6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2016 12:33 PM by EdStevens

another editor anomoly

EdStevens

I think this has just started recently.  Or at least I've just started noticing it recently (last few weeks?)

It seems that when someone posts a bit of code, then uses the "advanced" editor's formatting option, most if not all of the spaces in the code get collapsed. Here's an example I just saw:

Notice on lines 1, 5, and 8

There are also some places (4, 6) where space was preserved, but I'm fairly confident I've seen other examples where all spaces had been stripped out.  I've never observed this happening to anything I've posted.

• 1. Re: another editor anomoly
          Laura Ramsey-Oracle

Yes, we're seeing this same formatting error when you format code blocks

using HTML standard tags (e.g

tags) as well.

We have found a work around: Cut and paste accurately formatted blocks

from a Word document into the WYSIWYG editor.

It works about 75% of the time without any further manual spaces being

added or such.

It's on the list of requested fixes. Not sure when it's scheduled to

actually be fixed.

@monique may be able to comment further.

LKR

• 2. Re: another editor anomoly
            EdStevens

Laura Ramsey-Oracle wrote:

Yes, we're seeing this same formatting error when you format code blocks

using HTML standard tags (e.g

tags) as well.

We have found a work around: Cut and paste accurately formatted blocks

from a Word document into the WYSIWYG editor.

It works about 75% of the time without any further manual spaces being

added or such.

It's on the list of requested fixes. Not sure when it's scheduled to

actually be fixed.

@monique may be able to comment further.

LKR

Ok.  I don't recall seeing it mentioned before (might have missed it) so thought I'd throw it out there.

• 3. Re: another editor anomoly
              BluShadow

I don't recall that particular issue either.

Never like putting things in Word and then copy/pasting from that... it adds all sorts of weird stuff and usually isn't good for code formatting.

• 4. Re: another editor anomoly
                Dude!

Already 6 years ago, but still relevant it seems:

https://community.jivesoftware.com/thread/80509

The most common complaints are:

1. The editor strips all whitespace occasionally.

Anyway, it will require more analysis, but I wonder if the problem is the text to table conversion. It also affects code highlighting.

For example, in the picture below, text was copied from a terminal console and pasted into the editor. The not so WYSIWYG editor converted the content to a table. It also converted to a table when pasting into a Code Highlighting prompt. It would perhaps be interesting to edit the original post and see if there is a table in the CH mask.

Btw, here is an easy way to fool the edtior not to convert text to table:

Is there any way to turn off text to table in the editor?

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 10.46.28 PM.jpg

• 5. Re: another editor anomoly
                  Dude!

Sorry, but copying code from MS Word is typically pretty bad due to the auto-correct and auto-format features of MS Word. For example, converting quotes to smart quotes, dashes, etc. If you do this with typical *nix shell scripts, the output is most likely going to be unusable, containing errors that are often difficult to spot.

If I post code for any presentation, I usually paste the text into one of my own formatted code templates. For example:

Table box-shadow test in Jive editor

However, to use that as a template, it is necessary to copy the table while editing the original post. Copying while browsing will not produce the same result.

Speaking of editor problems, one of the most annoying issues since the last upgrade to Jive 8, I think, is that I can no longer use mouse-click and scroll the edtior window in order to select text beyond the current window boundaries - I have to use shift down-arrow instead.

• 6. Re: another editor anomoly
                    EdStevens

Just a bit more example.

I just responded to a thread that had code formatting, and quoted the entire message.  The rendering of the formatted code was different between the original and the quote.

The original looks fine. No collapsed spaces:

But in the quote, the spaces were collapsed: