This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2006 8:27 AM by 444386 RSS

Ultra Search / File system

513877 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi again,

I'm developing a document management application and now i'm storing files on the local file system with an structure of folders and subfolders created by me. Now, I want to add functionality of searching documents by content and so, I thought in using Ultra Search. My doubt is what shall I do because I don't want to store files in the database because i would mean to redefine the lowest layer of my application and, obviously, I can't. So, my answer is: Is there a way of having a "pointer" to each file in order to return this identifier every time that I do a search of files containing a certain word? The pointer could be a foreign key to another table with information of how to locate the file.

I hope it would be clear! :)

Thanks a lot,

Jordi

Thank you very much!
  • 1. Re: Ultra Search / File system
    Chris Antognini Explorer
    Jordi
    Now, I want to add functionality of searching
    documents by content and so, I thought in using Ultra
    Search. My doubt is what shall I do because I don't
    want to store files in the database because i would
    mean to redefine the lowest layer of my application
    and, obviously, I can't.
    With Ultra Search you can directly index and search files stored on the file system. I.e. you don't need to have them in the database.

HTH
    Chris
  • 2. Re: Ultra Search / File system
    444386 Explorer
    Jordi,

Create a user-defined content source and include a DOCUMENT_URL_V2 column that points to the local file to be indexed, such as...

file://localhost/H:/MyFiles/whatever.doc

You can also use a file content source but using a user-defined one allows for more search and display flexibility.

Note that the files to be indexed must reside on the US server.

Good luck.

- Stephen