7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2018 3:09 AM by don123

dg broker

don123

I have setup data guard using data guard broker (dgmgrl). Please suggest on the following.

(1) I have not set any parameters related to data guard, not created any standby redologs or standby control file, but created. Is it done automatically ?

(2) I have inserted a record and committed in primary database. I am able to see this in standby immediately without using ALTER DATABASE RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE.

I think this is possible in MAXIMUM PROTECTION mode but the protection_mode is MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE.

(3) Can i see the background processes like RFS, FAL, MRP, LSP at Linux level I have tried using ps -ef | grep rfs, but i did not see any result.

• 1. Re: dg broker
          rchem
          1) I have not set any parameters related to data guard, not created any standby redologs or standby control file, but created. Is it done automatically ?

Broker will not create any standby redologs , it is an utility which manages DG configuration.

(2) I have inserted a record and committed in primary database. I am able to see this in standby immediately without using ALTER DATABASE RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE.

I think this is possible in MAXIMUM PROTECTION mode but the protection_mode is MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE.

What is your oracle version?  DG broker will start the MRP even if you don't , if you are using 12c and have standby redologs , then real time apply is default.

(3) Can i see the background processes like RFS, FAL, MRP, LSP at Linux level I have tried using ps -ef | grep rfs, but i did not see any result.

RFS: You need to check the PID,THREAD# from gv$managed_standby  for the appropriate process and check the process at OS level with ps -ef|grep <pid>

MRP you can check using ps -ef|grep mrp

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: dg broker
            don123

Using Oracle 11.2.0.3.

Configured data guard using the link.https://oracle-base.com/articles/11g/data-guard-setup-using-broker-11gr2

I see following log files.

PRIMARY

========

SQL> select member from v$logfile;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

/oradata/DB11G/redo03.log

/oradata/DB11G/redo02.log

/oradata/DB11G/redo01.log

/oradata/DB11G/standby_redo01.log

/oradata/DB11G/standby_redo02.log

/oradata/DB11G/standby_redo03.log

/oradata/DB11G/standby_redo04.log

STANDBY

========

SQL> select member from v$logfile;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

/data/oracle/fast_recovery_area/STBY/onlinelog/o1_mf_3_fd49qxtv_.log

/data/oracle/fast_recovery_area/STBY/onlinelog/o1_mf_2_fd49qxq9_.log

/data/oracle/fast_recovery_area/STBY/onlinelog/o1_mf_1_fd49qxmq_.log

/data/oracle/fast_recovery_area/STBY/onlinelog/o1_mf_4_fd49qyr5_.log

/data/oracle/fast_recovery_area/STBY/onlinelog/o1_mf_5_fd49r007_.log

/data/oracle/fast_recovery_area/STBY/onlinelog/o1_mf_6_fd49r0r6_.log

/data/oracle/fast_recovery_area/STBY/onlinelog/o1_mf_7_fd49r0z0_.log

• 3. Re: dg broker
              rchem

The post you referred involves creating standby database using duplication , it also created standby logfiles, so broker didn't create them you might have did.

• 4. Re: dg broker
                BPeaslandDBA

don123 wrote:

I have setup data guard using data guard broker (dgmgrl). Please suggest on the following.

(1) I have not set any parameters related to data guard, not created any standby redologs or standby control file, but created. Is it done automatically ?

Some parameters are created automatically when you created the DG broker config. But the standby redo logs (SRLs) are not created automatically. You have to do that yourself. Standby Redo Logs – Why and How?

I wouldn't worry about the standby control file. You created that when you created the standby database in the first place. Without the standby and its standby control file, you never would have been able to create the Broker config.

Unless you have an apply delay defined, the redo will be applied to the standby database as soon as it is received, provided you have SRLs created. The protection mode doesn't matter.

rchem already showed that you need to query V$MANAGED_STANDBY to understand the processes. There is no process named "rfs" from a Unix/Linux perspective which is why you don't see them with "ps -ef|grep rfs". Here is an example from one of my standby databases:

SQL> select process,pid from v$managed_standby;

PROCESS  PID
                --------- ------------------------
                ARCH      11303
                ARCH      11311
                ARCH      11313
                ARCH      11315
                ARCH      11317
                RFS       3391
                RFS       11400
                RFS       5037
                RFS       3319
                RFS       11402
                RFS       5142

MRP0      11537

SQL> !ps -ef|grep 3391

oracle    3391   1  0 Mar31 ?        00:01:11 oracleorcls1 (LOCAL=NO)

oracle  11885 11844  0 09:52 pts/0    00:00:00 /bin/bash -c ps -ef|grep 3391

oracle  11887 11885  0 09:52 pts/0    00:00:00 grep 3391

SQL> !ps -ef|grep 11402
                oracle  11402   1  0 Mar30 ?        00:02:21 oracleorcls1 (LOCAL=NO)
                oracle  11987 11844  0 09:53 pts/0    00:00:00 /bin/bash -c ps -ef|grep 11402
                oracle  11989 11987  0 09:53 pts/0    00:00:00 grep 11402

SQL> !ps -ef|grep 11537
                oracle  11537   1  0 Mar30 ?        00:00:23 ora_mrp0_orcls1
                oracle  11992 11844  0 09:53 pts/0    00:00:00 /bin/bash -c ps -ef|grep 11537
                oracle  11994 11992  0 09:53 pts/0    00:00:00 grep 11537

HTH,
                Brian

• 5. Re: dg broker
                  don123

Hi

Thanks for the reply. That link is really good article.

But that diagram does not show about FAL server and client.

• 6. Re: dg broker
                    BPeaslandDBA

FAL is outside the scope of that document, which is why I did not include it in there. FAL really has nothing to do with SRLs. FAL comes into play when the standby determines redo is missing. FAL will go back to the primary and try to retrieve the archived redo log containing that redo stream.

Cheers,
                    Brian

• 7. Re: dg broker
                      don123

Many Thanks