1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2018 8:38 AM by blessed DBA

RMAN | Oracle 11gR2(11.2.0.4) | Restoring Linux Backup to Windows Instance

rthampi

Hi guys

I managed to restore a RMAN backup that was created on Linux (OEL 6.x) to a Windows instance. The instance is up and running (learning lab) & I have checked for invalid objects and the count is 0. Prior attempting the cross-platform restore, I was mostly reading about Transportable database for platform migration & opted RMAN restore for a scenario when the SOURCE is not anymore accessible and I am left with ONLY the backups (and ignoring that I can setup another Linux environment, restore, do with transportable database factor).

As I have the instance online and could perform all the intended, what are the possible issues I may face with such a migration in a production environment? Please explain

thanks and regards,

rajesh

• 1. Re: RMAN | Oracle 11gR2(11.2.0.4) | Restoring Linux Backup to Windows Instance
          John Thorton

rthampi wrote:

Hi guys

I managed to restore a RMAN backup that was created on Linux (OEL 6.x) to a Windows instance. The instance is up and running (learning lab) & I have checked for invalid objects and the count is 0. Prior attempting the cross-platform restore, I was mostly reading about Transportable database for platform migration & opted RMAN restore for a scenario when the SOURCE is not anymore accessible and I am left with ONLY the backups (and ignoring that I can setup another Linux environment, restore, do with transportable database factor).

As I have the instance online and could perform all the intended, what are the possible issues I may face with such a migration in a production environment? Please explain

thanks and regards,

rajesh

Oracle  is OS agnostic.

Oracle does not know or care about the underlying OS & has no memory about the "previous" OS.

As a learning exercise post SQL & results that show OS name & version.

• 2. Re: RMAN | Oracle 11gR2(11.2.0.4) | Restoring Linux Backup to Windows Instance
            rthampi

Hello John

Here are the details

SQL> col INSTANCE_NAME format a10
            SQL> col VERSION format a15
            SQL> col STATUS format a10
            SQL> SELECT INSTANCE_NAME, VERSION, STATUS FROM V$INSTANCE
              2  /

INSTANCE_N VERSION         STATUS
            ---------- --------------- ----------
            linuxdb    11.2.0.4.0      OPEN

SQL> col NAME format a15
            SQL> col PLATFORM_NAME format a30
            SQL> SELECT NAME, PLATFORM_NAME from v$database;

NAME            PLATFORM_NAME
            --------------- ------------------------------
            LINUXDB         Microsoft Windows x86 64-bit

Regards,

rajesh

• 3. Re: RMAN | Oracle 11gR2(11.2.0.4) | Restoring Linux Backup to Windows Instance
              jgarry

As John didn't quite note (I assume because you specified instance), rman handles most differences transparently.  Having a platform with the same endianess and a compatible character set helps some. (see select platform query in https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10642/rcmxplat.htm#BRADV89985 )

Of course, there are other things that can happen with rman.  That's why you need to  practice practice practice test test test until you can handle it in your sleep, because that's when issues tend to arise.

• 4. Re: RMAN | Oracle 11gR2(11.2.0.4) | Restoring Linux Backup to Windows Instance
                JohnWatson2

Can you use this Linux -> Windows move to motivate the upgrade to release 12? You can take backup sets across platforms in 12, whereas in 11 you are limited to using image copies. Using backup sets saves a huge amount of downtime. Can be single digit minutes.

• 5. Re: RMAN | Oracle 11gR2(11.2.0.4) | Restoring Linux Backup to Windows Instance
                  rthampi

Hello Jgarry

To be quite frank, I am a novice with RMAN & my initial post to was to insure that my lab tests are towards a constructive learning curve. I've read about transportable databases and my next attempts would be to establish those described in the document you have pointed.

thanks & regards,

rajesh

• 6. Re: RMAN | Oracle 11gR2(11.2.0.4) | Restoring Linux Backup to Windows Instance
                    rthampi

JohnWatson2 wrote:

Can you use this Linux -> Windows move to motivate the upgrade to release 12? You can take backup sets across platforms in 12, whereas in 11 you are limited to using image copies. Using backup sets saves a huge amount of downtime. Can be single digit minutes.

Hello John

I have copied backup sets from Linux to Windows and built the instance OR I truly didn't understand what you meant by 11g image copies? Please explain

regards,

rajesh

• 7. Re: RMAN | Oracle 11gR2(11.2.0.4) | Restoring Linux Backup to Windows Instance
                      jgarry

It appeared to me that you might be a novice, and that's ok.  You do need to become adept with the docs, and that's not trivial for backups - there are so many features for differently scaled sites, it can be daunting.  So if you see a term you don't recognize, like image copy, search for it in the docs and online.

There are some books you can buy that can help (though I won't recommend because I don't know what is good these days).  But you can start with the docs https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10642/rcmquick.htm#BRADV89346 and tutorial http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/tutorials/obe/db/12c/r1/2day_dba/12cr1db_ch9bkuprec/12cr1db_ch9bkuprec.html

Not losing data is job #1 for database administrators.  A key part of this is proper recovery strategy.  Nobody cares much about backups - it's the recovery that counts.  This then becomes the basis for all the consequential operations like duplication and propagation.  That's why it is RMAN - Recovery Manager.  A database is a dynamic place, having it shut down doesn't get much done.

You don't actually have to use RMAN - but it makes things a lot easier, including avoiding the mistakes that used to be common.  And you always need to understand the concepts and what actually has to happen.

Good luck and never stop learning!

• 8. Re: RMAN | Oracle 11gR2(11.2.0.4) | Restoring Linux Backup to Windows Instance

Please post a link to the Oracle docs section containing the steps you followed to do that cross-platform 'restore'.

• 9. Re: RMAN | Oracle 11gR2(11.2.0.4) | Restoring Linux Backup to Windows Instance
                          rthampi

Hello rp0428

There are no documents, so I asked the question at the 1st place. I gave it a try, got stuck at few places. Used my logic & was able to "restore". Then I wanted to KNOW from the experts WHAT the MESS I am dealing with.

thanks & regards,

rajesh

• 10. Re: RMAN | Oracle 11gR2(11.2.0.4) | Restoring Linux Backup to Windows Instance
                            JohnWatson2

rthampi wrote:

JohnWatson2 wrote:

Hello John

I have copied backup sets from Linux to Windows and built the instance OR I truly didn't understand what you meant by 11g image copies? Please explain

regards,

rajesh

It is impossible to restore a backup set made on Linux to Windows. Impossible - until you upgrade to release 12. So whatever you did, it was NOT that.

From para 28.6 of the 12.2 Backup and Recover Users Guide:

Note:

To perform cross-platform data transport using backup sets, the version of the destination database must be Oracle Database 12c Release 1 (12.1) or later.

• 11. Re: RMAN | Oracle 11gR2(11.2.0.4) | Restoring Linux Backup to Windows Instance
                              JohnWatson2

rthampi wrote:

Hello rp0428

There are no documents, so I asked the question at the 1st place. I gave it a try, got stuck at few places. Used my logic & was able to "restore". Then I wanted to KNOW from the experts WHAT the MESS I am dealing with.

thanks & regards,

rajesh

There are no release 11 docs describing using RMAN backup sets to restore from Linux to Windows, because you can't do it.

• 12. Re: RMAN | Oracle 11gR2(11.2.0.4) | Restoring Linux Backup to Windows Instance
                                rthampi

Hello John

Well, now I am confused. Let me go through what I did at both platforms

Linux

run

{

ALLOCATE CHANNEL c1 DEVICE TYPE disk;

ALLOCATE CHANNEL c2 DEVICE TYPE disk;

ALLOCATE CHANNEL c3 DEVICE TYPE disk;

ALLOCATE CHANNEL c4 DEVICE TYPE disk;

crosscheck archivelog all;

crosscheck backup;

BACKUP AS COMPRESSED BACKUPSET DATABASE FORMAT '/u02/RMAN/backup/rman_comp_%d_lvl0_%U' TAG "dailyfull_db_lvl0_bkp" INCLUDE CURRENT CONTROLFILE;

sql 'ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG CURRENT';

BACKUP AS COMPRESSED BACKUPSET ARCHIVELOG ALL FORMAT '/u02/RMAN/backup/archive_%d_lvl0_%U';

DELETE NOPROMPT archivelog all completed before 'sysdate-7';

backup current controlfile format '/u02/RMAN/backup/bkpcontrol_file.ctl_%d_%T';

DELETE NOPROMPT OBSOLETE RECOVERY WINDOW OF 7 DAYS;

RELEASE CHANNEL c1;

RELEASE CHANNEL c2;

RELEASE CHANNEL c3;

RELEASE CHANNEL c4;

}

EOF

I believe this is called a RMAN backup(?), as I mentioned in the beginning, I am a novice, trying to understand & many of the technical terms used by others may not be familiar to me, hence I am not at all trying to offend anyone who is contributing to this thread.

If the above summarize the normal RMAN restore, well I have to say, yes it is doable. I have done it & if someone wants to see how it is done, I am ready to repeat it, record it and upload to youtube.

regards,

rajesh

• 13. Re: RMAN | Oracle 11gR2(11.2.0.4) | Restoring Linux Backup to Windows Instance
                                  SUPRIYO DEY

You can definitely migrate from Linux to windows and vice versa. In one of my recent projects i migrated a db running on windows 2008 R2 to OEL 6 . Using DR for minimizing down time. Even i create a cross platform Physical stand by and performed switch over without any difficulty. I did not face any problem at all. As the endian format are same.

• 14. Re: RMAN | Oracle 11gR2(11.2.0.4) | Restoring Linux Backup to Windows Instance
                                    JohnWatson2

Of course you can. But you didn't do it by restoring a backup set. Neither did rthampi. Who, I notice, has not shown the restore and recover. Only the backup.

1 2 Previous Next