3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2019 1:37 PM by jaramill

IZ0-071 EXAM PREPARATION

Hello my name is Nishant and i am from India.

Well i did a course of Oracle i.e oracle sql fundamentals -1 11g and oracle administration workshop 1 11g. This i have done while doing a job as a SQL developer in a company.

Now i have gained two years of experience since then. Now i wanted to move ahead and i am planning to pursue certification and needed help.

Well I have done my research and found out that the oracle 11g SQL fundamentals 1 exam 1Z0-051 has retired and now exam 12c SQL fundamentals 1Z0-061 is also going to retire in November 2019. So the only option left for me is the oracle SQL database exam 1Z0-071. i want to pursue my career as an oracle dba. Its been a long time since i have done my course on 11g.

i did a research about 1Z0-071 and found out that it is a midpoint exam. My question is that whether this exam is for beginners or for advance sql developers and what is the difficulty level of the exam. Any help regarding what is the difference between 1Z0-071 and 1Z0-061 or difference between 1Z0-071 and 1Z0-051.

Also wanted to inquire whether how to start preparing for the exam because i dont have the study material for the same. the only course material i have is for 11g. I did a search on amazon there two books for this.

1) Steve o hearn :

OCA Oracle Database SQL Exam Guide (Exam 1Z0-071) (Oracle Press) 1st Edition

2) Mathew Morris:

Study Guide for 1Z0-071: Oracle Database 12c SQL: Oracle Certification Prep Paperback – May 23, 2016

How should i prepare for my exam. Also how good are exam prep guide from oracle press.

i think i need to revise SQL fundamentals also. Little confused. Need proper guidance

***Moderator action (Timo): removed the links to the external book selling pages as they are considered spam.***

• 1. Re: IZ0-071 EXAM PREPARATION
          jaramill

Nishant:

Steve O'Hearn's book is an excellent book as is Matthew Morris (who is also a member of the forums) Oracle certification prep guides.

Also if you go to Matthew's website -->  Oracle Certification Prep: Main Page, you'll see he has tons of links to materials to study for that particular exam -->  Oracle Certification Prep: Exam details and preparation resources for 1Z0-071

Now that you've stated you're studying to become a DBA then definitely getting your OCA-SQL is step #1.

The only difference between exams 1Z0-051 and 1Z0-061 is the version of the database of which "Fundamentals" is based on (11g - 051; 12c - 061).  Exam 1Z0-071 is the more refined and complete version that is well-rounded.  You're better off studying for that one directly.

I'm not a DBA but a developer and I took and passed the OCE-SQL (Oracle Certified Expert) exam (1Z0-047) which is now retired and that one was extremely tough.  Oracle felt that, that exam was not inline with what SQL Developers do daily so they changed the test.

But it is STILL a valid exam if you passed it for other certification requirements.

Good luck.

• 2. Re: IZ0-071 EXAM PREPARATION

Should i directly prepare from Steve O'Hearn's book or Mathew Morris Book or should i revise my 11g fundamentals course ware to get a grasp of the fundamental concept first and then read the prep guide or should i read 12c SQL fundamental prep guide and then read the 1Z0-071 prep guide.

Also wanted to know whether what is the difficulty level of 1Z0-071 exam and difference between 1Z0-071 and 1Z0-061 or 1Z0-051 and 1Z0-71.

Also wanted to inquire whether how good are the practice test from kaplan self test and how much time should i give for preparation before the exam.

• 3. Re: IZ0-071 EXAM PREPARATION
              jaramill

4042454 wrote:

Should i directly prepare from Steve O'Hearn's book or Mathew Morris Book or should i revise my 11g fundamentals course ware to get a grasp of the fundamental concept first and then read the prep guide or should i read 12c SQL fundamental prep guide and then read the 1Z0-071 prep guide.

I would study from BOTH books.  Steve's books are overall bigger and more in-depth, whereas Matthew's guides are shorter and more focused and precise.  I would wait towards the end of your studying to read his book.  And I would also research all the study links on Matthew's website that is additional preparation for the exam.

4042454 wrote:

Also wanted to know whether what is the difficulty level of 1Z0-071 exam and difference between 1Z0-071 and 1Z0-061 or 1Z0-051 and 1Z0-71.

I would study for 1Z0-071 because that is tested on 11g and 12c.  As for the difficulty level well I would say that since 1Z0-071 achieves a certification it will be moderately difficult as compared to the fundamental exams for 11g/12c (051/061) that would relatively easier.

4042454 wrote:

Also wanted to inquire whether how good are the practice test from kaplan self test and how much time should i give for preparation before the exam.

Absolutely!  In fact there used to be two (2) companies:  Transcender and Self-Test (owned by Kaplan).  Then Kaplan bought Transcender so now it's just one company.  Definitely buy those to study for as those are officially recognized practice exams.  I would WAIT til a week before you're scheduled exam to take those practice exams to get a feel for them.

Matthew also has practice exams for certain Oracle exams that he's prepared himself.

And he used to work for Oracle so they are safe to use.  They are NOT brain-dumps.

As for how much time you need, it's all subjective based on the individual.  For me it took me 4 months (studying on weekends).  Others may be less/more.