1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2015 11:57 AM by Soofi

Summary Page in Oracle Apex

Soofi

Hi All,

Greetings and Good day,

I am using Oracle APEX 4.2 in 12c db.

Recently I created a Mobile Application having a form on a table.

I am having two buttons in that form

1.Post (Insert the records in table)

2.Cancel (Redirect to Home Page)

Now My requirement is to have a Preview of the entered details before inserting the records to the table.

I saw a form type called Summary Page (having read-only items of my current form) but the problem is I am getting null values (because I didn't insert the records to the db).And Moreover no further documentations found helpful regarding Summary Page.

Is there any way to Achieve this?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Soofi

• 1. Re: Summary Page in Oracle Apex
          Sunil Bhatia

Hi,

Make use of APEX_COLLECTIONS to load your temporary data. It will be session specific, and APEX_COLLECTIONS can be modified, deleted as well.

-- Sunil Bhatia

• 2. Re: Summary Page in Oracle Apex
            Soofi

Thanks Sunil,

I will take a look at the APEX_COLLECTIONS but for Summary Page, APEX Says

A summary page displays a read only representation of items from other pages. Summary pages are typically used for confirmation wizards. The source page is the page that contains the items to be shown as display-only items on the summary page. If a summary page already exists, enter a page or select from the popup search. To create a new summary page, enter a new page and specify a page name.

As Summary pages are typically used for confirmation wizards then how to send to send uncommitted values from my form to this summary page?

Regards,

Soofi

• 3. Re: Summary Page in Oracle Apex
              Scott Wesley

Everything is committed on page submit, so the information has to go somewhere in the db, hence the suggestion of collections.

I'd say you would build a summary page (or something like it, I'm not sure what you're quoting) based on your collection, then insert into your actual tables from the collection on accept.

• 4. Re: Summary Page in Oracle Apex
                Kiran Pawar

Hi Soofi,

Soofi wrote:

I will take a look at the APEX_COLLECTIONS but for Summary Page, APEX Says

A summary page displays a read only representation of items from other pages. Summary pages are typically used for confirmation wizards. The source page is the page that contains the items to be shown as display-only items on the summary page. If a summary page already exists, enter a page or select from the popup search. To create a new summary page, enter a new page and specify a page name.

As Summary pages are typically used for confirmation wizards then how to send to send uncommitted values from my form to this summary page?

Are you using summary page items to insert/update viz. post in your table? As the summary page items are read only, they might not be saved in session state.

Either use original page items session state while posting to your table OR set the read only item attributes property "Save Session State" to "Yes" on summary page and then use them.

Regards,

Kiran

• 5. Re: Summary Page in Oracle Apex
                  Soofi

Hi Kiran thanks for your reply,

The documentation on summary page seems to be very close to my requirement that's why I am speaking about summary page here.

My requirement is to show a confirmation message/popup in a form before POST (inserting the records to db).

But I need your advice on handling this scenario.

Regards,

Soofi

• 6. Re: Summary Page in Oracle Apex
                    Soofi

Thanks Scott,

So you are advising me to submit the page.

Then what will happen to my computation,validation and page processes?

It will be OK for me to have a POPUP of what I have entered in the form and I dont do any submit in that popup but when I close the popup I need to return to my form with the values I have entered.

Regards,

Soofi

• 7. Re: Summary Page in Oracle Apex
                      Soofi

Have a look at my try @

https://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=19560

Login Details:

workspace :MYWS_NET

username: GUEST

Password: Mani_2    

Regards,

Soofi

• 8. Re: Summary Page in Oracle Apex
                        Sunil Bhatia

Just logic-wise, i need to understand, why you wish to show only summary page for confirmation to user?

You can also put a confirm dialog where you can ask user, "this information is submitting. Are you sure you wish to proceed?" something like that would do the same work which you need to do.

• 9. Re: Summary Page in Oracle Apex
                          Soofi

Yes Sunil You are right,

The form I am having has more than 30 Columns and It have some default values.

If a user just enter mandatory Columns (say 4) then after hitting the post button he should see what are the columns entered by him with the default values.

Will you please share anything about creating apex collections.

Thanks and regards,

Soofi

• 10. Re: Summary Page in Oracle Apex
                            Sunil Bhatia

Sure Soofi,

Here is APEX_COLLECTIONS documentation.

http://docs.oracle.com/database/121/AEAPI/apex_collection.htm

In short, when you are going for submit button, you can create an APEX_COLLECTION and load all available data on page to application session. And on load of your summary page retrieve the data from collection.

If user is fine with the data, you can save it from collection. If user is not happy, click on back can Truncate complete collection, and can be created again after his modification

Hope it helps

• 11. Re: Summary Page in Oracle Apex
                              Bakhtiyar

Hi  Soofi

Use temporary table.Create temp table then show as report

• 12. Re: Summary Page in Oracle Apex
                                Scott Wesley

Here is an interesting use case for collections

http://joelkallman.blogspot.com.au/2008/03/preserving-checked-checkboxes-in-report.html

There is also a sample application dedicated to them.

• 13. Re: Summary Page in Oracle Apex
                                  fac586

Soofi wrote:

The form I am having has more than 30 Columns and It have some default values.

If a user just enter mandatory Columns (say 4) then after hitting the post button he should see what are the columns entered by him with the default values.

A Summary Page is used to display session state values prior to processing, not database table values after processing. The conceptual model is that the user will enter values into page items on one or more form pages, these values will be stored temporarily in session state, displayed from session state on the summary page, and then saved permanently to database tables using processes defined on (or called from) the summary page.

Collections can be used for temporary storage of wizard values instead of standard session state. This is only actually required for repeating values where there is a 1:M or M:M relationship in the captured data, although it is also helpful where the data is processed by stored procedures as they can simply read rows from APEX_COLLECTIONS rather than programmatically referencing session state values.

Where/how are the default values supplied? Using default values at column level in the database is not helpful in this case as the intention is to capture and review all of the required data before inserting it into the table.

You may have to rethink the design of your processing here.

• 14. Re: Summary Page in Oracle Apex
                                    fac586

Bakhtiyar Khanbutayev wrote:

Hi  Soofi

Use temporary table.Create temp table then show as report

Global Temporary Tables are not recommended for use with APEX. GTTs are bound to database sessions, so On Commit Preserve Rows GTTs won't work with connection pooling. One DB session may be used to populate the GTT and render the page, but if a different one is picked up on page submission, those GTT rows will not exist in that session. On Commit Delete Rows GTTs are even more problematic, as APEX will issue commits in circumstances that are not obvious to most developers. This is why Collections—one of the APEX session state features—are recommended for temporary structured storage.

1 2 Previous Next