3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2018 2:36 PM by Chitrasai1-Oracle

#Thoughtful Thursday

Chitrasai1-Oracle

Hi Everyone,

For this Thursday I am posting a topic "Agile Methodology and Scrum"

Recently I attended   a training where I learnt about this .It was interesting to know about Agile and Scrum.

I am sure many of you here would be following Agile in your work already  .For the benefit of users who is interested to know about this here are few basic questions,

• What is Agile?
      • Is there a difference between Agile and Scrum?
      • When should you use waterfall method?When should you use Scrum?
      • How Agile is different than other traditional software development models?
      • Do you know about Scrum of Scrums?
      • Can Agile methodology can be used in other than software products ?
      • What is Sprint?

Looking forward for the active participation.

Happy Thursday

• 1. Re: #Thoughtful Thursday
          Dude!

I can't think of any software product at the moment that was released during the last several years that I would consider a real improvement compared to previous releases. It seems the trend is either towards overly complicated without concept, incomplete or dumbed down for computer illiterates. Is this what agile and scrum have accomplished?

• 2. Re: #Thoughtful Thursday
            Chitrasai1-Oracle

What I feel is Agile helps in making the things less complicated.

If for any case if we follow Waterfall model we will be not able to see the results until testing phase is done.But in agile we will have sprints where we can make sure and get modified as required.

Agile wont assure success in projects.It just give a better way to manage tasks.

• 3. Re: #Thoughtful Thursday
              Chitrasai1-Oracle
              • What is Agile?

Agile is a set of values and principles. It is not a framework or process. It is built by following different practices various methodologies .

• Is there a difference between Agile and Scrum?

SCRUM

1. Scrum is a subset of Agile
              2. Scrum-It is one of the implementation of Agile methodology
              3. Scrum suits for projects where the requirements keep changing often
              4. Scrum –Entire team is involved in decision making
              5. Scrum follows Emphirical process control philosophy
              6. Scrum is suitable for projects where work environment is dynamic
              7. Scrum is somewhat rigid in structure

AGILE

1. Agile is developmental methodology and based on incremental and iterative approach
              2. Agile is suited more for team which is small but have expert development team.
              3. Agile most of the time project leader takes the decisions.
              4. Agile priority is to satisy the customer by providing contionous delivery of software
              5. Agile is suitable for stable environment.
              6. Agile adapts to changes quickl

• When should you use waterfall method?
              • When the requirements are well understood and not likely to Change
              • When the project is Small.
              • Speed of project delivery is not important
              • No need of using new technologies .Technology required to build software is understood well

• How Agile is different than other traditional software development models?

Traditional

1. Follows top down approach
              2. Leadership style  of working is different
              3. Customer is involved in initial phase of requirements gathering
              4. Follows one time delivery

Agile

1. Agile is flexible .It allows team to conduct experiments on various techniques
              2. No leadership approach .Self organized team.Full team is responsible for  work to be done.
              3. Customer is involved  in every sprint in review and retrospective
              4. Relies on incremental delivery of product
              • Do you know about Scrum of Scrums?

Scrum of Scrum can be used to scale up the stand up meeting when multiple teams are involved in product development

• Can Agile methodology can be used in other than software products ?

Yes it can be used in Non-IT projects .It has been used in other industries as well.It can be used in Marketing,Construction.

• What is Sprint?

Sprint is a set period of time during which specific work has to be completed and made ready for review.Sprint is a time box iteration of continuous development cycle.

Within a Sprint, planned amount of work has to be completed by the team and made ready for review

Agile is a set of values and principles. It is not a framework or process. It is built by following different practices various methodologies .