2 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2017 7:40 PM by Mushfiq Mammadov

My Story for the OCA Java SE 8 Programmer Exam

Mushfiq Mammadov

First of all I want to say that I am an economist and I had had two years experiences of working with java when I started preparing for the certification exam. Everything began after buying “OCA: Oracle Certified Associate Java SE 8 Programmer I Study Guide: Exam 1Z0-808” by Jeanne Boyarsky & Scott Selikoff (later it will be mentioned as SYBEX ). My English level was not good enough and first days I managed to read only 1 page per hour by using dictionary. I spent 7-8 hours to study and was able to finish reading only ~8-10 pages in a day. I wrote all code examples written in the book again in IDE/notepad in order to learn topics well.

I took “Assessment Test” before starting Chapter 1. I could answer 3-4 questions hardly, and didn’t know others. Everything was difficult for me when I was a newbie. I was afraid that I would not be able to pass the exam. Sometimes I gave up, wanted to stop studying and thought that I did not have a potential to pass the exam. However, it was my goal to get the certificate and I had promised myself that I would do it. Despite the fact that my fears, uncertainty continued for a month, gradually I started to believe in myself.

I spent a lot of time on answering questions. I couldn’t get used to code format of questions. At the exam I would have ~2 minutes for each question and because of that I had to learn how to manage my time effectively. After reading some recommendation  I started using Notepad instead of IDE (applied it from chapter 4). I found this technique very helpful. First days it was very hard to me but then I enjoyed it. Finally, I could keep in mind that length belongs to array and length()to String. It was very helpful for me to use notepad and javac/java.

The book recommends you to read the chapter again if your score of review questions is less than 80%. All my results were less than 80% so I had to read the whole book again. But I decided to do some more tests before revision to find out which parts confused me most so that I could know which topics I had to focus on.

After finishing to practice tests, I started revising SYBEX book and decided to take notes. At first I wrote my notes in a copybook but then I changed my mind and took my notes in a word document (in my native language).

Then I bought Enthuware questions bank. I read the explanations of all questions regardless I had answered them correctly or incorrectly and sometimes I learned new things from explanations which I didn’t know so far. When I couldn’t understand the explanation of some questions, I clicked “discuss” button and looked at forum discussion. Sometimes I couldn’t understand discussion because of my english, in these cases I read the posts over again and again.

I registered for actual exam after finishing Standard Tests (except for Last Day Test). A week before the exam I started going through my notes. My notes were about 150 pages and I took Enthuware Objective–wise Tests after finishing each chapter. I finished all preparations 2 days prior to the exam. I took the last Standard Test on Saturday. I had a rest on Sunday and went to the exam on Monday.

At the beginning I couldn’t overcome my exam anxiety and as the first questions were difficult they made me more nervous. However, an hour later I was able to concentrate on the exam. Most of the exam takers say that the actual exam is easier than mock exams but I didn’t feel it. The most of actual exam questions looked like simple, but in fact they were tricky. Therefore I checked each question at least twice and it took too much time. When I finished answering questions after first attempt (except for 4-5 questions as I got right answers at second or third attempt), I had 25 min left. I was able to finish the test 30 seconds before the end of the exam.

You will not get your result just after exam. 15-20 minutes after exam I got email regarding my result:

• Actual Exam – 94%

Although my goal was to get score above 95%, I am still satisfied with this result because my exam anxiety could have led to much poorer exam performance. Thanks God! Finally, I achieved my goal after a long hard work.

In addition I want to note that I have had a lot of difficulties to get information when I wanted to start preparing for Java Certification exam. I didn't know:

- which exam I should take?

- which study guide I should buy?

- which test banks I should use?

- where could I take the exam?

- how to register for the exam? etc.

After passing exam I had decided to create a blog and share these information for beginners who wants to get  started exam. And I created a blog some months ago and shared all steps from the beginning to the end of exam.

http://www.mycertnotes.com/en/oca-certification-exam/exam-preparation-step-by-step/

With kind regards,

Mushfiq Mammadov

• 1. Re: My Story for the OCA Java SE 8 Programmer Exam
          Brandye Barrington-Oracle

Hi Musfiq,

Thanks for submitting your story! We'd like to use your story on our Oracle Certification Blog. Could you send some additional information via email?

Please send an email to ocpreq_ww@oracle.com with the subject line "Tell Us Your Story - Blog Post"

- Attach a photo if you'd like to include a photo on the post.

- Include your mailing address to receive the Oracle Certified Journal.

Please remember the Giveaway Terms

Anyone who submits a story on how Oracle Certification has helped their career, through the Tell Us Your Story section of the Oracle Certification Community, will receive an Oracle Certification branded journal. Offer is good January 11, 2017 through June 30, 2017. No purchase necessary. Must provide valid shipping address. Must be 18 or older. Government/Public Sector employees, Oracle employees and their family members, and residents of Quebec and countries under US embargo are not eligible to participate. Limit one per person. While supplies last.

Thanks!

Brandye Barrington

Oracle Certification Program

• 2. Re: My Story for the OCA Java SE 8 Programmer Exam
            Mushfiq Mammadov

Hi, Brandye. Email has been sent. Thanks in advance.