13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2018 4:06 PM by jgarry

DBA future after 18c

debasis maity

Dear Experts After advent of oracle 18c how Oracle DBA jobs will get changed and How as an oracle DBA we will grow.What skills need to learn?Still oracle dba will be lucrative or we may need to switch to other area.

• 1. Re: DBA future after 18c
          KayK

Hi,

perhaps you get more answers if you post your question here General Database Discussions

I'm in the business for 20+ years beginning with 7.1.4.

Since those days I have seen some versions coming. And almost every time it was said that you would need less and less administration. And that this would be another step towards the autonomous database, for which you would no longer need a DAB. It's not much different with IBM either, we don't need a DBA any more in future, they say. I'm still there and have enough work to do every day. We are currently in the process of deciding whether to use 12.2 or wait for 18c or even wait until 19c. But even with that we will still need DBAs.

Ok, the daily work will certainly change, but it has changed over the last 20 years. Which is also part of the attraction of this job.

best regards

Kay

• 2. Re: DBA future after 18c
            GregV

This question has been asked already. The same promises everytime with upcoming versions. I personally feel with 12c a DBA has more work than before, so I'm not convinced the DBA job is in danger. Even so, it's ok we will go to the Employment Agency that will suggest a redeployment

• 3. Re: DBA future after 18c
              Mark D Powell

www.clouddba.co, it has been said, if you must predict the future, predict often.  After all the future constantly changes.  There are several good quotes around about preparing, creating, participating in the future.  I suggest rather than speculate on what skills will be needed in the future that you look at what skills are needed today and make sure you have those skills.  If you all of the currently required skills then adding news ones should not be that difficult.

- -

IMHO -- Mark D Powell --

• 5. Re: DBA future after 18c
                Jonathan Lewis

Mark D Powell wrote:

There are several good quotes around about preparing, creating, participating in the future.

And my favourite goes: "It's hard to make predictions, especially about the future."

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

• 6. Re: DBA future after 18c
                  debasis maity

Thanks Mark for the insight.I do understand it is difficult to predict future but please suggest what are current required skill a DBA should have.

• 7. Re: DBA future after 18c
                    John Thorton

www.clouddba.co wrote:

Thanks Mark for the insight.I do understand it is difficult to predict future but please suggest what are current required skill a DBA should have.

DBA only needs a couple of skills.

1) Know answer to any question about the database.

2) Know where to go find answer you don't know now.

• 8. Re: DBA future after 18c
                      Dude!

www.clouddba.co wrote:

Dear Experts After advent of oracle 18c how Oracle DBA jobs will get changed and How as an oracle DBA we will grow.What skills need to learn?Still oracle dba will be lucrative or we may need to switch to other area.

Are you another one who's completely buying into the marketing hype? The way I see it, auto-update, auto-manage and AI my ass. Of course it can be done and even forced, but at the expense and inconvenience of the user. As if there had ever been or ever would be auto-repair and auto-update that would never screw up, or as if security and privacy aspects go away with cloud services or when managed by IT vendors.

There is a current trend, not just Oracle, to do monthly, quarterly or yearly releases versions. Some products don't even provide options anymore to disable automatic updating. People will eventually no longer know or care what version they are using.  In the end, IT corporations will have full control over your system and can examine whatever you do or have installed for marketing, licensing and profit - you have become the product. With all the cloud business and acceptance, vendor dreams come finally true.

As far as I know, 18c is only available for cloud and Oracle engineered systems. What bothers me however is that my 12c certification has just aged by a couple of decades, considering past version release cycles.

• 9. Re: DBA future after 18c
                        JohnWatson2

Dude! wrote:

<snip>

As far as I know, 18c is only available for cloud and Oracle engineered systems. What bothers me however is that my 12c certification has just aged by a couple of decades, considering past version release cycles.

The certification aspect is a problem. I've always kept my OCM up to date, but I'm sure as heck not going to do an OCM upgrade every year. Every five years is quite enough! Whenever there is a new major release, I get asked by Oracle Uni to run a bunch of New Features courses for them, internal and external. I wonder how they intend to design the New features courses now? They won't be able to justify a full five day course and an OCP upgrade every year.

It is going to be awkward keeping up to date.

• 10. Re: DBA future after 18c
                          Mark D Powell

clouddba, John has a point.  You should know how Oracle works and you should know how to use the documentation to find out how to do things you rarely do or have never had to do before. 

- -

So you should have actually read the Concept and DBA Administration manuals and big chunks of the other manuals.  Someone might say you should have read them all; however, my view is if you do not use OLAP then knowing the basics of what the feature provides is good enough.  You read the manual if and when your shop determines to use the feature.  You should be pretty familiar with PL/SQL.  You should probably know some shell scripting for the platform you run on, and knowing a programming language like java or Phyton would not hurt.

- -

Knowledge or other Oracle products associated with the RDBMS like Golden Gate or the Business Intelligence tools is also something to consider.  Again if your shop does not use the features then these should be placed on the to learn list lower after learning any feature sets / tools that are or will be used.

- -

HTH -- Mark D Powell --

• 11. Re: DBA future after 18c
                            jgarry

Not awkward, just an expensive revenue stream for oracle education to push whatever top management performance pay goals require.  That appears to be "cloud."  That means being able to spin up database environments in the varieties of Oracle cloud.  Other cloud providers and VM's have similar necessary tasks, so the near future environments are likely to be heterogenous with respect to those, as well as various database engines and the big data flavor of the month.

So the root skill is "adaptability to new environments."

• 12. Re: DBA future after 18c
                              Dude!

So the root skill is "adaptability to new environments."

Yikes! I suggest not to confuse mother nature and what made homo sapiens the ruling species on earth with the objectives created by greedy corporations to satisfy the profit dreams of shareholders. Perhaps you mean to give in? Personally I don't simply give in or up unless there is a very good reason, but I certainly won't for matters of convenience, which I think is what most people do.

Computer products used to and are meant to assist and adapt to people, not the other way around. What may have changed is the perception and acceptance to let IT rule our lives. As a result, you have opportunism on one hand and inevitable politics and overwhelming power of global corporations on the other. The way I see it, telemetry and marketing is meant to tailor the customer to the product and create information bubbles.

• 13. Re: DBA future after 18c
                                jgarry

Yikes indeed.

The question is about what skills are needed.  The reality is greedy corporations determine what products are available, technical sense or superiority are not the determinants of what wins in the marketplace.  Windows ought to be the defining proof of that - even with Cutler's group originally writing an excellent kernel, since that is not the part that deals with people.

You don't have to give in.  For whatever microeconomic situation you are in you can still do your best to improve it.  With open source and many individual situations (blogging, startups, getting to be VP of government systems at Oracle) you can even make a wider difference.  But you do have to recognize the macroeconomic reality of what the corporations are providing as infrastructure, and most skills have to conform to that for most newbies and journeymen.