7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2017 7:42 AM by Dude!

Code formatting no longer applies a fixed sized or mono spaced font.

Dude!

I don't know when it started to change, but Syntax Highlighting in the advanced editor no longer works correctly. It no longer applies a fixed size or mono spaced font and uses some proportional text instead, which is useless when displaying terminal command output. Please see below picture. Unfortunately, I can no longer resize the edtior window, but I guess you should see the difference.

Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 11.27.03 AM.jpg

It may not look so bad in the above screenshot, but it adds up when displaying more complex content. There are also still a lot of other nuisances, such as automatic text to table conversions - when this happens, you might as well cancel your post. Or not being able to use certain combinations of characters, without converting to smileys, etc., etc...

As far as I can tell, the editor has not really improved during the last 5 years, despite of all the "we are looking into it" assurance.  Isn't the editor one of the most critical components? Why doesn't the platform vendor provide a more reasonable content editor?

• 1. Re: Code formatting no longer applies a fixed sized or mono spaced font.
          Dude!

I also noticed that applying a fixed type font, such as courier or terminal does not work reliably anymore either. It might be that the editor is converting spaces to tabs when copying and pasting. Btw: Is there any way to turn off text to table in the editor?

Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 12.33.43 PM.jpg

• 2. Re: Code formatting no longer applies a fixed sized or mono spaced font.
            BluShadow

Well I've just done a little testing myself, and from what I can tell it IS still a fixed width font.

However, it's making all the characters bold (you can see it doing it if you create some syntax highlighted text and type characters in to it) which is horrible, and the font used is not very good at all.

There's always been some issue with it not preserving the number of spaces correctly when pasting in fixed format output and then putting it in something like Courier New font.  I think it's some issue on the pasting element (I haven't found it actually creating tabs or anything)

Completely agree with you though that the editor is one of the main components of the community, and for a technical community it is pretty much essential that it deals with technical (code/terminal) content correctly; so yes, Jive's ability to deal with these issues is pretty appalling.

• 3. Re: Code formatting no longer applies a fixed sized or mono spaced font.
              Dude!

Yes, giving this another glimpse, it still seems to be a fixed font. The symptom just looks similar to not using a fixed font, but as I conceded in my previous response, it seems to have something to do handling consecutive spaces. To be honest, I'm getting a bit weary analyzing what the editor does wrong. OTN apparently announces changes, which I think is great, but perhaps they only announce improvements. This is something that seems to have changed recently and hopefully it can be corrected as soon as possible.

• 4. Re: Code formatting no longer applies a fixed sized or mono spaced font.
                mathguy

This is not a new issue - it's been there since I joined the Forum a year and a half ago. I always have to fix spacing manually - there has never been a period of a few weeks or months when I didn't have to do it. It almost surely has to do with "the force" replacing spaces with tabs, or things of this nature, although I was never able to quite figure out exactly what it is.

In any case, this is not something that just got changed.

• 5. Re: Code formatting no longer applies a fixed sized or mono spaced font.
                  Dude!

In any case, this is not something that just got changed.

No? Well, complaining about it seems to help - whatever the reason. See below. I'm using the same browser, same procedure here:

[root@vm702 ~]# lsblk

NAME              MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT

sda                 8:0    0   25G  0 disk

├─sda1              8:1    0    1G  0 part /boot

└─sda2              8:2    0   24G  0 part

├─ol_vm702-root 249:0    0   16G  0 lvm  /

└─ol_vm702-swap 249:1    0    8G  0 lvm  [SWAP]

sdb                 8:16   0   25G  0 disk

└─sdb1              8:17   0   25G  0 part

[root@vm702 ~]# parted -s /dev/sda print
                  Model: ATA VBOX HARDDISK (scsi)
                  Disk /dev/sda: 26.8GB
                  Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
                  Partition Table: msdos
                  Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
                   1      1049kB  1075MB  1074MB  primary  xfs          boot
                   2      1075MB  26.8GB  25.8GB  primary               lvm

If you compare the last with the previous, it's obviously a different font.

• 6. Re: Code formatting no longer applies a fixed sized or mono spaced font.
                    BluShadow

Testing...

declare
                      vTest varchar2(10);
                    begin
                      null;
                    end;
                    /

Hmmm... still bolding the text when I try it.

Edit... now that's even weirder,  when I syntax highlight some code in the editor, it shows it in bold font, but once I "Post" the content it shows the post without the bold.  If something has been done to 'fix' the issue then it's just half a fix.

• 7. Re: Code formatting no longer applies a fixed sized or mono spaced font.
                      Dude!

Chances could also be that no one has ever done anything to fix it and the system is just not working properly, for example lagging behind with some of it's internal processing and tasks.