1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2019 8:31 AM by Laury

Work-around for Page Template Region Position 8 with Universal Theme

Laury

Hi,

I am using APEX 5.1.

Case 1)

I have an application that do not use the Universal Theme.

I have a Page Zero that contains a Static Content region, and that region has a region source defined with a shortcut.

So I have: Source -> Region Source -> "CURRENTAPPLICATION".

Where CURRENTAPPLICATION is the name of teh shortcut defined in Shared Components.

The region has also a condition:

Conditions -> Condition Type: Current Page Is Contained Within Expression 1 (comma delimited list of pages).

That region is also defined with a display point:

User Interface -> Display Point: Page Template Region Position 8.

Case 2)

I have another application, that uses the Unversal Theme.

There is no Page Zero, but instead a Global Page.

I do guess the other application has been "upgraded" to APEX 5.1, but it still contains the Page Zero that now replaced by Global Page in APEX 5.1 and higher.

I would like to implement the same functionality as in case 1) in case 2)

But, with the Unversal Theme, I do not have anymore the "Page Template Region Position 8".

How can I implement the same functionality as in case 1) for case 2), so that what the shortcut display is also repeated to a list of other pages?

Because the "Page Template Region Position 8" seem not to exist with the Universal Theme, the shortcut functionality could be displayed at the left side of the "Log Out" or below, on the left site of the menu.

Any idea how to get it?

Thanks by advance for any tip(s).

Kind Regards

• 1. Re: Work-around for Page Template Region Position 8 with Universal Theme
          fac586

Laury wrote:

Case 1)

I have an application that do not use the Universal Theme.

What does it use?

I have a Page Zero that contains a Static Content region, and that region has a region source defined with a shortcut.

So I have: Source -> Region Source -> "CURRENTAPPLICATION".

Where CURRENTAPPLICATION is the name of teh shortcut defined in Shared Components.

The region has also a condition:

Conditions -> Condition Type: Current Page Is Contained Within Expression 1 (comma delimited list of pages).

How many pages is it used on?

That region is also defined with a display point:

User Interface -> Display Point: Page Template Region Position 8.

Where is the #REGION_POSITION_08# substitution string located in the non-Universal theme page template(s)?

Where does it appear on the page? Create a demonstration on apex.oracle.com or post a screenshot.

Case 2)

I have another application, that uses the Unversal Theme.

There is no Page Zero, but instead a Global Page.

I do guess the other application has been "upgraded" to APEX 5.1, but it still contains the Page Zero that now replaced by Global Page in APEX 5.1 and higher.

I would like to implement the same functionality as in case 1) in case 2)

But, with the Unversal Theme, I do not have anymore the "Page Template Region Position 8".

How can I implement the same functionality as in case 1) for case 2), so that what the shortcut display is also repeated to a list of other pages?

The #REGION_POSITION_08# substitution string is mapped to the Universal Theme Before Navigation Bar logical display point, but it is not actually included in any page template definitions, so is never available for use in the Page Designer.

Because the "Page Template Region Position 8" seem not to exist with the Universal Theme, the shortcut functionality could be displayed at the left side of the "Log Out" or below, on the left site of the menu.

That depends where "Log Out" and the menu are displayed! Please clearly indicate the preferred and acceptable display points by means of a diagram.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Work-around for Page Template Region Position 8 with Universal Theme
            Laury

Hi,

case 1)

-> What does it use?

=> Shared Components -> Themes -> Topaz-4* (theme number = 4)

-> How many pages is it used on?

=> That application has about 26 pages, but the shortcut is only displayed in 8 pages at that moment (probably the display on all pages has not been implemented for all of them).

Page Zero -> region: ThisApplication :

- Type: Static Content

- Region Source: "CURRENTAPPLICATION"

- User Interface:

- Display Point: Page Template Region Position 8

- Conditions:

- Condition Type: Current Page is Contained Within Expression 1 (comma delimited list of pages)

- Expression 1: 1,20,30,40,50,100,200,300

The shortcut is defined as:

- Type: PL/SQL Function Body

Shortcut:

return(topaz_html_text.this_application(pUser => :APP_USER, pSize => 3, pColor => 'FireBrick'));

-> Where is the #REGION_POSITION_08# substitution string located in the non-Universal theme page template(s)?

=> The #REGION_POSITION_08# in the non-Universal Theme, appears completely on the left side on the page at half the distance between #After Header# and #Region Position7#.

I do not see such a region for the Universal Theme.

-> That depends where "Log Out" and the menu are displayed! Please clearly indicate the preferred and acceptable display points by means of a diagram.

=> The "Log Out" seems to be displayed in #NAVIGAT_BAR#, on the left, just above #Region Position8#.

I am unable to create a proper case at https://apex.oracle.com.

I takes as default the Universal Theme, I see no option to use the Topaz-4 theme.

Any idea how to create it?

How can I switch back to the "Enable Legacy Component View"? This is very convenient with less details when starting creating something?

Any other idea how to achieve with Universal Theme the same as with Topaz-4?

Thanks and Regards.

• 3. Re: Work-around for Page Template Region Position 8 with Universal Theme
              fac586

Laury wrote:

case 1)

-> What does it use?

=> Shared Components -> Themes -> Topaz-4* (theme number = 4)

-> How many pages is it used on?

=> That application has about 26 pages, but the shortcut is only displayed in 8 pages at that moment (probably the display on all pages has not been implemented for all of them).

Page Zero -> region: ThisApplication :

- Type: Static Content

- Region Source: "CURRENTAPPLICATION"

- User Interface:

- Display Point: Page Template Region Position 8

- Conditions:

- Condition Type: Current Page is Contained Within Expression 1 (comma delimited list of pages)

- Expression 1: 1,20,30,40,50,100,200,300

The shortcut is defined as:

- Type: PL/SQL Function Body

Shortcut:

return(topaz_html_text.this_application(pUser => :APP_USER, pSize => 3, pColor => 'FireBrick'));

-> Where is the #REGION_POSITION_08# substitution string located in the non-Universal theme page template(s)?

=> The #REGION_POSITION_08# in the non-Universal Theme, appears completely on the left side on the page at half the distance between #After Header# and #Region Position7#.

That doesn't appear to agree with what I am seeing. What are the region Layout and Appearance settings?

I do not see such a region for the Universal Theme.

-> That depends where "Log Out" and the menu are displayed! Please clearly indicate the preferred and acceptable display points by means of a diagram.

=> The "Log Out" seems to be displayed in #NAVIGAT_BAR#, on the left, just above #Region Position8#.

I am unable to create a proper case at https://apex.oracle.com.

I takes as default the Universal Theme, I see no option to use the Topaz-4 theme.

Any idea how to create it?

Log in to the workspace as an administrator and create a workspace theme using one of the legacy themes from an existing application.

You can then select from the workspace themes when creating a new application by clicking the Use Custom Theme button on the Appearance pop-up.

How can I switch back to the "Enable Legacy Component View"? This is very convenient with less details when starting creating something?

Not possible. The Legacy Component View is no longer available.

Any other idea how to achieve with Universal Theme the same as with Topaz-4?

I'm still not clear on what we are trying to achieve. As stated previously, if I had some idea of the actual purpose of this region I would be better positioned to help.

I am also puzzled as to why you would want to create a database package named after an APEX theme? If—as seems likely here—it becomes necessary to change the theme but continue using the package, it makes the package seem rather odd.

• 4. Re: Work-around for Page Template Region Position 8 with Universal Theme
                Laury

Hi,

You wrote: That doesn't appear to agree with what I am seeing. What are the region Layout and Appearance settings?

=> What do you mean exactly?

You wrote: Log in to the workspace as an administrator and create a workspace theme using one of the legacy themes from an existing application.

=> From https://apex.oracle.com, I am do not have an existing application. The only theme I have is the Universal Theme.

You wrote: Not possible. The Legacy Component View is no longer available.

=> This is such a pity, I found it so handy to use. The Page Designer mode has really too much details.

You wrote: I'm still not clear on what we are trying to achieve. As stated previously, if I had some idea of the actual purpose of this region I would be better positioned to help.

In a nutshell, what I would like to achieve is for instance to have that piece of text: "Today is Day, Month Year" to be print on each page or a set of pages, somewhere at the top of the page, or maybe on the left, just after the menu, for the Universal Theme.

You wrote: I am also puzzled as to why you would want to create a database package named after an APEX theme? If—as seems likely here—it becomes necessary to change the theme but continue using the package, it makes the package seem rather odd.

=> The package topaz_html_text has nothing to do with the APEX Topaz theme, it is named according to the application that uses the word "topaz".

This PL/SQL package is intended to display text in PL/SQL Dynamic region.

Any other idea=

Kind Regards

• 5. Re: Work-around for Page Template Region Position 8 with Universal Theme
                  fac586

Laury wrote:

You wrote: That doesn't appear to agree with what I am seeing. What are the region Layout and Appearance settings?

=> What do you mean exactly?

I mean that in my attempt to reproduce the issue in theme 4 Topaz, #REGION_POSITION_08# is on the right, not the left, and there is no space whatsoever between After Header and #REGION_POSITION_07#.

You wrote: Log in to the workspace as an administrator and create a workspace theme using one of the legacy themes from an existing application.

=> From https://apex.oracle.com, I am do not have an existing application. The only theme I have is the Universal Theme.

Then create a test app in your local instance and import it into apex.oracle.com.

You wrote: Not possible. The Legacy Component View is no longer available.

=> This is such a pity, I found it so handy to use. The Page Designer mode has really too much details.

Switch to Two Pane mode and completely ignore the Layout tab thereafter.

You wrote: I'm still not clear on what we are trying to achieve. As stated previously, if I had some idea of the actual purpose of this region I would be better positioned to help.

In a nutshell, what I would like to achieve is for instance to have that piece of text: "Today is Day, Month Year" to be print on each page or a set of pages, somewhere at the top of the page, or maybe on the left, just after the menu, for the Universal Theme.

Can we please dispense with "for instance" and other forms of obfuscation? My interest in knowing exactly what content is involved is not simply curiosity. There are semantic and accessibility concerns that have to be considered when determining the required display position and HTML representation, and these are dependent on the actual nature of the content.

• 6. Re: Work-around for Page Template Region Position 8 with Universal Theme
                    Laury

Hi,

1) REGION_POSITION_08

Yes, you are right, my misatke.

The REGION_POSITION_08 apper on the top and right of the page, just below the NAVIGATION)BAR region.

Straddling between REGION_POSITION_07 and AFTER_HEADER region.

2) Test application

I have created a test application with the Topaz theme, and imported it on apex.oracle.com:

Username: LTEST

Password: 123456789

Application: TestShortcut

I created a shortcut to be displayed in REGION_POSITION_08, the same way it is in the original application, but it is not properly rendered.

The only difference with the original application is that I do not use a package for the demo.

Any idea how to preceed further?

3) The Legacy Component View

Yes, I can use the Two Pane mode instead.

Kind Regards

• 7. Re: Work-around for Page Template Region Position 8 with Universal Theme
                      fac586

Laury wrote:

Hi,

1) REGION_POSITION_08

The REGION_POSITION_08 apper on the top and right of the page, just below the NAVIGATION)BAR region.

2) Test application

I have created a test application with the Topaz theme, and imported it on apex.oracle.com:

I created a shortcut to be displayed in REGION_POSITION_08, the same way it is in the original application, but it is not properly rendered.

The only difference with the original application is that I do not use a package for the demo.

Need the workspace name as well.

• 8. Re: Work-around for Page Template Region Position 8 with Universal Theme
                        Laury

Yes, of course.

Workspace: LTEST

• 9. Re: Work-around for Page Template Region Position 8 with Universal Theme
                          fac586

Laury wrote:

1) REGION_POSITION_08

2) Test application

In 5.x and 18.x you need to set the Expand Shortcuts property in the region Attributes to Yes.

I created a copy of the demo app and migrated it to the Universal Theme and tried out a couple of options:

1. A navigation bar entry
                          2. A region in the Breadcrumb region position with custom template options

Both of these are fully declarative and non-invasive (i.e. the theme stays subscribed to the repository; no template customisation or DOM manipulation), and both work in 5.1 and 18.x.

The nav bar entry is the most obvious solution. It's not ideal for several reasons:

• Shortcuts are not expanded in nav bar entries, so it uses an application item and Before Header computation instead.
                          • It's rendered as a link, which isn't useful if there is nothing for it to link to.
                          • It wastes a fair amount of nav bar real estate that might be required for real links.

The breadcrumb region supports the use of shortcuts, so it looks like the more interesting solution. It uses the following settings:

• Region Template: Standard
                          • Template Options
                            • Header: Hidden
                            • Style: Remove UI Decoration
                            • Top/Bottom/Left Margin: Small
                            • Right Margin: Medium
                          • CSS Classes: u-pullRight

u-pullRight is a built-in Universal Theme modifier class used to float a region to the right side of its container. This positions the region containing the shortcut on the right of the breadcrumb area, which is generally unused space. The examples show that this is compatible with all of the commonly used types of breadcrumb area content.

• 10. Re: Work-around for Page Template Region Position 8 with Universal Theme
                            Laury

Hi,

Thanks.

I get it almost.

But, what options did you give to have the shortcut displayed just on the right of Log Out, just below the Log Out, or just on the right of Home / Compact Breadcrumb?

Besides that, how can I make the Breadcrumb displayed with a smaler size?

Kind Regards

• 11. Re: Work-around for Page Template Region Position 8 with Universal Theme
                              fac586

Laury wrote:

I get it almost.

But, what options did you give to have the shortcut displayed just on the right of Log Out

It is the &G_CURRENTDATE. navigation bar entry (Application 101799 > Shared Components > Classic Navigation Bar Entries). As stated above it doesn't use the shortcut as there is no support for this in navigation bar entries. It is therefore based on an application item value instead.

If this is your preferred option then as part of the upgrade you should change the navigation bar implementation from Classic to List in the user interface settings.

just below the Log Out, just on the right of Home / Compact Breadcrumb?

Again as stated above, this uses the u-pullRight modifier class applied in the region CSS Classes property.

Besides that, how can I make the Breadcrumb displayed with a smaler size?

Unfortunately this has to be done by applying a element style in the shortcut region source as I can't find any suitable predefined utility class:

<span style="font-size: 1.2rem">"CURRENTDATE"</span>

• 12. Re: Work-around for Page Template Region Position 8 with Universal Theme
                                Laury

1) About: But, what options did you give to have the shortcut displayed just on the right of Log Out

You wrote: It is the &G_CURRENTDATE. navigation bar entry (Application 101799 > Shared Components > Classic Navigation Bar Entries). As stated above it doesn't use the shortcut as there is no support for this in navigation bar entries. It is therefore based on an application item value instead.

=> I see it, but if I look on mine (I use Application Express 5.1.2.00.09) I do not see any Classic Navigation Bar Entries.

I guess, it is maybe beter if I do not use the navigation entry bar to display the functionality of the shortcut.

2) About: just below the Log Out, or just on the right of Home / Compact Breadcrumb

=> I have already set Attributes -> Region CSS Classes: u-pullRight.

But it is for me not exactly below the Log Out as the region for the breadcrumb is rather significant.

3) About: Besides that, how can I make the Breadcrumb displayed with a smaler size?

=> I have tried your tip, using the span tagm and it makes indeed the shortcut "smaller".

=> But how to make the breadcrumb region smaller? That's the area where I wish to display the shortcut.

=> On page=1, application=101799, how can I make the height of the "Home" breadcrumb smaller?

=> On page=3, application=101799, there is a nice compact breadcrumb on "compact breadcrumb" page, that could be for me a good option. How did you make it?

I cannot see in the Page Designer how it is constructed.

• 13. Re: Work-around for Page Template Region Position 8 with Universal Theme
                                  fac586

Laury wrote:

Please use the standard forum quoting mechanism to include content from previous posts.

1) About: But, what options did you give to have the shortcut displayed just on the right of Log Out

You wrote: It is the &G_CURRENTDATE. navigation bar entry (Application 101799 > Shared Components > Classic Navigation Bar Entries). As stated above it doesn't use the shortcut as there is no support for this in navigation bar entries. It is therefore based on an application item value instead.

=> I see it, but if I look on mine (I use Application Express 5.1.2.00.09) I do not see any Classic Navigation Bar Entries.

I guess, it is maybe beter if I do not use the navigation entry bar to display the functionality of the shortcut.

Have you already changed the upgraded app to use a list-based navigation bar as described above? If so, it can be found under Application > Shared Components > Navigation Bar List. There is little difference either way: I have created another copy of the demo app (98941) with a list-based navigation bar.

2) About: just below the Log Out, or just on the right of Home / Compact Breadcrumb

=> I have already set Attributes -> Region CSS Classes: u-pullRight.

But it is for me not exactly below the Log Out as the region for the breadcrumb is rather significant.

Unclear. Post a screenshot or upload another demo to apex.oracle.com.

3) About: Besides that, how can I make the Breadcrumb displayed with a smaler size?

=> I have tried your tip, using the span tagm and it makes indeed the shortcut "smaller".

=> But how to make the breadcrumb region smaller? That's the area where I wish to display the shortcut.

=> On page=1, application=101799, how can I make the height of the "Home" breadcrumb smaller?

=> On page=3, application=101799, there is a nice compact breadcrumb on "compact breadcrumb" page, that could be for me a good option. How did you make it?

Using the Use Compact Style template option on the Breadcrumb region. This is not available in 5.1. Maybe 18.2 would be a better option?

I suggest that you spend some time familiarising yourself with the UI changes introduced in APEX 5.0+

• 14. Re: Work-around for Page Template Region Position 8 with Universal Theme
                                    Laury

Yes, I still have to explore the "quoting mechanism".

1)

I am a bit lost with that point.

No, I have no tried to upgrade to 18.x.

This might be a next step. For the time being, we just try "migrate" functionalities from Topaz to Universal Theme.

You wrote:  I have created another copy of the demo app (98941) with a list-based navigation bar.

I really do understand whay you mean with that list-based navigation bar.

Here is what I see from Shared Components -> Navigation -> Navigation Bar List -> Navigation Bar:

So, I still do not understand how to make appear the shortcut just on the right of the "Logout".

So, how did you do?

2)

On application 98941, there is a page Compact Breadcrumb.

On this page, there is the breadcrumb: Home  \ Compact Breadcrumb.

How do you build up a so "small" area breadcrum?

Here is where I used the CSS class u-pullRight:

(all taken from the original all because I cannot see it on Page Designer of APEX Oracle)

3)

I have created an application with an example of shortcut with APEX 5.1, Application 50696, and imported it in APEX Oracle (APEX 18.2.0.00.12).

a) How can I make the "Home" breadcrumb area/region and text "smaller" the way you have created it for "Home  \ Compact Breadcrumb"?

b) How can I have displayed the shortcut just on the right and on the same level of "Log Out"?

I cannot see in your demos and through the Page Designer how you created the functionalities.

Here is what I I see:

You wrote: Using the Use Compact Style template option on the Breadcrumb region. This is not available in 5.1. Maybe 18.2 would be a better option?

Is it the only way to reduce breadcrumb area/region and/or make the breadcrumb text smaller?

Yes, I would need to go further with the UI classes and how to use them.

But, for the time being I would like to understand what I am doing now with the shortcut.

1 2 Previous Next