6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2018 5:49 PM by Dude!

More editor insanity

EdStevens

I think this may have been reported on before, but I just noticed a bit of a pattern or maybe a new twist.  Regarding the collapsing of spaces when using syntax formatting.

Someone posts, and uses 'syntax formatting', to produce this.  It looks fine when reading the message.

But when I attempted to respond, and quote from the original, it collapsed the spaces, like this:

• 1. Re: More editor insanity
          BluShadow

I'm sure this has been reported before somewhere... if I could just find it...

• 2. Re: More editor insanity
            Jim-D

Chitrasai1-Oracle - should this be added to the Updated Known issue list ?

• 3. Re: More editor insanity
              Dude!

The editor is a bottomless pit and user experience depends and varies between browser kind and version. I would not recommend to add editor issues to the known list of platform issues. The list will explode for no good reason because most editor issues are difficult to reproduce and the chances of fixing these problems on a universal scale seems practically zero - at least considering past efforts regarding the matter. It's very cumbersome and a lot of work to keep track and review the current status of editor issues, including frequent browser updates. Previous community management mentioned there were plans to replace the editor, but that was already a couple or more years ago and we can probably forget about it. I think what we need is a different editing concept.

• 4. Re: More editor insanity
                EdStevens

Dude! wrote:

The editor is a bottomless pit and user experience depends and varies between browser kind and version. I would not recommend to add editor issues to the known list of platform issues. The list will explode for no good reason because most editor issues are difficult to reproduce and the chances of fixing these problems on a universal scale seems practically zero - at least considering past efforts regarding the matter. It's very cumbersome and a lot of work to keep track and review the current status of editor issues, including frequent browser updates. Previous community management mentioned there were plans to replace the editor, but that was already a couple or more years ago and we can probably forget about it. I think what we need is a different editing concept.

While I tend to agree, but just for the record (and whatever that is worth!)  I just reproduced the problem in both FireFox 52.5.3 32bit and in IE 11.0.9600.

• 5. Re: More editor insanity
                  Jim-D

I agree that issues that cannot be reproduced should not be added to the list.

I hope that maintaining a list of reproducible issues could help Oracle prioritize the issues, give us a way to easily share details and workarounds, and prevent us from saying "if I could only find where that's been discussed before"