1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2018 7:43 PM by Scott S. Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Solaris 11.4 beta install and post install issues
        bcdf1f39-d433-46d0-b67c-c4dbfd0afb39

Alanc-Oracle wrote:

But libxml upstream has released several new versions in recent months - if no one is reporting these upstream, then why not?

As one of the people who has put in thousands of hours on the Solaris desktop, I appreciate the sincere vote of no confidence.

And while there may be thousands of people who can do this work, we have repeated proof from OpenSolaris, OpenIndiana, OmniOS, and similar projects that they're not going to come donate that work for free. If Oracle doesn't do this work for Solaris, it will never happen.

I just had to comment and say, for one, I appreciate your work very much on the Solaris desktop!!!  I use several workstations with Solaris desktops at work as well as home.  My co-workers who also use the desktop love it as well and appreciate how stable it is.  It's nice to go into the office and know that at least your desktop is going to work that day, if nothing else does!

I was excited to see the new desktop features and think that along with the other IPS packages out there from other sources to fill in some of the stuff Oracle doesn't include, it's a fantastic piece of work!  BTW, speaking of Firefox, the latest SRUs work MUCH better than the ones I used to download from the mozilla.org FTP site!  Maybe they always did, but I had always used the copy from the FTP site until it was no longer updated.

I know you've been working with X for many years for Sun/Oracle and some of us REALLY appreciate all of your hard work!  I rarely comment but have been using Sun workstations since the 3/60 with a cgsix and I'm glad to still continue to be able to do so today with all of the latest advancements!

• 16. Re: Solaris 11.4 beta install and post install issues

I just had to comment and say, for one, I appreciate your work very much on the Solaris desktop!!!  I use several workstations with Solaris desktops at work as well as home.  My co-workers who also use the desktop love it as well and appreciate how stable it is.  It's nice to go into the office and know that at least your desktop is going to work that day, if nothing else does!

libxml2 it is not the only desktop.

Packages like php, python and few other used in non-desktop workloads depend on libxml2.

BTW a few days ago libxml2 2.9,8 has been released. This version has integrated CVE fix which I've submitted to Fedora this year.

I was excited to see the new desktop features and think that along with the other IPS packages out there from other sources to fill in some of the stuff Oracle doesn't include, it's a fantastic piece of work!  BTW, speaking of Firefox, the latest SRUs work MUCH better than the ones I used to download from the mozilla.org FTP site!  Maybe they always did, but I had always used the copy from the FTP site until it was no longer updated.

IMO it would be better if Oracle will remove the whole desktop from supported Solaris distribution and instead using the fraction of the used already resources will try to organize the platform on which will be possible to collaborate with people who are using the desktop on Solaris providing only in git bug tracking and time to time recompile everything to publish everything in some publically available IPS repository.

IMO if such part will be straight used with OpenSolaris community for Oracle and OpenSolaris community this may produce kind of win-win outcome.

The same is with other components which will be removed from 11.4 like OpenStack. Instead of throwing the baby with bathwater IMO it would be better to put such packages on the area not supported and strictly not controlled by Oracle devel team.

• 17. Re: Solaris 11.4 beta install and post install issues
            Alanc-Oracle

If people want to collaborate to build packages for Solaris, they can do so already, as has been proven by community efforts such as OpenCSW & pkgsrc, and commercial offerings such as unixpkgs.  They don't need Oracle involvement for that, and are probably better off without it, as once Oracle gets involved, our legal review processes for open source software and our supportability requirements will slow everything down.

They're even free to take our published package sources for OpenStack and other packges out of the history in the https://github.com/oracle/solaris-userland/  repo as a starting point.

Please go ahead and join one of those communities or start your own.  Don't wait for Oracle, because we're not going to do what you want here.

• 18. Re: Solaris 11.4 beta install and post install issues
              Scott S.

In my case with installadm using custom manifest and profile for the minimal server setup using local repo, I've had no issues with mc and it seems to work and look okay. Install was straightforward and worked. Really would like mc to be kept in place.

(Would like to put this in a code block). As chosen these are correct.

$ pkg facet

FACET                                                            VALUE SRC

locale.*                                                         False local

locale.en                                                        True  local

locale.en_GB                                                     True  local

(Removing hostname, nothing wrong here either.)

$ svcs -x

$ fmadm faulty

$

Some of the relevant commands

pkgrepo create /data/repoSolaris11-4

pkgrecv --key /export/home/scott/pkg.oracle.com.key.pem --cert /export/home/scott/pkg.oracle.com.certificate.pem -s https://pkg.oracle.com/solaris/beta/ -d /data/repoSolaris11-4 '*'

svccfg -s application/pkg/server setprop pkg/inst_root=/data/repoSolaris11-4

svccfg -s application/pkg/server setprop pkg/readonly=true

svcadm refresh application/pkg/server

svcadm enable application/pkg/server

installadm update-service -n default-i386 -K /export/home/scott/pkg.oracle.com.key.pem -C /export/home/scott/pkg.oracle.com.certificate.pem -p solaris=https://pkg.oracle.com/solaris/beta/

<software_data action="install">

<name>pkg:/group/system/solaris-minimal-server</name>

<name>pkg:/entire</name>

<name>pkg:/diagnostic/top</name>

<name>pkg:/system/locale</name>

<name>pkg:/system/manual</name>

<name>pkg:/text/less</name>

<name>pkg:/text/gawk</name>

<name>pkg:/text/doctools</name>

<name>pkg:/file/mc</name>

<name>pkg:/file/mlocate</name>

<name>pkg:/shell/which</name>

<name>pkg:/security/sudo</name>

<name>pkg:/network/telnet</name>

<name>pkg:/terminal/screen</name>

Haven't tried the desktop. I wasn't planning to in my case but perhaps can test.

• 19. Re: Solaris 11.4 beta install and post install issues
                Scott S.

Just FTR the command is:

svcadm enable network/dns/client

I had exact same problem on new host using 11.4 Beta.

1 2 Previous Next