9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2017 4:01 AM by John3404980

Getting a hard copy certificates from oracle

John3404980

After some long and hard studying last year, I passed my OCP last month. I used to get an email about getting a printed copy of the certificate (included in the price of the exam) but haven't receive that email. How to get my hardcopy of the certificate from Oracle?
      While this might not matter to some people, It is important and meaningful for me get a physical copy of the certificate directly from the vendor. This is not just about simply printing it myself. Part of the journey for me is receiving that envelop in the mailbox and discovering the certification inside - and some people won't understand that...

Part of my journey is receiving that envelop in the mailbox and discovering the certification inside

• 1. Re: Getting a hard copy certificates from oracle
          Gbenga Ajakaye

For OCP, you can forget it. Viewing your cerifcate online, print it and frame it yourself is all the option that you have.

• 2. Re: Getting a hard copy certificates from oracle
            Matthew Morris

As of the most recent certification I earned, Oracle was still sending the emails asking if you wanted the paper copy to be mailed.  However, that was almost a year ago now and they might have changed their policy in the intervening months.  Certainly the program has been moving in the direction of eliminating the mailing of paper certificates for some time. The email itself is fairly recent to the program.  When I first started earning Oracle credentials -- they simply mailed the certificates automatically rather than sending the email asking if you really wanted one. However, I believe that the adoption of digital badges and the recent change to the certificate 'look' were also moves by the program designed with the intention of eliminating the mailed certificate... as I wrote in an article on Certmag last year:

The pending death of ink-and-paper certifications - CertMag

I understand the importance you attach to receiving a certification in the mail even if I don't share the same feeling.  However, I'm pretty sure that this is a part of your journey that is either gone already... or will go away in the near future. For myself (as I note in the article), I get a lot more satisfaction from the Acclaim page with my digital badges than I ever got from paper certificates.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Getting a hard copy certificates from oracle
              Catch2T8

Oracle usually sends you e-mail notifying you have acquired a certification and a link where you can get your hard copy.

http://education.oracle.com/pls/eval-eddap-dcd/OU_SUPPORT_OCP.home?p_source=OCP

• 4. Re: Getting a hard copy certificates from oracle
                jaramill

Matthew:

I'm lucky that the two certifications I have were from 2014, 2015 and they have the legacy look.  I too fall into the category described in your article where I have it framed in my home office, like my degrees from college, to remind me of the hard work I put in to get those certificates/degrees.  It's a shame that Oracle has moved away from it but I understand it from a cost perspective.  I can relate to the OP's mindset.  Luckily the next one I am studying for (OCP - Advanced PL/SQL) is the last one.  Now if I were a DBA, then I probably would go the route you took...."manila" folder and probably just keep my latest certification pinned up.

I do though LOVE the digital badges and I can have my own customized URL to put on my resume to show recruiters and/or employers.  And if the perspective employer wants more proof, then I'd use Oracle's 3rd party verification that you mentioned.

Now if Oracle offered a hard-copy legacy certificate at an extra cost to the user, then I'm sure they (I included would be glad to pay).

Just my 2 cents.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Getting a hard copy certificates from oracle
                  Catch2T8

Given that Oracle has been one of the most expensive training and certification in the world, I would disagree that candidates should pay an extra fee just to acquire a hard or physical copy for their certification.

• 6. Re: Getting a hard copy certificates from oracle
                    jaramill

Catch2T8 wrote:

Given that Oracle has been one of the most expensive training and certification in the world, I would disagree that candidates should pay an extra fee just to acquire a hard or physical copy for their certification.

Oh I agree with you on the expensive part of the training.  But if one wants a "fancy" certificate like in the past than what they get currently, then the burden of cost should be on the candidate.  Again this is all speculation as to the reason they changed the certificates due to financial reasons.

• 7. Re: Getting a hard copy certificates from oracle
                      Brandye Barrington-Oracle

In accordance with Oracle's policy to be more environmentally friendly, Oracle Certification has stopped issuing printed certificates. All certificates are available for download in CertView. You can also verify your certification to a third party through CertView or with your Acclaim badge.

Though I know that the printed certificate is important to you, I hope that these alternatives will help you out.

Regards,

Brandye Barrington

Oracle Certification Program

• 8. Re: Getting a hard copy certificates from oracle
                        Matthew Morris

Brandye Barrington-Oracle wrote:

In accordance with Oracle's policy to be more environmentally friendly, Oracle Certification has stopped issuing printed certificates.

One of the real plusses of forum-based support is that you didn't even have to keep a straight face while you typed in that whopper. I'm sure that's the official reason, just it's the official reason why banks, power companies, AT&T, cable companies, brokerage services and essentially anyone else who used to send physical mail now pushes and prods their customers to convert to paperless delivery. All that pushing and prodding has nothing at all to do with the money the company saves by using electronic delivery. Perish the thought.

• 9. Re: Getting a hard copy certificates from oracle
                          John3404980

While it wasn’t the outcome I was hoping for, thanks for Everyone that took the time to comment and answer. It’s really too bad and a bit disappointing…