7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2019 10:25 PM by lake

How to stop java security warning?

jawed31

java_security_warning.jpg

• 1. Re: How to stop java security warning?
          Michael Ferrante-Oracle

Sign your custom jars with known and trusted certificates (e.g. Verisign, Thawte, etc). 

• 2. Re: How to stop java security warning?
            lake

I have the same issue with a brand new forms install with no custom jar files. I

think the only way to stop it is to put the urls in the java control panel

security exceptions. you need to include the port number(s).

After I said that I found that it still put out the security warning. But it was possible to stop it by running javaws ( jre1.8.0_202) from the command line wherein

it has an option to stop outputting the message. However this was url-specific. If anything differed, it comes up with it again.  See above. javaws.png

It is a complete mystery why this happens. I had thought it was because the cert expired. But frmall.jar at least was timestamped.

jarsigner  -verify -verbose -certs frmall.jar >foo

"The signer certificate expired on 2018-02-01. However, the JAR will be valid until the timestamp expires on 2020-12-29"

There definitely will be a problem after 12/29/2020 so we might as well get used to it. :-)

unknown.pngexpired.png

• 3. Re: How to stop java security warning?
              F.Matz

Can you verify your Java IE 11 plugin with https://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp ?

Friedhold

• 4. Re: How to stop java security warning?
                Michael Ferrante-Oracle

The only way I might anticipate this happening on a new installation would be if you are not using 12.2.1.3.  Note that custom jar files include your own Java Beans or PJCs, icon/image jar files, and even jacob.jar.  Anything that is not delivered with the installation and requires you to sign becomes an issue.  You cannot use sign_webutil.bat/sh.  You must use a real certificate that came from a CA.

You can use the Site Exception list to avoid some of the messaging, but not all messages.  To avoid most of the messages you would need to use a Deployment Rule Set, but it needs to be properly signed too.

• 5. Re: How to stop java security warning?
                  lake

I don't know what jars it is looking at. In the formsweb.cfg I have:

basejnlp=base.jnlp

webstart=enabled

same as for the webstart entry. So is it not just frmall.jar like below? The extensions.jnlp file

specifies no other jars.

Now I am more unhappy about the fact that java wants to update.

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_202-b26) downloaded from oracle support.

see attached where ie wants it to update.  I fear it would update to a version beyond 8. Anyone let it do the update to see what it is going to do?

Looking at the base.jnlp which I have no idea about how it works, this part worries me:

<resources>

<!-- Application Resources -->

<j2se version="%java_version%" href="http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se"/>

<jfx:javafx-runtime version="2.2+"/>

<jar href="%contextRoot%/java/frmall.jar" download="eager" main="true" />

<extension name="Extensions" href="%contextRoot%/java/extensions.jnlp"/>

</resources>

Is it telling it to go find a current version of java? We certainly do not want the current version. I think it was but now that url doesn't work thankfully.

If it is just going to 8u211 it's ok but historically java will try to update a lot more than that like 12.0.1java8u220.png

• 6. Re: How to stop java security warning?
                    Michael Ferrante-Oracle

You won't/can't be updated to anything but 8 because newer versions do not support Autoupdate.