1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2019 2:06 AM by Dude!

A download API for the forums?

Paulie

Hi all,

Is it (or are there any plans to make it) possible to download the posts to the various forums in bulk via an API.

StackOverflow do this and it is quite popular. I know that I for one would be very interested in studying the posts Messrs Kulash and Yakobson (inter alia).

Does this interest anybody else, or it it just a pipe-dream?

Rgs,

• 1. Re: A download API for the forums?
          Timo Hahn

There is no such API available here at the moment. To my knowledge, there is no plan to make such an API available. In summary: NO.

You can check Oracle Community Ideas and search there if somebody has added an idea for this already (which I pretty sure of).

Timo

• 2. Re: A download API for the forums?
            Stefan Jager

You can get an RSS feed of a particular forum (at the bottom of the first page there is usually a "Get a feed of this content"-link).

It's not that difficult to convert that xml to something else (html for example) and then save that somewhere. I used to do that for the forums I'm mostly participating in some time ago on one of my websites. Or maybe there are RSS-readers that can do that for you, I don't know (I always write my own tools and utilities for this kind of thing, since nothing ever does things exactly the way I want it done ).

• 3. Re: A download API for the forums?
              Dude!

Is it (or are there any plans to make it) possible to download the posts to the various forums in bulk via an API.

You mean download from the forums?

I would not appreciate if Oracle would provide such feature. There is too much potential for data abuse. Also, the terms of use are between me and Oracle and not between me and anyone downloading the information. There is nothing you can do if people find ways to download stuff from web sites, but providing a bulk download option is a different ball game.

StackOverflow do this and it is quite popular. I know that I for one would be very interested in studying the posts Messrs Kulash and Yakobson (inter alia).

Why not study the posts online?

• 4. Re: A download API for the forums?
                Paulie

> Also, the terms of use are between me and Oracle and not between me and anyone downloading the information.

I'm sure that when you signed up, you passed over rights for material you write here over to Oracle. They have the say, not you (IMHO).

> I would not appreciate if Oracle would provide such feature.

Why not? If the posts are available on a RBAR basis, why not allow them to be downloaded in bulk? It's merely a difference of scale!

Paulie...

• 5. Re: A download API for the forums?
                  Dude!
                  I'm sure that when you signed up, you passed over rights for material you write here over to Oracle. They have the say, not you (IMHO).

To my understanding this does not mean Oracle can freely transfer the agreement to a third party. The terms of use also state that users of the site are not allowed to distribute the information or use it for any commercial purpose. Allowing bulk downloads would neglect the current agreement. If Oracle changes the terms of use in a way that is against my best interest, I should still have the right to have my information removed from public access.

Some people have made tens of thousands of post over dozens of years. I would not give my OK that someone I don't know can filter and download all my posts to their desktop. I can't think of any good purpose. What are people going to do with this? Scan for something bad, create any kind of personal statistics, redistribute, sell or copy the information?

• 6. Re: A download API for the forums?
                    EdStevens

Paulie wrote:

> Also, the terms of use are between me and Oracle and not between me and anyone downloading the information.

> I would not appreciate if Oracle would provide such feature.

Why not? If the posts are available on a RBAR basis, why not allow them to be downloaded in bulk? It's merely a difference of scale!

Paulie...

And that difference of scale is all the difference in the world.  It's "merely a difference in scale" is what allows data mining, it's what drive the dark web, . . .

• 7. Re: A download API for the forums?
                      Paulie

Dude! wrote:

Some people have made tens of thousands of post over dozens of years. I would not give my OK that someone I don't know can filter and download all my posts to their desktop. I can't think of any good purpose. What are people going to do with this? Scan for something bad, create any kind of personal statistics, redistribute, sell or copy the information?

I was actually thinking of using the material under a Creative Commons licence in order to help people to learn SQL.

Some of the posts here by the "big hitters" are nothing short of awesome and it would be nice to be able to put those into a repository - no commerical gain, free to redistribute with attribution type of arrangement. Why else do people contribute here if not to have their work help others?

Pól...

• 8. Re: A download API for the forums?
                        Paulie

EdStevens wrote:

And that difference of scale is all the difference in the world. It's "merely a difference in scale" is what allows data mining, it's what drive the dark web,

Hi Ed, see my answer to Dude!

Pól...

• 9. Re: A download API for the forums?
                          Dude!

Please read:

Oracle Community Guidelines

solely for your personal here means for your eyes only.

https://www.oracle.com/legal/terms.html

I was actually thinking of using the material under a Creative Commons licence in order to help people to learn SQL.

Why else do people contribute here if not to have their work help others?

I cannot speak for others, but I doubt that most people contribute to the community so you can collect the information and redistribute or present it to your peers using your own license. Sorry, but in my book this is called plagiarizing.

• 10. Re: A download API for the forums?
                            EdStevens

Agree, 100%.

• 11. Re: A download API for the forums?
                              EdStevens

Paulie wrote:

EdStevens wrote:

And that difference of scale is all the difference in the world. It's "merely a difference in scale" is what allows data mining, it's what drive the dark web,

Hi Ed, see my answer to Dude!

Pól...

And see my answer to his answer #9.

• 12. Re: A download API for the forums?
                                Stefan Jager

Paulie wrote:

Some of the posts here by the "big hitters" are nothing short of awesome and it would be nice to be able to put those into a repository - no commerical gain, free to redistribute with attribution type of arrangement. Why else do people contribute here if not to have their work help others?

But why go through all the extra effort? What is the catch? These forums are free to join, and even when you do not join you can still read the posts. So those others could easily get their help from here directly, without any effort from you. All you have to do is point out the url's to them, which is a lot easier than harvesting posts and publishing or distributing them elsewhere. Which also has the benefit of comments and texts staying in context.

If you're thinking of developing some sort of SQL tutorials or something like that, using examples from these forums, then why not ask the people who wrote those examples directly if you're allowed to use those examples for that purpose? I doubt there's people who will say no if you ask...

• 13. Re: A download API for the forums?
                                  Dude!

I don't think so. If you allow someone to redistribute information that Oracle provides, you become complicit in breaching the terms of use. To my understanding, you have a copyright of your material and may redistribute the information you own, but not by using resources that Oracle provides.

1 2 Previous Next