We recently upgraded from OBIEE11g to OBIEE12c. We noticed that the way RPD is managed in 12c is significantly different than how it was in 11g.
Uploading and downloading the RPD has to be done by command line scripts in the bitools/bin folder. The script for 22.214.171.124.0 is datamodel.sh.
Initially we were on 126.96.36.199 and Whenever we upload an RPD we notice 4 changes.
1. a new version is created in the customiztions folder in the service instance folder by the name "liverpd.rpd_n"
2. Inside the default folder within the customizations foler stated above the "default-diff.xml" file was getting updated (change in size, last modified date etc.)
3. Liverpd.rpd in the above mentioned default folder was also getting updated(only the last modified date)
4. some older versions of the rpd in the customizations folders were getting cleaned up (deleted)
Because of some bugs we were advised to move to 188.8.131.52.0 and ever since we moved to the new version we had an issue wherein any changes that we did in the RPD were not reflecting even when we were successfully uploading the RPD from the command line.
we raised an SR and were advised to add a "-D" at the end of the usual uploadrpd command
./datamodel.sh uploadrpd -I example.rpd -SI ssi -U weblogic -P password -D
using the above command we were able to see our changes in the answers but we noticed that this deleted the default folder from within the customizations folder in the service instance folder.
So now basically we have a few concerns,
1. what is the Basic use of default-diff.xml in OBIEE12c?
2. why is it missing after executing the upload command with -D option?
3. How is it going to affect and what functionalities can be affected?
4. Any other information that might be helpful understanding the XML.
Customizations - <obiee_home>/user_projects/domains/bi/bidata/service_instances/ssi/metadata/datamodel/
Any information is appreciated.