This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 42 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2010 5:58 AM by BluShadow Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Introduction to regular expressions ...
    RadhakrishnaSarma Journeyer
    Currently Being Moderated
    I'd like to have a go at writing too :-)
    Very good move David. Would like to have some sessions on Performance Tuning where you can start to educate a dumb man in Performace Tuning.

Congrats cd. You not only took an initiative but also drove others for the same. Thanks for that too!

I also would like to make some suggestions about this good turn in forum. Any threads taken up like this should be updated by others too to add up what was missed out or what had been discovered from their experience.

What do you say guys?

Cheers
    Sarma.
  • 16. Re: Introduction to regular expressions ...
    32685 Expert
    ...Performance Tuning where you can start to educate a dumb man in Performace Tuning.
    I think there are many people on this forum who are much better placed to write articles on performance tuning :-)
    I also would like to make some suggestions about this good turn in forum. Any threads taken up like this should be updated by others too to add up > what was missed out or what had been discovered from their experience.

What do you say guys?
    What about setting up a wiki that we can collaborate on? I've not set one up before so I don't know exactly what can be done but I was thinking it could be a good way of making sure the articles are complete and accurate, giving everyone a chance to engage and provide their input. Each time there's a new article submitted, the person submitting it could update a thread on the forums page to let people know there's new material.

We could also have a list of suggestions for articles for people to submit, that way people can take on writing about things that they need to learn themselves and may not have considered writing about before, as well as subjects that they are knowledgeable on.

Just a thought....

p.s.

I wouldn't mind setting it up if anyone is up for it :-)
  • 17. Re: Introduction to regular expressions ...
    138365 Newbie
    Please take a look at this first part and let me know if you find this useful.
    I found it very useful and looking forward for next part!

Cheers!
  • 18. Re: Introduction to regular expressions ...
    60660 Journeyer
    Thanks for all the encouraging replies and suggestions, right now I don't have the capacity to start a wiki or open a blog, but I'd more than willing to add this and any future articles to such a site. Just to keep you updated, here's a list on things I want to write about in the next part:

-- count occurrence of a character
    -- find last occurrence, "looking back"
    -- swapping substrings
    -- variable IN lists
    -- LIKE and IN together
    -- case insensitive search
    -- phone numbers
    -- checking inet values, like IP address, e-mail or URL
    -- removing duplicate characters

If you have any ideas or example you think could be solved by regular expressions, please keep adding them to this thread.

C.
  • 19. Re: Introduction to regular expressions ...
    APC Oracle ACE
    Hi CD

I mentioned your article on my blog last night.

I would be quite happy to host your articles on Radio Free Tooting. To be frank it could do with more hard tech-y stuff.

Cheers, APC
  • 20. Re: Introduction to regular expressions ...
    60660 Journeyer
    Why thank you. I don't have any objections if you want to host them, since the whole thing is about sharing knowledge. I'm also planning on translating this one into german and add them to a german speaking forum which is focused on Oracle.

C.
  • 21. Re: Introduction to regular expressions ...
    William Robertson Oracle ACE
    I could put it up on my site. Similar to APC, I haven't added enough new stuff recently.
  • 22. Re: Introduction to regular expressions ...
    60660 Journeyer
    Again, no objections from my side - thanks for "replicating" that knowledge. Saves me the time to put something on the web myself. ;-)

C.
  • 23. Re: Introduction to regular expressions ...
    Gabe2 Newbie
    You have some typos in some of the patterns above the first addendum ... look for '$\+[0-9]+$' and '$[+-]?[0-9]+$'

Cheers.
  • 24. Re: Introduction to regular expressions ...
    60660 Journeyer
    Thank you. Since my first pattern was using the "^" it could have happened when I was fixing my "*" mistake. Talking about peer review ... ;-)

C.
  • 25. Re: Introduction to regular expressions ...
    APC Oracle ACE
    We could also have a list of suggestions for articles for people to submit, that way
    people can take on writing about things that they need to learn themselves and may >> not have considered writing about before, as well as subjects that they are
    knowledgeable on.
    There are a large number of initiatives out there already. There is Ask Tom, Oracle-L, teh Oracle FAQ forum, any number of bloggers. In this particular context there is Jonathan Lewis's Co-operative FAQ which does something very similar to what you're suggesting.

Which isn't to say that it's not a good idea, just that it will take commitment and energy both from the site admin and the contributors. As we know there are always more questioners than responders. And we will get the occasional espontáneo whose answers will need moderating. There is the risk of burnout and/or dilution.

But by all means set up a wiki or some similar site. You never know, it may be the thing that gets you your ACE-hood :)

Whilst I'm on the topic, I'm always happy to receive submissions from people who would like to present at the UKOUG Development SIG

Cheers, APC
  • 26. Re: Introduction to regular expressions ...
    533549 Newbie
    Very nice article helping others to learn new, useful Oracle functionality.

Thank you very much C.!
  • 27. Re: Introduction to regular expressions ...
    529476 Newbie
    Too usefull CD!!
    I didnt check this article yesterday!!!!
    You are really genius!!!!
    May be you can now publish oracle magazine!!!!!
    Then we will subscribe your magazine in our office
  • 28. Re: Introduction to regular expressions ...
    60660 Journeyer
    Interesting, in the other thread you're accusing me of quarrelling with each and everybody and beeing immature ... could you make up your mind?

C.
  • 29. Re: Introduction to regular expressions ...
    316993 Pro
    It seems to be very concrete model though i didnt read yet ..today is weekend i
    will digest it (Y) , good job keep it up.

Khurram