1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2018 9:41 PM by Brandye Barrington-Oracle Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Oracle 18c OCP
        Shotokan

The Oracle DBA role has changed. Long time ago, one can just be good at one database and leave the rest to other team members. Today, Oracle DBA have to know postgresql, mssql and noSQL (mongdb). A lot of companies running multiple databases and they are not going to hire each dba for each db. This is a trend. I work in database support industry for over a decade. Some even stretched into SAP HANA and Hadoop. The good thing with knowing Oracle DB will enable one to pick up other RDBM fairly easily.

• 16. Re: Oracle 18c OCP
          Boban Jayan

Yes, correct, in case of in house DBAs. But I think if we consider Managed Service/operations, that support 1000s of databases, there is no scope for one person  managing different database technologies.

• 17. Re: Oracle 18c OCP
            jaramill

Shotokan wrote:

The Oracle DBA role has changed. Long time ago, one can just be good at one database and leave the rest to other team members. Today, Oracle DBA have to know postgresql, mssql and noSQL (mongdb). A lot of companies running multiple databases and they are not going to hire each dba for each db. This is a trend. I work in database support industry for over a decade. Some even stretched into SAP HANA and Hadoop. The good thing with knowing Oracle DB will enable one to pick up other RDBM fairly easily.

You are ABSOLUTELY right Shotokan!  I love Oracle and it's my bread & butter for years, but times & technologies are a  " changin' " and with that said, many job postings are looking for Database Engineers (i.e. know more than 1 db).  So knowing Oracle while great, limits us, and I definitely see that writing on the wall the past few years.  It's just getting into a job position were you can learn it pick it up.  Such dbs that are the "trend" these days are "Mongo, Dynamo, Microsoft's SQL Server" as well as Big Data DBs (Hive, Pig, NoSQL, Cassandra, etc...)

And yes if you know Oracle it's easier to pick up the other databases.

• 18. Re: Oracle 18c OCP
              Dude!

I would seriously doubt the level of true knowledge and experience of anyone with up to date certifications for various major database products. People with limited experience may see it otherwise, but in my experience, real experts, like in any profession, usually arrive and swear by a product and competitors at that point in history become secondary and are often rejected.

Employers may simply want to make the best deal and perhaps hope to increase their changes to find good people by mentioning different products, but what they are looking for is not realistic, or does not provide the professional environment that people who may qualify would want to work for.

• 19. Re: Oracle 18c OCP
                jaramill

Oh I know that companies what a "PERFECT 10" candidate...a Jack-of-All-Trades but also Master of All.  Reality is companies sometimes are misguided (especially when HR is involved as sometimes things get lost in translation from the dept that has a job opening to what HR posts as the job posting).  They are never 1 and the same job posting.

• 20. Re: Oracle 18c OCP
                  Fatih Acar

I strongly agree with you. Many company want to support different databases like Oracle, MsSQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL and NoSQL databases from dbas.

• 21. Re: Oracle 18c OCP
                    Dude!

Managing different databases is not like driving different cars.

• 22. Re: Oracle 18c OCP
                      Raza-Oracle

Oracle's new naming convention underpins timely product updates as apposed to one major release every few years and patchsets inbetween.

Upside of this new policy will allow customers to more readily benefit from any new product-area features as they become available.

As to the "big" jump from 12 to 18, and subsequently 19, 20 etc, merely signify year of release. Significance is in the features released not the year of release.

Versioning numbers will take this form > YY.qq.ww (YY=2 digit year [major release] | qq=calendar quarter [release update] | ww=week # of relevant quarter [release update revision])

For more details, please refer to the relevant product page(s) at oracle.com

Hope that helps.

• 23. Re: Oracle 18c OCP
                        Dude!

Thanks for responding, but I do not see the connection between version number and timely updates. People who are not Oracle experts will have to google to tell how many versions customer 18 is left behind when 28 is released. The same goes for certifications. A certification for the previous release is arguably more useful than a certification from 10 versions ago.

I agree that the significance are the features and not the year of the release, then why do we need this version leapfrogging, which makes the version number seem part of a marketing strategy, giving the impression of radical innovations or advancements, unless Oracle plans a new release every year.

• 24. Re: Oracle 18c OCP
                          B.Thomas

It would be interesting to see how the certification program is going to be structured, now that Oracle decided to release a "major version" every year going forward from 2018. So, according to the MOS note  742060.1, 18c is nothing but 12.2.0.2 and 19c (scheduled to release in 2019) is 12.2.0.3. Based on the earlier certification policies, these versions are covered under the 12cR2 certification. Now that we have new release numbers for patch releases, at what frequency do you plan to release new certification exams? I am sure releasing an exam every year may not be the way to go.

Thanks much!

• 25. Re: Oracle 18c OCP
                            Brandye Barrington-Oracle

This has turned into an interesting conversation! Actually, it is just the year used as versioning.

Regards,

Brandye Barrington

• 26. Re: Oracle 18c OCP
                              user11974583

With certification traditionally being tagged to major versions 9, 10, 11 etc and these being updated with several years in between i dont see how they can sustain certification against yearly releases. Any certification would have to cover a range of years or turning into a money spinning yearly effort.

I certified 7.x->11g and swore that i wouldnt do any more. I guess it depends on how they change the certification product. I guess you could always go Master

• 27. Re: Oracle 18c OCP
                                Dude!

What reasons other than marketing could there possibly be to abandon the current versioning logic? It's no coincidence in my opinion that it comes along with cloud computing and AI, and a database that automatically provisions, patches and tunes itself. If there is indeed going to be a shift in product certifications to yearly release versions, then it would be demoralizing. I don't know anyone who's fancy to re-certify and study for Oracle exams every year to keep up with certifications, and considering cost and effort, I personally do not believe people will.

Despite all the benefits that new technologies will bring to customers, it also opens new opportunities for Oracle to increase revenue and have more control over customers. Certifications are perhaps a sideshow that can be neglected, but it creates a bad spirit that cannot be in anyone's best interest. I find it difficult to believe it is something decision makers didn't consider.

• 28. Re: Oracle 18c OCP
                                  Nazbit

The problem with this from a CV / job hunting point of view is that whilst any technical person will know that your certs are only one version behind (when there is an OCP18 in place) but most of us first have to get past IT recruiters who don't know what they are talking about at the best of times.

I've no issue with them going to yearly releases but I agree that it's going to be very difficult if not impossible for them to churn out annual OCA / OCP releases. They'll surely have to be valid for longer? I certainly wouldn't be interested in certifying that often at current prices.

• 29. Re: Oracle 18c OCP
                                    Brandye Barrington-Oracle

This is really a good discussion and great points have been raised. We're following this discussion closely and keeping these points in mind as we move into this new world of versioning. Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

Regards,

Brandye Barrington

Oracle Certification Program

1 2 Previous Next