

problem with ords 3.0

where you said

Maahjoor wrote:

it was not there, and i just copy apex_pu.xml to apex.xml. and it start working

could you tell me whether this is the right apporach? or we could generate the apex.xml by some other means?

No, you do not need to copy the configuration files manually. The are built while configuring the ORDS in configuration folder. The missing configuration file may be the result of wrong configuration choice during configuration of ORDS.

Refer : Colm Divilly's reply in the following thread Re: Re: ORDS 3 404 Error

NOTE : The term "PL/SQL Gateway" refers to the Oracle APEX configuration with ORDS and has to do nothing with Embedded PL/SQL Gateway (EPG) which is one of the web listener options used for Oracle APEX.

so in my case, when i was configuing the ORDS, it was asking for PL/SQL Gateway and i was skiping this option beacuse i was thinking that PL/SQL Gateway and Embedded PL/SQL Gateway (EPG) both are the same thing. thanks for correction dear.

Thank you.

• 9. Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: image path problem
                          Kiran Pawar

Hi Maahjoor,

Maahjoor wrote:

but i would like to include something from your reply to my duplicate thread

problem with ords 3.0

where you said

Maahjoor wrote:

it was not there, and i just copy apex_pu.xml to apex.xml. and it start working

could you tell me whether this is the right apporach? or we could generate the apex.xml by some other means?

No, you do not need to copy the configuration files manually. The are built while configuring the ORDS in configuration folder. The missing configuration file may be the result of wrong configuration choice during configuration of ORDS.

Refer : Colm Divilly's reply in the following thread Re: Re: ORDS 3 404 Error

NOTE : The term "PL/SQL Gateway" refers to the Oracle APEX configuration with ORDS and has to do nothing with Embedded PL/SQL Gateway (EPG) which is one of the web listener options used for Oracle APEX.

so in my case, when i was configuing the ORDS, it was asking for PL/SQL Gateway and i was skiping this option beacuse i was thinking that PL/SQL Gateway and Embedded PL/SQL Gateway (EPG) both are the same thing. thanks for correction dear.

See my reply in that thread : Re: problem with ords 3.0

Also as to notify I have modified the reply you have reference above to include:

The ORDS configuration itself creates the required files(no need to manually copy) and which configuration files contains which information is mentioned here:

Refer : http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E56351_01/doc.30/e56293/config_file.htm#AELIG7201

Regards,

Kiran

• 10. Re: image path problem
                            Maahjoor

Thank you so much. you have cleared a lot of things to me.

Regards,