6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2019 7:15 AM by 3843643

Quiz Using OPA

Hi All,

We have a requirement wherein we have to design a quiz. Some of the Specific things that business wants is as.

1.) The Sequence of the Questions and their available options should shuffle i.e if 5 people are  giving the Quiz all should get the different Questions.

2.) They want to get the capability of adding/deleting the Questions.

Can we achieve this thing using OPA ? Can we shuffle the Questions based on sessions?

Any pointers in this direction will be of great help.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Quiz Using OPA
          Paul Fowler

The answer is, of course, yes.  I proto-typed this once a few years back, but have lost the project.

In my opinion, this is one of those use-cases where an OPA framework needs to first be set up to make things easy.  Strong experience with OPA would greatly assist in doing this correctly so that the business has maximum flexibility and ease of maintenance...

So, as I recall, the problem was broken down into establishing multiple capabilities within OPA.

First, an ability to have randomness is probably required (randomness usually not a legal policy statement, so an OPA method has to be established in the project.)  Note, I once implemented a linear congruent generator in OPA: Selecting Pseudo-Random in OPA + an OPA game...  Rulescript will probably also work for randomness, or your invoking function could provide a semi-random value... Oracle Policy Automation Documentation Library   I always find there are many ways of solving problems in OPA.

Second, is the need to understand where and how the questions and answers are going to be generated by the business.  What is the user story?  Are questions and answers being fed by OPA Excel models, or are questions and answers values supplied in entities provided by an external system?  How are you going to make it extremely easy for the business to provide questions and answers?  Are all questions boolean?  Do you want multiple correct answers?  Are questions weighted in importance? and so on...

Finally, you need a policy model for the quiz, questions, possible answers, and the user provided results.  This isn't a very complex task, but we are talking about repetition and linkages, so a strong knowledge of OPA entities and relationships is required.

Put those items together, add interview screens, and you get a nice quiz.  In reality, you could model something in OPA that is far, far more complex than any online quiz I have ever seen in WordPress, etc...  ...and make it easy for the business to update as a bonus.

Now, that is my approach.  It is somewhat more complex.  Perhaps others in the community have tackled this with an easier approach or didn't lose their example model like I did?

• 2. Re: Quiz Using OPA
            Jasmine Lee-Oracle

Hmmm. I'm not convinced by this use case. It would certainly require custom code because it couldn't be done with purely out-of-the-box functionality (the RuleScript Paul mentions is JavaScript, you'd probably also need custom interview extensions or something like that). Also, there are plenty of niche products specifically designed for creating and managing quizzes.

If this were the sole reason someone was looking at OPA, I'm not so convinced. If someone already owned OPA and was just experimenting with what else they could use it for -- then maybe, but you'd have to use customizations/code to achieve what you're after. There may be better suited products for this purpose.

Cheers,

Jasmine

• 3. Re: Quiz Using OPA
              Paul Fowler

In general, I agree with Jasmine about the use case.  Perhaps there is a use case where DMV wants a "test" as well as to collect identifying information prior to issuing a learners permit (on a controlled PC).  Perhaps there are other tests...  I have never been asked, and I don't see this type of requirement in most written policy.  I would not immediately go to OPA to create a quiz. 

BUT, BUT, BUT Jasmine stated "it would certainly require custom code because it couldn't be done with purely out-of-the-box functionality

Challenge Accepted.

challenge.jpg

• 4. Re: Quiz Using OPA

Thank you Paul and Jasmine for your inputs...

The Business is using Siebel and OPA. Siebel is not able to cater this need. So, OPA only seems to be a viable options as they don't want to go for any other product because this is only one Quiz that they want to conduct.

At present business has not told from where do they want questions to be fed into the OPA . It can be Excel or siebel. But i think they will be more comfortable in using Excel.

We are exploring if we can create this Using OPA.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Quiz Using OPA
                  Paul Fowler

So, I won't lie, the OPA model is advanced (a lot of infer entity stuff + random number generator in natural language) and I stopped as soon as it seemed to be working...  Oracle Policy Automation for Random Quiz Taking

It was more of a prove-it-can-be-done without custom code, etc...  Pure out-of-the-box functionality.   I used only Microsoft Word for the framework rules (random generation, ordering of questions, etc) and the interview bar to create the screens.

Disclaimer: I am not an oracle employee (they may shoot me some day) and this was only a POC.  I don't plan on revisiting this.

1.) The Sequence of the Questions and their available options should shuffle i.e if 5 people are  giving the Quiz all should get the different Questions.  CHECK - DONE

2.) They want to get the capability of adding/deleting the Questions. - CHECK - DONE - See the excel rules file.

• 6. Re: Quiz Using OPA

Thank you Paul Fowler for the efforts you have put in, in building this.

Thanks