7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2017 9:34 PM by Luis Eduardo Becerra-Oracle

Sun V240 reset ALOM password

nicco

Is there any way how to reset ALOM password on V240 if OS is not accessible? I need to log on to ALOM to check OS, but don't know the password. I have physical access to ALOM.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Sun V240 reset ALOM password
          Martin Brinkmann-Oracle

Hi,

if you have a MyOracleSupport account, you can review

How to bypass and reset the ALOM password on the V125/V210/V215/V240/V245/V250/V440/V445 and Netra 210/240/440 Servers (Doc ID 1010457.1)

Re

Martin

============================================================

(Note: check helpful or correct answer if you feel this attributed to your question's solution

to enable other community members to locate this thread more easily. Thank you!)

• 2. Re: Sun V240 reset ALOM password
            Steffen Nothmann-Oracle

Hi Nicco,

are you sure there was a password set for the ALOM user explicitly  ?
            Might be worth checking with the defaults from shipping :

admin / <no password>
            - OR -
            admin / admin1

If you can't get into the ALOM, then Solaris should be reached via network :
            # ping < IP - Adress of HOST >
            # ssh  < IP - Adress of HOST >

If you get ping response network service is running and if you get  a login prompt with ssh
            you maybe able to login as root ( if you know the password ;-) ).

Then you can apply the main step of the above mentioned procedure ( provided by Martin ) to change the ALOM user password

/usr/platform/`uname -i`/sbin/scadm userpassword admin

Would be great if this answered your question correctly. If so, please mark it appropriate to close the issue.

Thank you.

Regards.

Steffen

Did this answer your question ? Please consider marking it Helpful or Correct.

By marking replies correct or helpful, you make it easier for community members to find replies that might help them in a similar situation,

since your designation will change the ICON color of the reply to make them stand out. In addition, you are rewarding the member who posted the reply with points.

Oracle Systems and Solaris Support on Twitter, check out http://twitter.com/OSS_Support

• 3. Re: Sun V240 reset ALOM password
              nicco

Thanks Steffen, yes there was one of the default passwords. I can connect to ALOM now.

• 4. Re: Sun V240 reset ALOM password
                nicco

Thanks Martin, I've seen it, but there is some problem in the procedure. By waiting 1-2 minutes system will start up and not show ok prompt. Google suggested to pull out one disk to prevent system to start up and let him end up in ok>. But haven't tested it yet. Just asked if there is any better way.

• 5. Re: Sun V240 reset ALOM password
                  Mihai Valcu-Oracle

Hello,

Related to ok> prompt, the system will not stop there if the auto-boot? is set to true.

Rather than pulling out a disk which might cause other issues, you can set auto-boot? to false so that the system will stop at ok> prompt after POST is completed.

You can check the status of auto-boot? parameter with eeprom from Solaris (or printenv from OBP).

Regards,

Mihai

• 6. Re: Sun V240 reset ALOM password
                    nicco

Hi Mihai, but how can I change auto-boot if I don't have Solaris or ALOM available?

• 7. Re: Sun V240 reset ALOM password
                      Luis Eduardo Becerra-Oracle

Hi Nicco

Do you have a keyboard connected?   You can try with  Ctrl + Function (Fn) + F12 to get ok prompt

SC Alert: SC Request to send Break to host.
                      Probing system devices

Starting RTC ..
                      Probing memory
                      Probing I/O buses

Netra 240, Keyboard Present
                      Copyright 2010 Sun Microsystems, ...

Running diagnostic script obdiag/normal

Testing /pci@1e,600000/ide@d

Initializing 1024MB of memory at addr 0 / 

Type 'go' to resume
                      {1} ok