13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2019 2:38 PM by jaramill

Please suggest the certifications suitable for me.

Manjusha Muraleedas

Hi,

I have competed the following certifications.

27-FEB-161Z0-146 Oracle Database 11g: Advanced PL/SQL PASS
      29-JUL-141Z0-144 Oracle Database 11g: Program with PL/SQL PASS
      10-AUG-131Z0-051 Oracle Database: SQL Fundamentals I PASS

I would like to upgrade my certifications and also get a certification on SQL tuning. Please suggest the certifications suitable for me.

Thanks,

Manjusha

• 1. Re: Please suggest the certifications suitable for me.
          John_K

I'm not sure I'd bother to be honest - employers care about experience over certifications, and your ability to apply that experience in the real world. There are some exceptions such as an architect role requiring TOGAF certification etc, however for things like SQL, I've never seen a developer job advertised where the mandatory requirements are for certification.

• 2. Re: Please suggest the certifications suitable for me.
            Stefan Jager

John_K wrote:

employers care about experience over certifications

Hmm. I know, and have interviewed with, plenty of organizations that preferred paper over experience. Needless to say I never worked for those organizations (most of the time if I noticed that I broke of the interview myself - those are not environments I'd feel happy in), but in my experience some folks still do place papers over experience. Rather short-sighted of them, but it does happen, at least in my part of the world.

• 3. Re: Please suggest the certifications suitable for me.
              EdStevens

Manjusha Muraleedas wrote:

Hi,

I would like to upgrade my certifications and also get a certification on SQL tuning. Please suggest the certifications suitable for me.

Thanks,

Manjusha

Since you already have three certifications, you obviously know how to navigate the system and see what's available. What's suitable for you is dependent on what you want to achieve. The first question you have to ask yourself is why you want an additional certification at all.

• 4. Re: Please suggest the certifications suitable for me.
                L. Fernigrini

I have already answered on the other thread....

Please suggest the certifications suitable for me.

Next time please open just one question on the best suited space .

• 5. Re: Please suggest the certifications suitable for me.
                  mathguy

Stefan Jager wrote:

John_K wrote:

employers care about experience over certifications

Hmm. I know, and have interviewed with, plenty of organizations that preferred paper over experience. Needless to say I never worked for those organizations (most of the time if I noticed that I broke of the interview myself - those are not environments I'd feel happy in), but in my experience some folks still do place papers over experience. Rather short-sighted of them, but it does happen, at least in my part of the world.

The same cuts both ways. I have interviewed (in a different field, finance), coming from academia, as a math professor, with companies that only valued experience and put no weight on paper; that's just as shortsighted. I made sure in our company we didn't make that mistake, when I eventually became managing partner in a firm in that industry.

For what it's worth, I am fully retired, but I am sure if I applied for a job working with Oracle SQL and PL/SQL right now, I wouldn't get one from most employers, due to my complete lack of experience in any form of IT job.

• 6. Re: Please suggest the certifications suitable for me.
                    jaramill

John_K wrote:

I'm not sure I'd bother to be honest - employers care about experience over certifications, and your ability to apply that experience in the real world. There are some exceptions such as an architect role requiring TOGAF certification etc, however for things like SQL, I've never seen a developer job advertised where the mandatory requirements are for certification.

Well SOME employers DO care about the "paper" and thus I have both the OCE-SQL and the OCA-PL/SQL, because I definitely am seeing more job postings that say "Oracle certification preferred....or Oracle Certified Professional certification required"

Combined with my years of experience and my degrees, it puts me more up front.  And with search engines like LinkedIn that have a unique way for job recruiters to find you, one filter is "certifications" so if you have one you won't be filtered out.

• 7. Re: Please suggest the certifications suitable for me.
                      jaramill

Manjusha Muraleedas wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,

Manjusha

Since L. Fernigrini and I usually reply to threads on the Certification Community forum, I'll say that getting the SQL Tuning certification (based on what I read are the requirements) is MUCH tougher, and requires more learning about the database from a DBA point-of-view.

There's nothing wrong with learning and achieving the certifications and those 3 are perfect (I'm going for the 12c version of the Advanced PL/SQL - 1Z0-148), but I agree with what others have said, that at some point, more than those 3 and recruiters/employers won't care.  They'll care that you have some certifications.

But getting them just increases your knowledge which at the end of the day is the goal.

• 8. Re: Please suggest the certifications suitable for me.
                        Stefan Jager

Agreed. Neither is good, and as usual the best answer is "it depends", on the job, the applicant, etc etc etc. There's always a lot of grey between black and white.

• 9. Re: Please suggest the certifications suitable for me.
                          EdStevens

But getting them just increases your knowledge which at the end of the day is the goal.

And that's exactly why I told the OP "The first question you have to ask yourself is why you want an additional certification at all."

Hopefully, one would study for the exam with the goal of actually gaining understanding of the subject matter.  But I fear that too often, the study is directed toward remembering correct answers, with the only goal being to get the certification for its own sake.

• 10. Re: Please suggest the certifications suitable for me.
                            jaramill

EdStevens wrote:

Hopefully, one would study for the exam with the goal of actually gaining understanding of the subject matter. But I fear that too often, the study is directed toward remembering correct answers, with the only goal being to get the certification for its own sake.

I've heard that in companies outside the US, mandate that their employees have a certification in order to continue their employment or to be able to be "promoted".  I'm being specific to Oracle, in that I've read postings from people saying this.  So these employees

feel "forced" to take the exam and pass just to keep working, as opposed to 'wanting' to take the exam to learn.

Once I got my OCE-SQL (and this was way later in my career), it REALLY opened my eyes to how powerful the SQL language is, and same for when I got my OCA-PL/SQL.  It just gives me a well-rounded foundation that experience in the job would not.

Having both makes you a better job candidate.

• 11. Re: Please suggest the certifications suitable for me.
                              EdStevens

jaramill wrote:

EdStevens wrote:

Hopefully, one would study for the exam with the goal of actually gaining understanding of the subject matter. But I fear that too often, the study is directed toward remembering correct answers, with the only goal being to get the certification for its own sake.

I've heard that in companies outside the US, mandate that their employees have a certification in order to continue their employment or to be able to be "promoted". I'm being specific to Oracle, in that I've read postings from people saying this. So these employees

feel "forced" to take the exam and pass just to keep working, as opposed to 'wanting' to take the exam to learn.

Unfortunately true.  When in those situations, there is a very real and understandable motivation to get the cert as easily as possible, and get it simply to have it.  And I'd bet a cold one that those are the places that are driving people to go in search of test dumps, all the more to memorize answers, which is a more immediate concern than actually learning.

And I wouldn't be at all surprised if these are the same employers that have a culture that discourages employees from questioning anything nonsense "requirement" that comes down "from my senior".

• 12. Re: Please suggest the certifications suitable for me.
                                user13328581

Just curious, how did you prepare for listed certification OCE-SQL and OCA-PL/SQL. Did you buy the online training material. THank you

• 13. Re: Please suggest the certifications suitable for me.
                                  jaramill

user13328581 wrote:

Just curious, how did you prepare for listed certification OCE-SQL and OCA-PL/SQL. Did you buy the online training material.  Thank you

Read my thread --> Exam 1Z0-144 (11g Program with PL/SQL) - My Review

I explain everything.