3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2015 11:57 AM by Timo Hahn

create search LOV on large data retreived from webservice

Madhavanand

I have a requirement where user needs a search LOV with auto suggest behaviour on large data.(around 50000 rows). data is NOT retrieved from db but queried from webservice.

I have the following questions on achieving this functionality.

1. To create a search LOV, we need a LOV data model. I am planning to create a programmatic VO using the data and create an LOV with this VO. But with such large data, I am not sure it will work. Please suggest me if there are any ways for achieving this? Are there any documents that refer to handling large data using programatic VO's?

2. Currently the data from web service is obtained in XML format. So is there any feature in adf where we can create a search LOV using XML data?

JDeveloper version: 11.1.1.7.1

Thanks in advance..

Madhav.

• 1. Re: create search LOV on large data retreived from webservice
          Timo Hahn

Well, I would suggest to some how not to transfer all data into your model. By search LOV you mean an af:inputListOfValues?

Regarding the XML data I would use the XML data control (Powerful and Easy ADF Data Control for XML Data [ARTICLE] and Tutorial: Powerful and Easy ADF Data Control for XML Data - Part 1 [ARTICLE]) which allows you to build a data control from the xml payload of the web service. This data control you then use as you would use a normal data control. To my knowledge it even helps by caching results, but please confirm this by reading the article.

Timo

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: create search LOV on large data retreived from webservice
            Madhavanand

Thanks Timo for your response.

. By search LOV you mean an af:inputListOfValues?

Yes. I am looking to implement using inputlistofvalues component. Do we have any alternative for this scenario?

I went through the tutorials. It works like a normal data control where we can set range size on iterator etc. Using this I can create a select one choice.  But for large data I don't think its feasible.

In general how can we handle such scenarios with large data? Please suggest if there are any use cases.

Thanks,

Madhav.

• 3. Re: create search LOV on large data retreived from webservice
              Timo Hahn

I think the xml data control is still your best choice. You can extend it by implementing some kind of cache (coherance, or ehcache or ....) to store already queried data for your autosuggest. Then it'll be as fast as possible.

As you want an autosuggest you have to query the webservice (I hope there is a method where you can query for data qualified by a parameter (the users entered data). One other thing I suggest is to not call the web service for every character entered by the user but e.h. let the user hit a special key combination to ask for the autosuggest data. This will limit the number of calls (and the daa to transfer) to the web service. The less hit you get the better is the user experiance.

Timo

1 person found this helpful