8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2016 8:04 AM by jaramill

Should I take 1z0-061 or 1z0-047?

I passed OCP 804 exam last month and now want to prepare for a database exam. Should I take 1z0-061 (Oracle Database 12c: SQL Fundamentals) or 1z0-047 (Oracle Database SQL Expert)? What's the difference between these two exams? Is it correct that we should first pass 1z0-061 before taking 1z0-047? Thank you for your time and help.

• 1. Re: Should I take 1z0-061 or 1z0-047?
          Matthew Morris

I wrote an article on this topic (well almost) a couple of years back.  It's actually about 1Z0-051 vs 1Z0-047... but the differences between 051 and 061 are few and far between.  The article works as well if you squint and pretend that all of the 051's are 061's.

Oracle SQL Certification: 1Z0-051 or 1Z0-047? | GoCertify

For that matter -- I wrote an article comparing 1Z0-051 to 1Z0-061:

Oracle Certification Prep: Oracle's SQL Fundamentals Exams and Database Releases

• 2. Re: Should I take 1z0-061 or 1z0-047?

Dear Matt, Thank you for your reply. I googled and read your article; now I have a better understanding of 1z0-061 and 1z0-047. Basically, 1z0-047 is harder than 1z0-061. But no pain, no gain! I decide to head for 1z0-047. I do have a further question about 1z0-047. After passing 1z0-047 exam, can I get OCA in the database track? Will I get a certificate? Thank you for your time and help.

• 3. Re: Should I take 1z0-061 or 1z0-047?
              jaramill

3131657 wrote:

But no pain, no gain! I decide to head for 1z0-047. I do have a further question about 1z0-047. After passing 1z0-047 exam, can I get OCA in the database track? Will I get a certificate? Thank you for your time and help.

I can answer this as I did the same.  I went for the hardest exam and that's 1Z0-047, which when you pass you get the Oracle Database SQL Certified Expert certification.

With that said, the 1Z0-047 exam is one out of 3 exams

you can take to satisfy the 1st requirement for the OCA (Oracle PL/SQL Developer Certified Associate).

The 2nd requirement is passing 1 of 2 exams:

1. 1Z0-144 exam Oracle Database 11g: Program with PL/SQL
              2. 1Z0-147 exam Program with PL/SQL

But I believe 147 is no longer being offered after this year, so you are better off with the later version 144.

Pass that, and combined with your OCE in SQL, you'll now have your OCA PL/SQL, like I did.

Study hard.

• 4. Re: Should I take 1z0-061 or 1z0-047?

Dear jaramill,

thank you for your detailed reply. Oh my god, I finally understand that SQL Database has two different certification tracks,  PL/SQL and administrator. It seems the highest level for the PL/SQL track is Professional after passing 1Z0-146 exam while the highest level for the administrator track is Master after passing 11GOCM.

Can you tell me whether the Oracle Database 12 had been released when you took the 1Z0-047 exam? The reason why I asked this is: I assume you were using Steve O'Hearn's book to prepare for your exam (right?) but that book was written against Oracle Database 11. That's why I am concerned whether this book is too old.

In the end, would you mind telling me how long you spent for preparation and whether you did some mock exams (if yes, what are they)? Thank you again for your time and help.

• 5. Re: Should I take 1z0-061 or 1z0-047?
                  Matthew Morris

The reason why I asked this is: I assume you were using Steve O'Hearn's book to prepare for your exam (right?) but that book was written against Oracle Database 11. That's why I am concerned whether this book is too old.

Steve's current book does not have the topics added in the 12c upgrade, it's true.  It still has about 90% of the topics.  He is writing/has written a new revision of the book that is scheduled to be out July of next year.  There is also the Oracle Certification Prep study guide that I wrote for the exam out.  It has been updated for the current topics list.  I *think* that's what jaramill used (although he may have also used Steve's book -- many people use both).  At the least, I know he has used my study guides for some of the exams he has taken. 

...and whether you did some mock exams (if yes, what are they)?

There are  only a handful of practice tests for this exam that are legitimate (i.e. not brain dumps).  That's the two Kaplan vendors: Self Test Software and Transcender, UCertify, and the Oracle Certification Prep practice tests that I developed.  You can find links for three of the four at my 1Z0-047 study resources page below:

Oracle Certification Prep: Exam details and preparation resources for 1Z0-047

• 6. Re: Should I take 1z0-061 or 1z0-047?
                    jaramill

3131657 wrote:

Dear jaramill,

Can you tell me whether the Oracle Database 12 had been released when you took the 1Z0-047 exam? The reason why I asked this is: I assume you were using Steve O'Hearn's book to prepare for your exam (right?) but that book was written against Oracle Database 11. That's why I am concerned whether this book is too old.

In the end, would you mind telling me how long you spent for preparation and whether you did some mock exams (if yes, what are they)? Thank you again for your time and help.

Yes there are two tracks...one for a Developer, one for a DBA.  As Matthew mentioned, not only did I use his study guides for taking (and passing) the OCE - Database SQL (1Z0-047) as well as the OCA - PL/SQL Developer (1Z0-144), I did read Steve O'Hearn's book to prepare for this exam and yes it was the OLDER version that was written with 11g database as 12c was not out yet.  And I have submitted (back in summer of 2014), a whole list of errata to the author, and hopefully Steve's publisher will make those fixes.  I wish I had taken the exam with the new changes but I took it 6 months before they announced the changes.  The one thing that I didn't have on the exam was questions on analytic functions, which WILL BE on the new updated version of the exam for 12c.

So as Matthew mentioned, Steve's book is coming out in mid-next year but I wouldn't wait, and just use his current older book, buy Matthew's exam guides, and buy either Self-Test Kaplan's practice exams or Transcender (which is ALSO owned by Kaplan).  And Matthew also now provides a practice exam as well.  Out of all 3, I would say Matthew's exam is as close to difficulty and reality of the real Oracle exam than Self-Test or Transcender, at a fraction of the cost.  But Self-Test and Transcender are still worth it as you get lots of content.  Use Matthew's exam as the LAST thing before taking the real one.

As for how long I prepared, it all depends on everyone's situation.  I'm single, no family (i.e. wife/kids) and just my full-time job, so with that said, by studying a little while at work, then after work at home for an hour on weeknights, and then fully on weekends, I would say a good 4-5 months before I felt confident in registering for the exam to take it and PASS it on the first try.  Only until you feel confident should you register.  Don't want to have to pay AGAIN to retake it.  They're very expensive ($250/exam).

Hope this answers your questions.

• 7. Re: Should I take 1z0-061 or 1z0-047?

Dear jaramill,

I'm happy to tell you that I passed my 047 exam this afternoon w my score of 77. Although the score is not high, but given that I only spent 9 days on preparing this exam, this result is acceptable to me. I started to read Steve O'Hearn's book from last Tue, which took me one whole week. Then yesterday morning, I went to Oracle website to learn the other new things not covered in Steve O'Hearn's book, like pivot and unpivot clause, analytical functions, and pattern matching. I, yesterday afternoon, then did the mock exam contained in the CD of Steve O'Hearn's book. That's the whole process of my preparation for 047. I'd say the following loudly to future exam-takers:

i) Since the 2nd edition of Steve O'Hearn's book has not come up, you should browse SQL reference manual for the new exam topics not covered in the current edition. I'd say there were around 10 questions not covered in Steve O'Hearn's book.

ii) Don't be misguided! The mock exam in the CD of Steve O'Hearn's book has only 67 questions, but the actual exam has 75 questions. Actually I had 2 questions unanswered in my exam b/c of running out of time.

ii) Even you have prepare very carefully for this exam, don't be surprised to find very bizarre questions which should be appearing in the more advanced SQL performance tuning exam.

iii) Be ready to see quite a few questions asking you to "Choose all that apply", instead of those telling you to choose how many correct answers. I had at least 5 questions like this in my 047 exam. I didn't see such question formats in my Java programmer OCP exam, and because of it, I'd say 047 exam is harder than 804 (Java OCP) exam. And yes my 804 score (83) is higher than 047.

Good luck for future 047 exam-takers!

• 8. Re: Should I take 1z0-061 or 1z0-047?
                        jaramill

Congrats on passing the exam.  Whether you passed it with a high score or low score, you PASSED.  Whatever percentage Oracle deemed necessary to get right in order to be "certified" in that specialty is all that matters.

And I agree with your comments for future exam takers...especially your first point.....READ THE MANUAL online for SQL.  That is what I'd like to say "straight from the horse's mouth".  The horse being Oracle Documentation.