1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2016 12:41 PM by EdStevens

Is there any way to turn off text to table in the editor?

Dude!

If there is, please do. It is almost impossible to cut an paste structured text and reformat or use it in a reasonable way. For example when pasting the output of an RMAN list backup command: The whole text gets infiltrated by tables. It's complete nonsense and not funny!

Please below screenshot as an example:

Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 6.51.08 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 6.53.03 PM.jpg

• 1. Re: Is there any way to turn off text to table in the editor?
          Timo Hahn

I'm not sure how it'll look like with rman output, but what I do to copy/paste code is to first paste the code as normal text, then mark it in the reply again and click the 'quote' icon in the editor bar. It don't give you syntax coloring but the code can be read. Sample of code which already has syntax color:

publicvoiddialogListener(DialogEvent dialogEvent) {

if (dialogEvent.getOutcome().equals(DialogEvent.Outcome.ok)) {

// get the binding container

BindingContainer bindings = BindingContext.getCurrent().getCurrentBindingsEntry();

// get an ADF attributevalue from the ADF page definitions

AttributeBinding attr = (AttributeBinding)bindings.getControlBinding("EmailPopup");

Object inputValue = attr.getInputValue();

// set the value into the other attribute

attr = (AttributeBinding)bindings.getControlBinding("Email");

attr.setInputValue(inputValue);

}

}

sample with code without syntax color:

public ExcelHelper()
            {
              super();

// Get handle to the session scope bean.
              ELContext elContext = FacesContext.getCurrentInstance().getELContext();
              sessionBean =
                  (SessionBean) FacesContext.getCurrentInstance().getApplication().getELResolver().getValue(elContext, null,
                                                                                                            "SessionBean");

bctx = BindingContext.getCurrent();
              dc = bctx.findDataControl("ConfigurableAMDataControl");
              securityContext = ADFContext.getCurrent().getSecurityContext();

}

Timo

• 2. Re: Is there any way to turn off text to table in the editor?
            Dude!

Thanks for responding. That was one of the first options I tried also. Pasting the text into a quote a code block does not make a difference for me. Once the text is pasted and converted to table, only parts of the text can be selected. Also, when responding or commenting from the Inbox, the options are limited since there is no advanced editor -- not that it really helps though.

It may also depend on the browser, but as of the last upgrade, it seems the editor has gotten even worse. I appreciate all the work moniquevdb-Oracle has previously done to address the problems mentioned in List of forum editor issues and bugs, but as far as I can tell, we are back to square one and it was all for nothing.

I'm honestly tired of constantly having to work around silly editor issues. It frequently crashes or captures the text cursor when pasting URL's or using the quote function. I know Monique already mentioned that OTN is considering to replace the editor, but I only believe it once I see it. Reinventing the forum editor.

A working editor is quintessential, but I seriously doubt that Jive is ever going to fix any editor problems. I understand that the majority of "socializing" people don't realize the editor is seriously broken, buy how can such a POS editor ever make it into a production system -- especially considering this is a technical forum and major IT players are using the same product?

Another good example is pasting a simple "df" output:

Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 8.55.50 PM.jpg

• 3. Re: Is there any way to turn off text to table in the editor?
              Dude!

btw, I manged to achieve what I wanted by copying and pasting the text in parts, but it's not a solution.

• 4. Re: Is there any way to turn off text to table in the editor?
                Timo Hahn

If you select Courier New as a font it look OK.

Filesystem     1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on

udev            16422804         0  16422804   0% /dev

tmpfs            3288388     10172   3278216   1% /run

tmpfs           16441920     90572  16351348   1% /dev/shm

tmpfs               5120         4      5116   1% /run/lock

tmpfs           16441920         0  16441920   0% /sys/fs/cgroup

none            16441920        52  16441868   1% /tmp

Anyway, you are right it's not as easy as it should be in a technical forum.

Timo

• 5. Re: Is there any way to turn off text to table in the editor?
                  Dude!

But I cannot simply select all text and change the font because it is a table. I can only select individual parts inside the table. If you can select the complete text and change the font, then what you have is not a table and not the problem I'm describing. Also, changing the font is only possible in the advanced editor.

• 6. Re: Is there any way to turn off text to table in the editor?
                    Dude!

The only way I can make this work is by including some text that breaks the structured text logic and prevents the text to table conversion, for example, including the df command as shown below. This way, I can change the font, at least in the advanced editor.

$ df -Ph

Filesystem                     Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/mapper/vg_avalon-lv_root   20G  6.5G   12G  36% /

tmpfs                          7.7G  600M  7.1G   8% /dev/shm

/dev/sda1                      485M  105M  355M  23% /boot

/dev/mapper/vg_avalon-lv_home   33G  527M   31G   2% /home

/dev/mapper/vg_avalon-lv_u01   5.0G  558M  4.2G  12% /u01

/dev/mapper/vg_avalon-lv_u02    15G  2.1G   13G  15% /u02

/dev/mapper/vg_avalon-lv_u03    30G  3.7G   25G  14% /u03

Otherwise all I get is the following:

Screen Shot 2016-09-04 at 3.39.59 PM.jpg

• 7. Re: Is there any way to turn off text to table in the editor?
                      BluShadow

I guess this all comes down to the Editor issues anyway, which hopefully Oracle are working on replacing with something that actually works, as you already know.

I'm sure the "text to table" thing is probably great for people who are chatting about business and have some table of data they want to present etc. but clearly Jive hasn't accounted for the fact that their platform may be used for technical discussions with structured text that doesn't need to be messed with automagically.

• 8. Re: Is there any way to turn off text to table in the editor?
                        Billy~Verreynne

I have the exact same problem.

Think that tabs (#9) contributes to the problem, and is parsed as column separators.

Work around I use is to quick launch kate (Linux notepad like editor), paste the text into, and from there copy and paste into the OTN editor.

• 9. Re: Is there any way to turn off text to table in the editor?
                          Dude!

I often copy stuff to TextEdit since I use Mac OS X, which allows me to remove any rich text formatting, including smart quotes and other gremlins. However, it does not help in my case to avoid the automatic table conversion. It probably also depends on the browser. Well, I use Firefox.

Unfortunately there are many more problems with the editor. For example, now that the editor toolbar is persistent when scrolling the screen, I can no longer use the mouse to select content that doesn't fit in one window. So I have to press Shift and use the arrow keys to mark text, which is even more inconvenient than resizing the window to make the toolbar persistent. Who approves these changes?

I understand that OTN has been preparing for the upgrade for many months. Beside all the upgrading, who tested that the software actually works? Is there any combination of OS and browser where the editor actually functions properly, including post editing of text that has been formatted using syntax highlighting? Doesn't the vendor or developer of the product not care whether their software works?

• 10. Re: Is there any way to turn off text to table in the editor?
                            Billy~Verreynne

Think you are a bit harsh. Making web applications work when used across different operating systems, different browsers, and by a wide range of users with different experience and knowledge, and for different purposes, are not an easy and straight forward task.

• 11. Re: Is there any way to turn off text to table in the editor?
                              Dude!

Well, just a bit . However, a working forum editor is quintessential and not rocket science. There are and have been working alternatives, perhaps less fancy, but nevertheless without all these nasty issues. Let's face it, pretty much nothing works reliably or properly, not even the selecting of text and applying fonts, neither does quoting or pasting URL's. Is there any combination of browser and OS where the editor works?  I'll be happy to use that in VirtualBox if necessary.

• 12. Re: Is there any way to turn off text to table in the editor?
                                BluShadow

Dude! wrote:

For example, now that the editor toolbar is persistent when scrolling the screen, I can no longer use the mouse to select content that doesn't fit in one window. So I have to press Shift and use the arrow keys to mark text, which is even more inconvenient than resizing the window to make the toolbar persistent.

I do that by starting my selection and, whilst still holding the mouse button down, scrolling the middle wheel which scrolls the text inside the editor and allows me to select more of it. 

That's what I did before the editor changes too.  Works absolutely fine for me.

• 13. Re: Is there any way to turn off text to table in the editor?
                                  Dude!

That's rather difficult to accomplish when using a trackball -- and it's one of those things I would never want to miss again.

• 14. Re: Is there any way to turn off text to table in the editor?
                                    Billy~Verreynne

You can also shift-click. Place mouse text cursor at the start of the text to copy. Scroll to the end (without moving the text cursor). Then shift-click to text to highlight text from original text cursor position, to current.

Or use only the keyboard.

Decade or two ago when I did the MSCE exams, my colleagues struggled answer the questions on how to use the Windows GUI with keyboard. I nailed it as I regularly had to fix customer PC's with a non-working mouse, and learned all the GUI hotkeys by accident. Pity that X-Windows do not use the same hotkeys.

1 2 Previous Next