1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2017 5:02 PM by Charles M

Getting 'Referenced Catalog Object Inaccessible' after dahsboard migration

Charles M

Hi All -

I have a bit of a situation. I just migrated some dashboards from UAT to Production. Unfortunately, I am not able view them properly.

Here is an example:

I can see that there is an issue when I go to edit any of them:

It throws an "Referenced Catalog Object inaccessible" error:

I do recall that something like this happening to us in the past. However, this time, our developer is not available to assist. I did try to delete the object, and move the one from the catalog back ... but, it still shows the same error/warning (this is what I recall we did previously).

Hoping I can get some help with this. Thanks in advance!!

OBIA 11.1.1.10.1 / OBIEE 11.1.1.9.3

Regards,

Charles

• 1. Re: Getting 'Referenced Catalog Object Inaccessible' after dahsborad migration
          ArijitC

Most likely your path to the report is changed. . Drop that from the dashboard and add them back from the source.

Or report may be dropped from the source.

Thanks

Arijit

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Getting 'Referenced Catalog Object Inaccessible' after dahsborad migration
            Venkata Rachuri

Check out this document

Dashboard Error: "Referenced Catalog Object Inaccessible" (Doc ID 2180853.1)

Oracle support has suggestted bunch of solutions to address this problem

Thanks

Venkat

• 3. Re: Getting 'Referenced Catalog Object Inaccessible' after dahsborad migration
              Charles M

Thanks Arijit. Is this something I can do from the catalog manager?

Could you shoot a couple more quick details about the process to do this?

Charles

• 4. Re: Getting 'Referenced Catalog Object Inaccessible' after dahsborad migration
                Charles M

Check out this document

Dashboard Error: "Referenced Catalog Object Inaccessible" (Doc ID 2180853.1)

Oracle support has suggestted bunch of solutions to address this problem

Thanks Venkata. I have looked at that and tried some of the suggestions ... it did not resolve this issue, as of yet.

I don't know that the others apply. The method I used was to archive in UAT, and then unarchive in production - these were the instructions given to me.

Charles

• 5. Re: Getting 'Referenced Catalog Object Inaccessible' after dahsborad migration
                  Charles M

Most likely your path to the report is changed. . Drop that from the dashboard and add them back from the source.

Or report may be dropped from the source.

Ok ... I think you could be correct here. I can see that one of the folders does not have the same name. Take a look (from the catalog manager):

UAT:

> .../ BI Reports /...

Production:

> .../ BI Folder /...

Knowing this, how do I go about making the change(s)?

Regards,

Charles

• 6. Re: Getting 'Referenced Catalog Object Inaccessible' after dahsborad migration
                    ArijitC

How many dashboard and dashboard pages we are talking about ? Can you do that manually?

go to edit dashboard...drag the same report from "BI Folder" of production to your dashboard section ...delete the existing one. save.

Thanks

Arijit

• 7. Re: Getting 'Referenced Catalog Object Inaccessible' after dahsborad migration
                      ArijitC

Other option is change the folder name in production.  Then if you need to call it BI Folder the rename after that but this time with this option

Thanks

Arijit

• 8. Re: Getting 'Referenced Catalog Object Inaccessible' after dahsborad migration
                        ArijitC

I mean to say First rename to BI Reports and  verify dashboards. Then rename folder in production back to Bi Folder by clicking option

• 9. Re: Getting 'Referenced Catalog Object Inaccessible' after dahsborad migration
                          Pedro F

Personally, not a fan of that at all. If you rename things, you should do things properly and fix the references (use catalog manager or runcat.sh for that) so you don't have shortcuts laying around in your catalog.

@Charles: For now, you can obviously try to do a quick fix so you have things working. However, what you need to ask your developer is why do you have a catalog folder structure that is different in UAT and PROD. That will cause issues as you're experiencing first-hand.

• 10. Re: Getting 'Referenced Catalog Object Inaccessible' after dahsborad migration
                            Charles M

Thanks Pedro. I actually wasn't able to get the new dashboards working, using any of the methods discussed. I'm re-assessing the situation as a whole, since we have many existing dashboards that are currently working within this configuration.

Charles

• 11. Re: Getting 'Referenced Catalog Object Inaccessible' after dahsborad migration
                              Gianni Ceresa

Hi Charles,

So I assume all the objects works fine and your issues is "just" that between the 2 environments the paths aren't the same.

If the objects doesn't work (you can't open them etc.) you have other issues (probably related to security).

To make it more clear why you have this behaviour when deploying something in a different path: OBIEE use full path to reference objects. Even if your report and dashboard prompts are inside the dashboard folder or just next to it, the reference will always be a full absolute path. Relative paths doesn't work. OBIEE objects (dashboard pages) are XML files, and it's there inside that the absolute paths are included.

As Pedro said I would also suggest you do not rename any folder to match the name of UAT, mainly because it's PROD and you must be crazy if you start renaming folders in PROD like that. Sure it's highly advised you align paths between UAT and PROD, but you do the change in UAT. The option ArijitC suggested (with the "preserve reference" checkbox) is like creating a symbolic link if you think at a linux filesystem. It means all your objects will be accessible by using 2 different paths. This isn't a solution on the medium long term, it's just a quickfix if you are desperate an evening waiting for a clean fix.

As already said above if you edit your dashboard pages and re-link all the objects inside the problem is solved. If you have tons of objects there could be a super quick option: "XML Search & Replace" (in the Tools menu of Catalog Manager). By using this you can search for the UAT path and replace it by the PROD path in all your freshly unarchived objects.

The issue is that there is no "undo" option, you must be 400% sure you selected only the folder where you unarchived your content, you must be sure you wrote the UAT path correctly and the PROD one too. Another thing to be sure: you search & replace values which are specific enough to avoid replacing other things in your objects (for example do not search "Reports" and replace it by "Folder" as you have chances to replace the word "Folder" in other things and not only paths). If you are sure to have a backup of your catalog and you feel comfortable in using it to rollback if you destroy more than you fix you can try to search "/shared/... BI Reports/" and replace by "/shared/... BI Folder/".

Again: XML Search & Replace is powerful and dangerous in the same time, be sure of what you do ... Fixing your dashboard by hand is longer, annoying but safer.

And tell your devs to rename their UAT paths to match 1:1 PROD !!

PS: you posted a screenshot of a MOS document in the public forum, theoretically it's something which can be an issue (because MOS are resources you have to pay a support to have access) as it's forbidden to post MOS content in public forum. You better avoid it in the future, just to avoid issues

• 12. Re: Getting 'Referenced Catalog Object Inaccessible' after dahsborad migration
                                Charles M

Hi Gianni,

Thanks for the reply, very good explanation for this. I still haven't been able to edit the dashboards in the right way as of yet. There are 8 pages altogether. I have tried dragging & dropping the objects from the catalog back to the editor, but the warning still doesn't go away. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I do recall that this was how the current, working dashboards were "fixed".

I did remove that MOS screenshot ... sorry about that  .

Regards,

Charles

• 13. Re: Getting 'Referenced Catalog Object Inaccessible' after dahsborad migration
                                  Pedro F

Hi Charles,

That's weird. If you have objects in a dashboard page, ultimately, if you remove all of them and add them all again directly from the catalog, there should be no reason for you to have those warnings anymore.

Can you provide some more screenshots of what you're doing? How the dashboard page looks when you start editing it, how you're putting the object there again and how it looks once you're done editing the page.

• 14. Re: Getting 'Referenced Catalog Object Inaccessible' after dahsboard migration
                                    Charles M

Hi Pedro. Thanks ... I will put together a posting with my steps.

Charles

1 2 Previous Next