1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2019 9:21 AM by Stefan Jager

Swap returned rows to columns

Looking for some SQL expertise to assist with my dilemma. I have a query below the generates the four rows shown below the query. I need a way to get the four rows into a single row (shown at bottom), with column headers of LOAD_ID, DRIVER(S), TRACTOR, & TRAILER.

SELECT

LL.LD_LEG_ID LOAD_ID,

DA.DRVR_CD,

DR.DRVR_NAME

FROM LD_LEG_T LL

JOIN DRVR_ASSN_T DA on DA.LD_LEG_ID = LL.LD_LEG_ID

JOIN DRVR_T DR ON DR.DRVR_CD = DA.DRVR_CD

WHERE LL.LD_LEG_ID = 1614

LOAD_ID

DRVR_CD
      DRVR_NAME

DRIVER_007Riggs, Martin
      1614DRIVER_008Murtaugh, Roger
      1614TRACTOR_008TRACTOR 001
      1614TRAILER_001TRAILER 001

This is how the data needs to look:

LOAD_ID

DRIVER(S)

TRACTOR

TRAILER

1614Riggs, Martin;Murtaugh, RogerTractor 001Trailer 001
        • 1. Re: Swap returned rows to columns
          John Thorton

3574931 wrote:

Looking for some SQL expertise to assist with my dilemma. I have a query below the generates the four rows shown below the query. I need a way to get the four rows into a single row (shown at bottom), with column headers of LOAD_ID, DRIVER(S), TRACTOR, & TRAILER.

SELECT

LL.LD_LEG_ID LOAD_ID,

DA.DRVR_CD,

DR.DRVR_NAME

FROM LD_LEG_T LL

LOAD_ID

DRVR_CD
          DRVR_NAME

DRIVER_007Riggs, Martin

LOAD_ID

DRIVER(S)

TRACTOR

TRAILER

Please click on URL below & provide details as stated in #5 - #9 inclusive

How do I ask a question on the forums?

How do I convert rows to columns?

• 2. Re: Swap returned rows to columns
            Frank Kulash

Hi,

3574931 wrote:

SELECT

LL.LD_LEG_ID LOAD_ID,

DA.DRVR_CD,

DR.DRVR_NAME

FROM LD_LEG_T LL

LOAD_ID

DRVR_CD
            DRVR_NAME

DRIVER_007Riggs, Martin

LOAD_ID

DRIVER(S)

TRACTOR

TRAILER

Whenever you have a problem, please post a little sample data (CREATE TABLE and INSERT statements, relevant columns only) from all tables involved, so that the people who want to help you can re-create the problem and test their ideas.
            Also post the exact results you want from that data, and an explanation (in general terms) of how you get those results from that data, with specific examples.
            It always helps to show what you've tried, that is, the code that seems to come closest to what you want.

Always say which version of Oracle you're using (for example, 12.2.0.1.0).
            See the Forum FAQ: Re: 2. How do I ask a question on the forums?

What are the possible values of drvr_cd?  Are the 4 values shown above the only ones possible.

Will you sometimes want a delimited list in the tractor or trailor columns?  If so, include an example when you post the sample data.

What is unique in the results you are getting now.  (In this small sample, everything except load_id is unique, but I'll bet that's not true in your real data.)  How do you want to handle duplicates (if hey are possible)?

• 3. Re: Swap returned rows to columns

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try to get better in the future. To answer your questions specifically, in this example, there will always only be a single tractor, and a single trailer, but there may be 1-3 drivers that drive the truck. The result that I want is shown at the bottom of my post, where the DRIVER(S) is the only field that would concatenate multiple driver's names into a single column

• 4. Re: Swap returned rows to columns
                jaramill

Well the future is now, so post the full Oracle database version that is referenced in #5 of the link John and Frank mentioned as well as the other things mentioned.

Remember this is not a free-coding service.  You need to provide the info in order to get help.  This a volunteer forum.  Provide the DDL and DML statements of the table and data.

You did that but not in a way where forum members can copy/paste into their own db environment, and if you are on an older version of Oracle (which we do not know since you FAILED to provide this info)

then certain solutions (i.e. PIVOT/UNPIVOT) won't work.

Help US help YOU.

• 5. Re: Swap returned rows to columns
                  CarlosDLG

You still need to post your tables' and sample data script, if you want tested suggestions.

When you post it, please explain, just based on the data, how you know that a trailer or a tractor is not a driver.

• 6. Re: Swap returned rows to columns
                    Frank Kulash

Hi,

Okay, so a given load_id can be on any number of rows where drvr_cd starts with 'DRIVER_', but (at most) only one row where drvr_cd starts with 'TRACTOR_' or 'TRAILER_',  You want to display one row per load_id, with a semicolon-delimited list of all the drivers in one column, and the tractor and the trailer in additional columns.

Since I don't have a copy of your table, I'll show you how to do that using the scott.emp table, where a given deptno can be on any number of rows with job='ANALYST', but (at most) only one row where job is 'MANAGER' or 'PRESIDENT'.  The query below displays one row per deptno, with a semicolon-delimited list of all the analysts in one column, and the manager and the president in additional columns.

SELECT    deptno

,         LISTAGG ( CASE

WHEN  job = 'ANALYST'

THEN  ename

END

, ';'

) WITHIN GROUP (ORDER BY  ename)  AS analyst

,         MIN ( CASE

WHEN  job = 'MANAGER'

THEN  ename

END

)                                     AS manager

,         MIN ( CASE

WHEN  job = 'PRESIDENT'

THEN  ename

END

)                                     AS president

FROM       scott.emp

WHERE      deptno  IN (10, 20)

GROUP BY   deptno

ORDER BY   deptno

;

Output:

DEPTNO ANALYST    MANAGER    PRESIDENT

------- ---------- ---------- ----------

10            CLARK      KING

20 FORD;SCOTT JONES

No error occurs just because a particular deptno is missing a particular job.  For example, deptno=10 has no 'ANALYST', so the analyst column on that row in NULL.

This query will work in Oracle 11.2 or higher.  In versions 9.1 through 11.1 you can't use LISTAGG, but there are other ways to get the same results as LISTAGG.

• 7. Re: Swap returned rows to columns

Sorry all, the permissions I have for the DB don't allow me to create DDL and DML statements of the table and data, all I can do is query the tables which is what I listed previously. We're running Oracle 11g.

• 8. Re: Swap returned rows to columns
                        Frank Kulash

Hi,

3574931 wrote:

Sorry all, the permissions I have for the DB don't allow me to create DDL and DML statements of the table and data, all I can do is query the tables which is what I listed previously.

That's a shame.  If your job involves writing queries, you really ought to have the ability to create your own test tables, in your own schema in a Development database.

But, if you can't create tables, you can always use WITH clauses instead, as shown in the Forum FAQ: Re: 2. How do I ask a question on the forums?  under "7) Sample Data".

We're running Oracle 11g.

There is no Oracle 11f or 11h, so it's pretty silly to say you're running 11g, especially after reply #6, which said the difference between 11.1 and 11.2 was significant in this case.

• 10. Re: Swap returned rows to columns

Frank, I tried using your example as such but I am getting an error saying there's a missing parenthesis.

SELECT    LL.LD_LEG_ID LOAD_ID

, LISTAGG ( CASE WHEN DA.DRVR_CD LIKE 'DRIVER%' THEN  DR.DRVR_NAME END, ';' ) WITHIN GROUP (ORDER BY  DR.DRVR_NAME) AS DRIVER

, MIN ( CASE WHEN  DA.DRVR_CD LIKE 'TRACTOR%' THEN  DR.DRVR_NAME END) AS TRACTOR

, MIN ( CASE WHEN  DA.DRVR_CD LIKE 'TRAILER%' THEN  DR.DRVR_NAME END) AS TRAILER

FROM LD_LEG_T LL

WHERE LL.LD_LEG_ID IN (1614,1615)

GROUP BY LL.LD_LEG_ID

• 11. Re: Swap returned rows to columns
                            Frank Kulash

Hi,

3574931 wrote:

Frank, I tried using your example as such but I am getting an error saying there's a missing parenthesis.

SELECT LL.LD_LEG_ID LOAD_ID

, LISTAGG ( CASE WHEN DA.DRVR_CD LIKE 'DRIVER%' THEN DR.DRVR_NAME END, ';' ) WITHIN GROUP (ORDER BY DR.DRVR_NAME) AS DRIVER

, MIN ( CASE WHEN DA.DRVR_CD LIKE 'TRACTOR%' THEN DR.DRVR_NAME END) AS TRACTOR

, MIN ( CASE WHEN DA.DRVR_CD LIKE 'TRAILER%' THEN DR.DRVR_NAME END) AS TRAILER

FROM LD_LEG_T LL

GROUP BY LL.LD_LEG_ID

Always post the exact error message.  It probably has additional useful information, in particular about exactly where the error was detected.  If you'd post some sample data, I could run the query myself, and get the full error message.

Error messages often say "Missing parentheses" for all kinds of syntax errors;

• 12. Re: Swap returned rows to columns
                              jaramill

3574931 wrote:

SELECT LL.LD_LEG_ID LOAD_ID

, LISTAGG ( CASE WHEN DA.DRVR_CD LIKE 'DRIVER%' THEN DR.DRVR_NAME END, ';' ) WITHIN GROUP (ORDER BY DR.DRVR_NAME) AS DRIVER

, MIN ( CASE WHEN DA.DRVR_CD LIKE 'TRACTOR%' THEN DR.DRVR_NAME END) AS TRACTOR

, MIN ( CASE WHEN DA.DRVR_CD LIKE 'TRAILER%' THEN DR.DRVR_NAME END) AS TRAILER

FROM LD_LEG_T LL

GROUP BY LL.LD_LEG_ID

Show US the error.  Run that query in SQL* Plus and it will show where the issue is

• 13. Re: Swap returned rows to columns

RQP-DEF-0177 An error occurred while performing operation 'sqlPrepareWithOptions' status='-9'.

UDA-SQL-0107 A general exception has occurred during the operation "prepare".

ORA-00907: missing right parenthesis

RSV-SRV-0042 Trace back:

RSReportService.cpp(736): QFException: CCL_CAUGHT: RSReportService::processImpl()

RSReportServiceMethod.cpp(253): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: RSReportServiceMethod::process(): asynchRunSpecification_Request

RSASyncExecutionThread.cpp(873): QFException: RSASyncExecutionThread::checkException

RSASyncExecutionThread.cpp(317): QFException: CCL_CAUGHT: RSASyncExecutionThread::runImpl(): asynchRunSpecification_Request

RSASyncExecutionThread.cpp(918): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: RSASyncExecutionThread::processCommand(): asynchRunSpecification_Request

RSRequest.cpp(1657): QFException: CCL_THROW: RSRequest::executeInteractivePrompting()

RSQueryMgr.cpp(808): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: RSQueryMgr::getListIterator

RSQueryMgr.cpp(880): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: RSQueryMgr::getResultSetIterator

RSQueryMgr.cpp(988): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: RSQueryMgr::createIterator

RSQueryMgrBasic.cpp(296): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: RSQueryMgrBasic::executeRsapiCommand

RSQueryMgrBasic.cpp(673): QFException: CCL_THROW: RSQueryMgrBasic::processException

RSQueryMgrExecutionHandlerImpl.cpp(168): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: RSQueryMgrExecutionHandlerImpl::execute()

RSFaultHandler.cpp(97): QFException: CCL_THROW: RSFaultHandler::handleNonCriticalException

QFSSession.cpp(1190): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: QFSSession::ProcessDoRequest()

QFSSession.cpp(1188): QFException: CCL_CAUGHT: QFSSession::ProcessDoRequest()

QFSSession.cpp(1145): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: QFSSession::ProcessDoRequest()

QFSSession.cpp(1121): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: QFSSession::ProcessDoRequest()

QFSConnection.cpp(888): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: QFSConnection::Execute

QFSQuery.cpp(311): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: QFSQuery::Execute v2

CoordinationQFSQuery.cpp(4532): QFException: CCL_THROW: CoordinationPlanner

• 14. Re: Swap returned rows to columns
                                  CarlosDLG

That is not useful, unfortunately, because that is the error stack generated by the application from which you are executing the query.

You should try to make the query work in SQL Developer or SQL*Plus first, and only after you have a working statement, try to integrate into your application.

As Jaramill already suggested, run the query from SQL*Plus (or SQL Developer) and post here the complete error message you get.  If you don't get an error when running it from there, then the problem is not in the query, but in the application or the driver you are using to connect to the database.

1 2 Previous Next