7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2019 2:57 PM by EdStevens

Oracle 18c

Can someone please tell what will be the situation of an Oracle DBA's role in the future? Since 18c is being autonomous, will there be a risk of job opportunities?

I'm about to start the certification with Oracle 12c and I have second thoughts of doing this certification or going for Microsoft Azure Cloud Certifications. Please help.

• 1. Re: Oracle 18c
          KayK

No one tell you the future.

But you're not the first who wants answers.

Re: DBA future after 18c

Oracle DBaaS: The Changing Role of the DBA

Re: Oracle 18c and new DBA role

• 2. Re: Oracle 18c
            Evandro Lima-Oracle

I believe dba's role is changing, but there will still be plenty of opportunity for this professional.

See this Topic:

https://blogs.oracle.com/oracleuniversity/5-things-to-expect-from-modern-dba-roles

I hope this helps

• 3. Re: Oracle 18c
              EdStevens

3549425 wrote:

Can someone please tell what will be the situation of an Oracle DBA's role in the future? Since 18c is being autonomous, will there be a risk of job opportunities?

I'm about to start the certification with Oracle 12c and I have second thoughts of doing this certification or going for Microsoft Azure Cloud Certifications. Please help.

The tasks I do as an oracle DBA are different that the tasks I did as an Oracle DBA 20 years ago.  Or if the tasks are the same, the ways that I complete them are different.  And the tasks that I do as an oracle DBA today are different than the tasks I did as systems integrator before I as assigned a dBA role.  And those skills and tasks are different than I used as a cobol programmer/systems analyst before that.  So were the skills I learned as a cobol programmer wasted just because I moved on to something else?  Not at all! In fact, I dare say that it was because of the skills I learned as a cobol programmer - and my mastery of them - that allowed me to move on.  (colleagues who were reasonably effective as cobol programmers, but never really "got it" remained stuck there for their entire careers).  Were the skills I learned integrating systems wasted simply because I moved on to manage RDB databases?  Not at all.  In fact is was my success at that point in my career that caused me to be assigned a tough DBA role.  Were the skills I learned as and RDB DBA wasted, just because I moved on to Oracle databases?  Not at all.  It was my success with RDB that caused me to be selected to take on the Oracle DBA job when the company I was at decided to adopt Oracle as the standard dB on client/server platforms. 

In fact, I'll go back one more phase in my life.  My college degree is Bachelor of Music Education.  Was that degree in music wasted just because I ended up making a career in IT?  Not at all.  Not only did it enrich my life in meaningful ways, but actual skills there also ended up applying at one point.  I was given a suite of COBOL programs that had been written by Italians.  My exposure to Latin and Italian as a music major allowed me to make sense of these programs where others had failed.

So observation is "no education is ever wasted".  And my advice is to get the certification.  Your worst fears about the future of Oracle DBA will probably never come to pass, and even if it does, what you learn in the mean time will serve you well in ways you can't even imagine at the moment.  You need to look at your life and your career in broader terms than 'this specific skill to this specific task'.

• 5. Re: Oracle 18c
                dvohra21

Since 18c is being autonomous, will there be a risk of job opportunities?

Oracle Database 18c is not autonomous, but the Oracle Autonomous Database is based on Oracle Database 18c.

Oracle Database 18c is available for download separately for Linux and Windows platforms.

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/oracle18c-windows-180000-5066774.html

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/oracle18c-linux-180000-5022980.html

• 6. Re: Oracle 18c

Thanks.

• 7. Re: Oracle 18c
                    EdStevens

One other observation.  When I started my career in 1981, as a cobol programmer, some crude code generators were starting to come to market.  COBOL programmers were running around with their hair on fire, afraid they'd be put out of a job.  Several years later I was in a shop that actually started testing the waters with code generators.  To the degree they were used, they didn't put a single programmer out of a job.  They simply changed the actual tasks the programmers were doing, still using their skills as cobol programmers.   The generated code was highly inefficient, and they had to re-write most of it.  Eventually we dropped the code generators.

Next came fancy new languages with GUI interfaces that were going to put all programmers out of a job.  "End User Computing" was the catchphrase.  Surely you can see how that turned out.  Yes, some particularly bright end-users are able to write macros in excel, or some SQL to be executed in some reporting GUI, or even put up a small app in MS Access.  But on the whole?  Those end users require a lot of hand-holding by the people in IT.

Now it is "autonomous databases".   Autonomous databases will work great . . .  until they don't. 

All these new innovations are frightening to those who define their jobs too narrowly.  For those who define their jobs broadly, innovations may present new opportunity, or - like code generators - may just be an interruption. 

So in the end, there are two lessons:

1) You cannot predict the future

2) No education is ever wasted.