6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2018 5:23 PM by Alanc-Oracle

vmware-tools / open-vm-tools on 11.4b

jsacramento

Good Day,

We've been trying to setup a poc environment with Solaris 11.4b in an Esxi VM, and one prerequisite is to have vmware-tools / open-vm-tools setup specifically for vmxnet3 and 10gbe connectivity with other vms.  Tried installing vmware-tools via vcenter, and doesn't work and requires 'SUNWuiu8', which I can't get even from the beta repositories.

Also tried manually compiling and installing open-vm-tools, doesn't work as well.  Any assistance/advice will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

--J

• 1. Re: vmware-tools / open-vm-tools on 11.4b
          Alanc-Oracle

Package names starting with "SUNW" are SVR4 format packages for Solaris 10.  Solaris 11 uses IPS packages with a heirarchical naming scheme instead ("system/core-os" instead of "SUNWcs" for example).

Software looking for SUNWuiu8 thus sounds like it's intended for Solaris 10 and not yet ported to Solaris 11.  The equivalent software for Solaris 11 should be in either the system/library/iconv/utf-8 or system/library/iconv/unicode-core packages, but it's not a one-to-one mapping.

(Unfortunately, I don't have experience with the VMWare tools to tell you how best to solve this there, as I use VirtualBox instead.)

• 2. Re: vmware-tools / open-vm-tools on 11.4b

I have opened a support case at VMware about the Solaris VMware tools problem on 11.4.
            It was forwarded to their engineering stuff. I will keep you updated about the result.

• 3. Re: vmware-tools / open-vm-tools on 11.4b
              eurecom

Hi,

Do you have any updates about vmware tools and Solaris 11.4 from VMware ?

• 4. Re: vmware-tools / open-vm-tools on 11.4b

They told me that 11.4beta is not (yet) supported and that I should add a feature request at VMware.
                I did but no news yet.

It would be much better if Oracle would add open-vmware tools like any other distribution did!

• 5. Re: vmware-tools / open-vm-tools on 11.4b

Just installed Solaris 11.4 final text and re-checked VMware tools

My findings/ "just a hack"

VMware vmtools for Solaris from ESXi 6.7

Executing on a textonly setup of S11.4 final on ESXi 6.7

Installer vmware-install-pl on 11.4 installs but fails with a message

Package "SUNWuiu8" not found when executing vmtool/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl

This can be skipped by editing vmtool/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl in line 13026

when you comment out the check for SUNWuiu8

When you then run vmtool\bin\vmware-config-tools.pl it hangs due a missing /usr/bin/isalist

I copied isalist over from a Solaris 11.3, made it executable and then vmware-config-tools.pl works

After a reboot I got the message vmools installed with a console message

Warning: Signature verification of module /kernel/drv/amd64/vmmemctl failed

same with verification of the vmxnet3s driver

vmxnet3s reports deprecated "misc/mac"

Not sure if this is critical

vmxnet3s and guest restart from ESXi works

Gea

• 6. Re: vmware-tools / open-vm-tools on 11.4b
                    Alanc-Oracle

899664 wrote:

When you then run vmtool\bin\vmware-config-tools.pl it hangs due a missing /usr/bin/isalist

I copied isalist over from a Solaris 11.3, made it executable and then vmware-config-tools.pl works

While we'd removed isalist originally, and the beta releases didn't include it, because of some other applications still using it, we brought it back for the 11.4 GA release, so you should just need to "pkg install isalist" after upgrading to GA, instead of copying it from 11.3.