5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2016 8:05 AM by Philip Stoyanov-Oracle

Import - Data Dictionary - From SQL Server prefixing the database name to all objects

Ryan13

Hi,

I'm using SDDM 4.1.3 to reverse engineer a SQL 2014 database. When I Import a Data Dictionary it creates the Relational Model without error. However, the database name is prefixed to all the database objects schemas.

For example, when importing database AAA table dbo.MyTable I get AAA_dbo.MyTable in the Relational Model.

Is it possible to not display the "AAA_" or otherwise not have the relation model show that? I know what database it is in based on the Model, no need to have it prefixed to every object.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Import - Data Dictionary - From SQL Server prefixing the database name to all objects
          Kent Graziano

I had not seen that when reverse engineering from SQL Server. I bet there is a preference somewhere to control that. You can turn off the display of the schema name in the diagram by unchecking it on the View Details property on the right mouse menu in the diagram.

• 2. Re: Import - Data Dictionary - From SQL Server prefixing the database name to all objects
            Paavo

1st check this and earn 500 points in the forum: Welcome Aboard! Mission

To show only object names in the relational model, right click on background/canvas and toggle the schema-name off:

To remove the schema name per object, open the properties per object and look general tab and schema-name.

Especially if you don't want to have schema-name like *dbo.table_name

If you don't want to use the sqlserver anymore then maybe you could import the model from your Oracle db and start working with that model, so it is pure Oracle especially if you like to use the compare-functionalities in the future and compare your model with the Oracle dictionary.

There is also options for the DDL in the SDDM preferences, which you might want to try:

- Preferences -- DataModeller -- DDL --  DDL/Comparison -- Use "Schema" Property in Compare functionality

- Preferences -- DataModeller -- DDL --  DDL/Storage -- DDL Storage options for Import and Export -- omit those before you get the model ok?

- Preferences -- DataModeller -- Model -- Relational -- Database Synchronization: Use source connection/schema

- Preferences -- DataModeller -- Model -- Physical --  SQL Server -- Defaults -- Default Database

I recommend that before you use the compare/sync buttons for your full database, you practice first with smaller test database:

rgrds Paavo

• 3. Re: Import - Data Dictionary - From SQL Server prefixing the database name to all objects
              Ryan13

Thanks for the replies.

I can turn of the schema in the relational model, but I don't want to do that as I'm working with multiple schemas.

If you modify the name of the Schema in the relational model it'll change them all in the model. So, a relatively easy fix. But, I still can't find a way to prevent it from importing that way.

• 4. Re: Import - Data Dictionary - From SQL Server prefixing the database name to all objects
                Paavo

Couple of things to you could try as well :

- create connections to all your schemas (databases in sqlserver) in SqlDeveloper and export the connections with passwords (encrypted) and import them to DataModeler, so you have consistent connections everywhere

- think how to split sqlservers databases (folders) to Oracle schemas, because it is good opportunity improve maintainability

- in DataModeler I found out that copy pasting objects from relational model to new relational model it 'remapped' them with connection, I had earlier DataModeler models with old connection information

- just learned that there is cool 'deprecated' checkbox you can use to label your 'deprecated' things in the model

+ give points to forum members by pressing 'helpful' / 'like' buttons in the messages

rgrds Paavo

• 5. Re: Import - Data Dictionary - From SQL Server prefixing the database name to all objects
                  Philip Stoyanov-Oracle

Hi,

Is it possible to not display the "AAA_" or otherwise not have the relation model show that?

You can remove that prefix from schema in relational model and schema in physical model

Philip