9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2017 6:06 PM by Dude!

Can Oracle XE 11g and SE1 11g live in harmony on the same server?

Matthew Morris

The company I work for is performing a large IT migration at the moment (ending a contract with the current provider of many of our IT services). As part of the contract change -- I am having to move my production Oracle server (11g SE1) to a machine in a new data center.  This will be a completely new installation starting with a clean-slate RHEL7. A couple of days ago, I realized that the same move is going to kill the access to my development Oracle server. While this machine is not hosted with the IT provider, part of the contract going away is providing me VPN access to the network segment it resides on. The development server is simply an Oracle XE installation.

I don't really want to lose my development environment and I don't want to pull my development code/etc. into my production database. The server hardware I am moving to has a considerably greater capacity than my current setup, so I was wondering about installing both XE and SE1 on that box so that I can continue to have my development instance available. I haven't had any luck with Google in locating people  who have installed both on the same system. I think that it should be possible, but I was hoping someone here might have either done it or know of a post somewhere that details instructions... or just 'gotchas' to look out for.

• 1. Re: Can Oracle XE 11g and SE1 11g live in harmony on the same server?
          Igoroshka

On my lab system I have XE, SE and Oracle DBMS (+GI) working without any issues. In different homes of course.

ps -elf | grep -i pmon | grep -v grep

0 S grid      3434     1  0  80   0 - 124982 poll_s 10:33 ?       00:00:00 asm_pmon_+ASM

0 S oracle    3654     1  0  80   0 - 454628 poll_s 10:33 ?       00:00:00 ora_pmon_TEST

0 S oracle    8240     1  0  80   0 - 316502 poll_s 10:53 ?       00:00:00 xe_pmon_XE

0 S oracle    9820     1  0  80   0 - 58585 poll_s 11:07 ?        00:00:00 ora_pmon_abc

select * from v$version;

Oracle Database 11g Express Edition Release 11.2.0.2.0 - 64bit Production

and

Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.3.0 - 64bit Production

and

Oracle Database 11g Release 11.2.0.4.0 - 64bit Production

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can Oracle XE 11g and SE1 11g live in harmony on the same server?
            Matthew Morris

Thank you.  I was reasonably sure it was possible, but it's good to know for certain. Beyond the obvious (different homes and ports), are there any pitfalls to watch out for during the install? The one hit I got from Google suggested installing XE first.  This makes sense as the installation of XE is not particularly configurable.

• 3. Re: Can Oracle XE 11g and SE1 11g live in harmony on the same server?
              Dude!

Maintaining different versions or editions is a matter of putting each installation in it's own ORACLE_HOME, as usual. However, OS release 7 is very different from previous releases and this is not just about systemd and grub2. If you are not familiar with release 7, but know previous OS versions, get ready to Google what happened to all the tools you knew. There is no OS upgrade path, so you will have to install everything from scratch.

How are you planning to migrate the existing installation to the new server? If you are looking for a certified installation you require Oracle 11.2.0.4 or later. If this is a same platform installation as your previous install you can simply copy the database data files or use RMAN to restore the database.

Regarding the software installation, there are plenty of pitfalls. Your easiest option to get this done right is to use the oracle-rdbms-server-11gr2-preinstall package that ships with Oracle Linux. If you can, I suggest to use Oracle Linux instead of RHEL. The 11gR2 preinstall package from Oracle requires the Oracle UEK kernel due to software dependencies.

The 11gR2 XE installer under RHEL or OL 7 will fail for various reasons. The installation is not even compatible with the XFS file system. There are a number of other issues that will need to be addressed too. Instructions you can find on the web to install XE under RHEL or OL 7 don't work. It is possible, but you need the right instructions. Coincidentally, I have been busy testing and writing an XE installation guide for OL 7 and it's nearly finished. I might be able to post the URL in several days.

Btw, have you considered running your previous environment in a virtual machine? You could, for example, convert your existing hard drives to virtual disks and the use the complete previous system in VirtualBox. Perhaps not a bad idea to get you working on the new system as quickly and painless as possible. The following might give you some idea how this can be done How To Convert a Linux System Disk to VirtualBox in Mac OS X .

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can Oracle XE 11g and SE1 11g live in harmony on the same server?
                Matthew Morris

...There is no OS upgrade path, so you will have to install everything from scratch.

...How are you planning to migrate the existing installation to the new server?

I'll be installing everything from scratch. Much of my current setup is dated. In particular my version of Tomcat is very old, my ORDS version is dated and I haven't upgraded Application Express to the 5.1 release.  As for the Oracle database, I'll be using expdp and impdp to pull the data over because I want to do some reorganization during the transfer.

If you can, I suggest to use Oracle Linux instead of RHEL.

Wish I could.  The hosting company (Rackspace) does not offer Oracle Linux as an option -- I specifically requested it.

...The 11gR2 XE installer under RHEL or OL 7 will fail for various reasons.

...I might be able to post the URL in several days.

The first part bites.  The second I'd be very interested in. 

Btw, have you considered running your previous environment in a virtual machine?

Not feasible, unfortunately.  We own a perpetual license for Oracle 11g SE1 which can only be used on a two-CPU system. I'm sure you're aware of Oracle's draconian rules about virtual servers and CPU counts. To prevent any possibility of being caught out on an audit, this is being installed on a bare-metal 2-CPU system. I could VMs on this system, but doing so would add complexity and overhead without providing significant benefits.

In any event, I don't want to bring over my current system unchanged. The current setup has a number of minor (but annoying) problems beyond the versioning ones noted above. Our current hosting company insisted on installing all of the software themselves (i.e. so that they could charge man-hours for the installation) and frankly they didn't do a great job of it. It functions, but has some quirks that I'd just as soon get rid of during this evolution.

• 5. Re: Can Oracle XE 11g and SE1 11g live in harmony on the same server?
                  Igoroshka

XE "particulars" (11.2 on OL6.8).

1. Should be installed by root (sudo) as it is rpm (or transform rpm to "source", copy to necessary directory or install from source).

2. Installs into Requires /u01/app/oracle by default (creates this directory while rpm2cpio).

3. dba ownership for /u01/app/oracle (could be temporary changed with "chown oracle:dba /u01/app/oracle" and returned back after installation).

4. Creates DB in /u01/app/oracle/oradata/XE with name ORCL by default.

5. Started by /etc/init.d/oracle-xe

• 6. Re: Can Oracle XE 11g and SE1 11g live in harmony on the same server?
                    Igoroshka

I installed XE 11.2.0.2 on OL 7 without any problems.

VBox. OL 7.2 updated to 7.3. oracle-xe-11.2.0-1.0.x86_64.rpm.zip.

uname -a
                    Linux ol7-01.test.com 4.1.12-61.1.25.el7uek.x86_64 #2 SMP Wed Jan 11 19:01:23 PST 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

cat /etc/oracle-release
                    Oracle Linux Server release 7.3

ps -elf | grep -i pmon | grep -v grep
                    0 S oracle   11875     1  0  80   0 - 322056 poll_s 14:43 ?       00:00:00 xe_pmon_XE

ps -elf | grep -i listener | grep -v grep
                    0 S oracle    4632     1  0  80   0 - 59375 poll_s 14:41 ?        00:00:00 /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/xe/bin/tnslsnr LISTENER -inherit

findmnt -l /
                    TARGET SOURCE              FSTYPE OPTIONS
                    /      /dev/mapper/ol-root xfs    rw,relatime,seclabel,attr2,inode64,noquota

select * from v$version;

BANNER                                                                        
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Oracle Database 11g Express Edition Release 11.2.0.2.0 - 64bit Production      
                    PL/SQL Release 11.2.0.2.0 - Production                                         
                    CORE 11.2.0.2.0 Production                                                       
                    TNS for Linux: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production                                 
                    NLSRTL Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production          

• 7. Re: Can Oracle XE 11g and SE1 11g live in harmony on the same server?
                      Dude!

When I installed XE 11gR2 under OL 7.3 the installation would constantly fail, showing the following in the database alert.log:

ORA-01589: must use RESETLOGS or NORESETLOGS option for database open

DDE: Problem Key 'ORA 313' was flood controlled (0x1) (no incident)

ORA-19502: write error on file "/u01/app/oracle/fast_recovery_area/XE/onlinelog/o1_mf_3_%u_.log",

block number 1 (block size=512)

ORA-27072: File I/O error

I don't know what exactly caused the issue, but the problem went away when not using an XFS filesystem.

I've seen some reports that the XE installation, when running the configure part, which clones the XE database, fails under OS release 7.

There are also a number of other things that don't work properly and need to be addressed:

/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.E80bPL: line 78: [: -gt: unary operator expected

/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.E80bPL: line 82: bc: command not found

/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.DdAH1W: line 257: [: 18446744073692774399: integer expression expected

Again, I don't know the cause for the ORA-27072: File I/O error - it's not the available disks space. The problem happens sometimes. I guess the question is compatibility with 11.2.0.2 and XFS. Support for XFS started with OS release 7, which is certified starting with 11.2.0.4.

• 8. Re: Can Oracle XE 11g and SE1 11g live in harmony on the same server?
                        Igoroshka

Before installation I updated OS. Could be an issue with kernel version as my installation was under the most recent.

• 9. Re: Can Oracle XE 11g and SE1 11g live in harmony on the same server?
                          Dude!

I certainly tried the last available update. The problem occured in any kernel, RHCK, UEK3 and UEK4. In my opinion, XFS compatibility of XE is questionable. Again, it may or may not work and I have not been able to figure out the circumstances so far.