1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 3, 2017 2:13 PM by JJAFFRY

How to Organize Eloqua Engage - Your Best Practices?

michael.roberts

Hello,

We have given a few of our sales team members access to Eloqua Engage to test it's use, and are about to roll it out to the rest of our sales team. One of the big questions we've talked through and remain uncertain on is how to organize the use of Engage. Here are some of the factors that are impacting our decision:

•      We are a heavily sales focused organization, meaning that sales reps and their requests typically get top priority. They are used to immense customization, and when we've rolled this out to a few users, they all want to create their own individual templates to use (they believe their territory is highly localized). Implications of this might include:
        • Email Groups. For organizational purposes a sales rep would probably like to have a folder with all of their templates in that folder. This would entail creating dozens of email groups for all of the sales reps in our organization. My preference would be to not do this, but I'm interested in how your org handles this
      • Reps creating new templates. We've had sales representatives go in and save new Engage templates that shouldn't be in there (like a single event type). Do we encourage them to not do so? Is there the ability to limit this? How have you managed this?
      • How many total templates do you have in your org?

This is a start. I may update this as we flush out more of the challenges we've faced with this. Would appreciate input!

Thanks everyone!

• 1. Re: How to Organize Eloqua Engage - Your Best Practices?
          JJAFFRY

michael.roberts

This is a most interesting issue many, if not all of us have had to work/deal with. 

First issue:

" We are a heavily sales focused organization, meaning that sales reps and their requests typically get top priority. They are used to immense customization, and when we've rolled this out to a few users, they all want to create their own individual templates to use (they believe their territory is highly localized).

(Has your branding manager stepped in to say they are going off the rails by creating different user experiences for every customer that comes in, and that the time they use creating is less time they can spend calling the clients.  We implement a category of templates based on a hierarchy.  Similar to setting up a naming convention.  Ex: Business unit->product category->brand->region->use.  The higher up the level the more general the template is.  Once at the bottom level, we do allow for some customization out of engage, 99% of that is in the "content window". 

Implications of this might include:

• Email Groups. For organizational purposes a sales rep would probably like to have a folder with all of their templates in that folder. This would entail creating dozens of email groups for all of the sales reps in our organization. My preference would be to not do this, but I'm interested in how your org handles this"

(My personal opinion, Don't.  Think of all the reworking you will have to do if a sales rep leave or even worse they decide to change the territory layout.  We will make user groups based on Business Unit(sales, marketing, IT, etc) then Region and sub region if needed.  It allows us to be more flexible and scale able.  Plus, we can build programs like this one Round Robin Lead Assignment in Salesforce.)

Next, don't let them create template assets, limit this in the security group.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck working with sales.  If you can pull some reports and dhow that it is hard to get useful information about what content is effective, because there are too many assets to report on.

and remember make it: Do able, Understandable, Manageable, and Beneficial.  Also like to add in there, scale able.

Either way .  Cheers to the weekend.