This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2006 11:26 AM by Charles Lamb RSS

Implicit transactions

540482 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I've tried using implicit transactions both through the XAEnvironment using 2PC protocol and by using Environment.setThreadTransaction() and normal Transaction API. Either way, i begin a transaction, do a few put()'s without passing a transaction then i do a rollback expecting all put()'s to be rolled back in the implicit transaction. However, the result is that all the put()'s have already been committed just as you would expect by calling put() without a txn -- essentially auto-commit. Curiously, it does seem that the implicit transaction is recognized because when i set the database to non-transactional and do the same thing, je complains that the database is not transactional even when i call put() without a transaction. What am i missing?
  • 1. Re: Implicit transactions
    Charles Lamb Pro
    Hi User537479,

I'm assuming from your post that you are not in an app server environment -- if so, please let me know which one you're using. I don't know if you've seen the FAQ entry on 2PC/XA transactions. If not, it's located here:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/berkeley-db/faq/je_faq.html#26

and it contains a short example.

Let me know if this helps. If not, please tell me more about your environment (app server or not), and if possible please give me a small code snippit.

Regards,

Charles Lamb
  • 2. Re: Implicit transactions
    512799 Newbie
    Hi,

You may have autocommit mode enabled.

If the environment and database configuration has transactions turned on, then autocommit mode is used when null is passed for a transaction handle.

For example, the openDatabase below will be transactional via autocommit:

Database myDatabase = null;
    Environment myEnv = null;
    try {
    EnvironmentConfig myEnvConfig = new EnvironmentConfig();
    myEnvConfig.setTransactional(true);
    myEnv = new Environment(new File("/my/env/home"),
    myEnvConfig);

// Open the database. Create it if it does not already exist.
    DatabaseConfig dbConfig = new DatabaseConfig();
    dbConfig.setTransactional(true);
    myDatabase = myEnv.openDatabase(null,
    "sampleDatabase",
    dbConfig);

} catch (DatabaseException de) {
    // Exception handling goes here
    }

AutoCommit mode is described here:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/berkeley-db/je/TransactionGettingStarted/enabletxn.html

Ron Cohen
    Oracle Corporation
  • 3. Re: Implicit transactions
    540482 Newbie
    I'm not running in an app server, just testing the implicit txn by itself. My use of the XA pretty much follows the example in the FAQ you sited.

XAEnvironment env = new XAEnvironment(home, config) where config has transactional=true;
    Xid = myXidImpl();
    env.start(Xid, 0);
    PrimaryIndex<E>.put(E);
    ." "
    ." "
    env.end(Xid, SUCCESS);
    env.prepare(Xid);
    env.rollback(Xid);

Each of the puts seems to be auto-comitted. As i understood, with implicit txn, i can pass a null txn and still have each operation protected under the same txn? Do i misunderstand?

In addition, i tried the above using normal Environment and Transaction and env.setThreadTransaction with the same result.
  • 4. Re: Implicit transactions
    540482 Newbie
    Yes i understand that passing null txn to an operation on a database set as transactional causes auto-commit. But i thought the whole point of XA and thread-associated txns was that if and XA transaction were started and the JE txn was associated with the thread, you did not have to pass the txn to each operation but it would still operate as if you had.
  • 5. Re: Implicit transactions
    Charles Lamb Pro
    Well it turns out that this is our bug. The collections API and base api both know to check if there's an implicit transaction when null is passed for the transaction argument. The DPL, however, calls beginTransaction if the transaction arg is null. I'll work up a patch for this and post it. If you prefer, I can email you a jar file with the fix. Drop me an email (charles.lamb @ the obvious.com) and I'll send it off to you when it's done. I'm getting ready for OOW, but hopefully I can get you a patch in the next few days.

In the meantime, the workaround is to pass the result of Environment.getThreadTransaction() as the transaction argument to your DPL calls.

Thanks for posting this.

Regards,

Charles Lamb
  • 6. Re: Implicit transactions
    Charles Lamb Pro
    This bug [15206] will be fixed in the next release of JE.