5 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2017 6:48 PM by GlenG

FYI: hard to read post (but viewing as pdf looks useable)

GlenG

The document Useful Yum Commands is not very readable  for me:

Using view as PDF looks good.

Thanks,

GlenG

• 1. Re: FYI: hard to read post (but viewing as pdf looks useable)
          John Stegeman

I don't see that - looks fine to me using Chrome. I think those are the characters that the yum command prints to show progress.

• 2. Re: FYI: hard to read post (but viewing as pdf looks useable)
            Dude!

That's an interesting problem and probably not supposed to happen. Those a's, if I'm not mistaken, should be blanks or white space. I don't know if it's really related to the problem, but when I select that specific text from the document, it appears to be a column. We may have to ask the author Sergio-Oracle to find out what it is exactly and what font he selected.

According to my own experience, the platform editor can be quite troubling with its built-in text to table conversions, especially when copying structured text from sqlplus or command output from a terminal session. The conversion from text to table is happening if every line in the clipboard contains at least 4 consecutive spaces; in which case the software assumes you are pasting a table. This can probably drive anyone nuts. However, if any line does not contain 4 spaces, it will break the conversion process.

Other things that may help to find out what's happening is to verify that your browser's configuration is using the usual defaults, for example whether it is overwriting the default character set encoding or whether you are using non standard or non default fonts. What are you using?

• 3. Re: FYI: hard to read post (but viewing as pdf looks useable)
              Dude!

Analyzing the page source I see:

Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 11.57.24 PM.jpg

Monaco is a screen font and used to be the default system font for Mac OS classic. How the text ended up with Monaco, can only be guessed, but it may explain the problem. Monaco is not offered by the forum editor, so the text was probably copied. Unfortunately, the edtior does not normalize text and retains anything the user is copying. I think that's silly, but what can you do? Your browser is probably substituting the font with something that is not unicode compliant and does not show the nbsp character. Are you using a browser under Linux?

&nbsp is the same character &#160. The latter does not need another lookup table to find the actual value.

• 4. Re: FYI: hard to read post (but viewing as pdf looks useable)
                Sergio-Oracle

I made some changes to the beginning part of the article. GlenG let me know if it's any better and I'll try to clean up the rest.

• 5. Re: FYI: hard to read post (but viewing as pdf looks useable)
                  GlenG

Looks good now.  Thanks.

GlenG