1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2018 6:51 PM by L. Fernigrini

Oracle XE 12c / 18c

oelk0

Hi gentlemen,

as mentioned here:

https://mobiliardbblog.wordpress.com/2017/10/20/new-xe-version-available-with-oracle-18c/

'The Oracle XE Edition is completely free and contains more or less all options that are available in EE including Multitenant.'

Will it be legal to use all these options like DIAGNOSTIC+TUNING, ADDM, AWR, ASH in production systems?

Will it run with a systemd service unit?

Which linux OS are planned? Now i got it running on OL5,6,7, openSUSE 11.x, 12.x, 42.x

Will it be legal to run it under vmware, virtualbox, kvm and other virtualizations?

Will there be a beta programm for testing?

Best regards

• 1. Re: Oracle XE 12c / 18c
          Gaz in Oz

...did you go on to read

https://ora-00001.blogspot.ch/2017/10/oracle-xe-12c-becomes-oracle-xe-18c.html?m=1

?

That url answers a couple of your questions.

• 2. Re: Oracle XE 12c / 18c
            oelk0

Hello, thanks for reply.

yes, i read this also, but this doesn't answer the questions about, OS, virtualizations, DIAGNOSTIC+TUNING, ADDM, AWR, ASH.

DIAGNOSTIC+TUNING, ADDM, AWR, ASH is also incuded in XE 11, i think, but can i use it?

I think DIAGNOSTIC+TUNING, for example,  can only used with a special license and only in EE.

Best reagards.

• 3. Re: Oracle XE 12c / 18c
              Gaz in Oz

DIAGNOSTIC+TUNING, ADDM, AWR, ASH is also incuded in XE 11, i think, but can i use it?

The licensing document, under section "2.1 Options and Major Features Not Included" lists those features.

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17781_01/license.112/e18068/toc.htm

You can run ASH/AWR reports under SQL Developer "Reports -> Data Dictionary Reports -> Ash and AWR", how ever, they all return no data.

As for 18c XE, we'll have to wait and see.

• 4. Re: Oracle XE 12c / 18c
                oelk0

And that's funny.

Please have a look to $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin

awr* ,ash* ,addm*.

Is not included?

For example: Oracle Diagnostic Pack and Oracle Tuning Pack

I can set

ALTER SYSTEM SET CONTROL_MANAGEMENT_PACK_ACCESS='DIAGNOSTIC+TUNING' SCOPE=SPFILE;

and i have it in XE.

What sense does it make to have certain functions, but it's forbidden to use it?

That's my wish to Oracle:  Please make clear statements about what can be used

and what's forbidden, respectively what is a License violation.

I don't wnat to run in a license trap.

Best regards

• 5. Re: Oracle XE 12c / 18c
                  oelk0
                  > And that's funny. > Please have a look to $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin > awr* ,ash* ,addm*. >  > Is not included? 
                  Did you run awr or ash? Does it return any data?  

Yes, i got data.

Best regards
                  • 6. Re: Oracle XE 12c / 18c
                    revo1059

I just want it to get security updates/patches from Oracle. I think that's a severely limiting factor of XE

• 7. Re: Oracle XE 12c / 18c
                      Mike Kutz

revo1059 wrote:

I just want it to get security updates/patches from Oracle. I think that's a severely limiting factor of XE

You get what you pay for.

If you don't pay for update/patches, you don't get update/patches.

• 8. Re: Oracle XE 12c / 18c
                        revo1059

Doesn't MSSQL Express get security patches? Oracle should considering matching its competition. I (used to) use XE as a free starting platform for our POS software ("here use our POS lite and XE for free. If you like it you can upgrade to our full suite, if not you can use XE and the lite POS). Problem is that without patches it fails security scans. MSSQL Express doesn't have that issue.

I'm not looking for feature upgrades at all, but if they are going to release a product for consumer use then (especially these days) it should get security patching or it can become a liability to use, and if it's a liability to use then what is the point?

• 9. Re: Oracle XE 12c / 18c
                          Alex_D-Oracle

Back on that subject: the product management team announced that the XE will be in the yearly release cycle together with the SE and EE, meaning it will get patches yearly. May still be not frequent enought for some cases, but for some it will be.

Regards

• 10. Re: Oracle XE 12c / 18c
                            Gerald Venzl-Oracle

Will it be legal to use all these options like DIAGNOSTIC+TUNING, ADDM, AWR, ASH in production systems?

--> Yes

--> It does create a service entry under /etc/init.d/

Which linux OS are planned? Now i got it running on OL5,6,7, openSUSE 11.x, 12.x, 42.x

--> It ships as RPM like 11g XE and will run on platforms that 11gXE also currently runs on.

Will it be legal to run it under vmware, virtualbox, kvm and other virtualizations?

--> Yes

Will there be a beta programm for testing?

--> No

For more details, please see Hello, I'm the new product manager for Oracle Database XE.

• 11. Re: Oracle XE 12c / 18c
                              Gerald Venzl-Oracle

revo1059, please point to a reference where it is stated that SQL Server Express does receive security patches.

• 12. Re: Oracle XE 12c / 18c
                                oelk0

Hello,

Gerald Venzl-Oracle schrieb:

--> It does create a service entry under /etc/init.d/

This is not a service unit, it's a sysvinit script respectively a upstart script.

In systemd service units are located in /etc/systemd/system/

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/system_administrators_guide/sect-Managing_…

They have there own syntax differnet from sysvinit.

Best regards.

• 13. Re: Oracle XE 12c / 18c
                                  John_K

revo1059 wrote:

Doesn't MSSQL Express get security patches? Oracle should considering matching its competition. I (used to) use XE as a free starting platform for our POS software ("here use our POS lite and XE for free. If you like it you can upgrade to our full suite, if not you can use XE and the lite POS). Problem is that without patches it fails security scans. MSSQL Express doesn't have that issue.

I'm not looking for feature upgrades at all, but if they are going to release a product for consumer use then (especially these days) it should get security patching or it can become a liability to use, and if it's a liability to use then what is the point?

Oracle aren't going to provide support for a product that is free, where that may mean the customer opts to use that over one of their paid offerings. XE is great for learning and basic internal systems where security isn't of great concern, but anything above that and the customer should be considering a paid option. Especially with Cloud offerings now being reasonably cheap on a PAYG basis. I wouldn't be surprised if a version of XE in the Cloud was released in the not too distant future, where the customer can spin up an XE instance for free, and then if they wish to enable additional options they can click a button, input their credit card details, and flip it to a standard/enterprise edition instance.

• 14. Re: Oracle XE 12c / 18c
                                    richardc3

I'm looking to build a new test server for practising at home, however, I'm not sure whether to build now with 11gXE or wait until October (or later !), so my question is, will there be an upgrade option from 11g XE to 18c XE, or will it require a fresh install (export & import of schemas etc) ? I can then work out whether to build now or wait.

1 2 Previous Next