1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2019 12:24 PM by Ram venu

Dynamic Pivoting

Ram venu

HI

I have data like below

"USER"                     "OFFICE_ID"                   "OFFICE_NAME"                   " WEEKDAY"                     "(SUBSTR(TO_CHAR(WEEKDAY,'DAY'),1,3))""        REQ_REC_30_DAY"              "REQ_REC_LESS_6MO"            "REQ_REC_MORE_6MO"            "REQ_REC_WINDOW"             

"user1"                   "HAR"                              CHICAGO                           "04-FEB-19"                                                 MON                                                                 1                                                           NULL                                         1                                              NULL                           

"user1"                   "HAR"                              CHICAGO                           "05-FEB-19"                                                 TUE                                                                NULL                                                        1                                              NULL                                          NULL                       

"user2"                   "HAR"                             CHICAGO                            "04-FEB-19"                                                 MON                                                                2                                                             1                                               NULL                                        NULL                                         

"user2"                   "HAR"                             CHICAGO                            "05-FEB-19"                                                 TUE                                                                 3                                                             8                                                  1                                                 6

I want output like below

"04-FEB-19"               "05-FEB-19"    

MON                         TUE

30 Days              ("REQ_REC_30_DAY" )                       1                               null  

< 6 MONTHS     ("REQ_REC_LESS_6MO" )                   null                            1

>6 MONTHS      ("REQ_REC_MORE_6MO" )                 1                               null

window             ( "REQ_REC_WINDOW")                       null                            null

please help how can I achieve

Thanks

Ram

• 1. Re: Dynamic Pivoting
          Mike Kutz

It is usually better to do this type of Dynamic Pivoting within the Display Tier.

(eg BI Publisher, APEX Report, PowerBI, etc.)

Columns names must be known at compile time.

• 2. Re: Dynamic Pivoting
            jaramill

Ram venu wrote:

please help how can I achieve

Thanks

Ram

Besides what Mike wrote, what query have YOU written that you need help with?

Please post DDL and DML and SQL to help along with DB version.  Read the link on --> Re: 2. How do I ask a question on the forums?

Answer questions #5 through #9

• 3. Re: Dynamic Pivoting
              Ram venu

I am trying to use Pivot to convert date into columns , but issue is that the column values are coming from column , but Pivot accepts only values

how can I enter column name instead of values in Pivot for IN clause ?

• 4. Re: Dynamic Pivoting
                Mike Kutz

Ram venu wrote:

I am trying to use Pivot to convert date into columns , but issue is that the column values are coming from column , but Pivot accepts only values

how can I enter column name instead of values in Pivot for IN clause ?

Hand name them.

with data as (
                    select e.sal, e.job, e.deptno
                    from emp e
                      join dept d on e.deptno=d.deptno
                )
                select * from data
                pivot (
                  count(*) as N
                  ,sum(sal) as Total_Salary
                  for deptno in ( 10 as NEW_YORK, 20 as DALLAS, 30 AS CHICAGO, 40 AS BOSTON)
                )

My $0.02

MK

• 5. Re: Dynamic Pivoting
                  Ram venu

for deptno in ( 10 as NEW_YORK, 20 as DALLAS, 30 AS CHICAGO, 40 AS BOSTON) 

I have to use column_name from query to populate values in IN clause

for deptno in ( date_col) 

• 6. Re: Dynamic Pivoting
                    Frank Kulash

Hi,

See

As others have said, this is best done in your front end.  Exactly how depends on what front end you are using.  In SQL*Plus, for example, you can use substitution variables or the @ command.

As always, if you want specific help, post a little sample data (CREATE TABLE and INSERT statements), the exact results you want from that data, and an explanation of how you get those results from that data.

Always say what version of Oracle you're using (e.g. 12.2.0.2.0).

See the forum FAQ: Re: 2. How do I ask a question on the forums?

• 7. Re: Dynamic Pivoting
                      Ram venu

INSERT INTO EXPORT_TABLE (USER_ID,OFFICE_ID,OFFICE_NAME,WEEKDAY,REQ_REC_30_DAY,REQ_REC_LESS_6MO,REQ_REC_MORE_6MO,REQ_REC_WINDOW,DY) VALUES ('USERID1','CHI','CHICAGO',to_date('05-FEB-19','DD-MON-RR'),NULL,1,NULL,NULL,'TUE');

INSERT INTO EXPORT_TABLE (USER_ID,OFFICE_ID,OFFICE_NAME,WEEKDAY,REQ_REC_30_DAY,REQ_REC_LESS_6MO,REQ_REC_MORE_6MO,REQ_REC_WINDOW,DY) VALUES ('USERID2','CHI','CHICAGO',to_date('04-FEB-19','DD-MON-RR'),NULL,2,1,NULL,'MON');

INSERT INTO EXPORT_TABLE (USER_ID,OFFICE_ID,OFFICE_NAME,WEEKDAY,REQ_REC_30_DAY,REQ_REC_LESS_6MO,REQ_REC_MORE_6MO,REQ_REC_WINDOW,DY) VALUES ('USERID2','CHI','CHICAGO',to_date('05-FEB-19','DD-MON-RR'),NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,'TUE');

Insert into EXPORT_TABLE (USER_ID,OFFICE_ID,OFFICE_NAME,WEEKDAY,REQ_REC_30_DAY,REQ_REC_LESS_6MO,REQ_REC_MORE_6MO,REQ_REC_WINDOW,DY) values ('USERID1','CHI','CHICAGO',to_date('04-FEB-19','DD-MON-RR'),1,null,1,null,'MON');

DB Version : Oracle Database 12c Enterprise Edition Release 12.1.0.2.0 - 64bit Production

from above I want output like

"04-FEB-19"               "05-FEB-19"    

MON                         TUE

30 Days              ("REQ_REC_30_DAY" )                       1                               null  

< 6 MONTHS     ("REQ_REC_LESS_6MO" )                   null                            1

>6 MONTHS      ("REQ_REC_MORE_6MO" )                 1                               null

window             ( "REQ_REC_WINDOW")                       null                            null

30 Days ,  < 6 MONTHS,  >6 MONTHS ,  window  are custom columns

The weekday column will split into columns

please let me know if you need any information

• 8. Re: Dynamic Pivoting
                        Mike Kutz

Ram venu wrote:

Why are you using 2-digit years?

Did Y2K not teach you anything?  Are you aware that the RR feature is a "band-aid fix"?  You do know that the result is non-deterministic and will change soon.  Right?

• 9. Re: Dynamic Pivoting
                          jaramill

Yes...you forgot to give us the DDL (table definition of the "export_table)

Also stop using the format mask of RR.   That was for the Y2K bug back in the year 2k (2000).  Use all 4 digits.

• 10. Re: Dynamic Pivoting
                            Mike Kutz

Ram venu wrote:

INSERT INTO EXPORT_TABLE (USER_ID,OFFICE_ID,OFFICE_NAME,WEEKDAY,REQ_REC_30_DAY,REQ_REC_LESS_6MO,REQ_REC_MORE_6MO,REQ_REC_WINDOW,DY) VALUES ('USERID1','CHI','CHICAGO',to_date('05-FEB-19','DD-MON-RR'),NULL,1,NULL,NULL,'TUE');

INSERT INTO EXPORT_TABLE (USER_ID,OFFICE_ID,OFFICE_NAME,WEEKDAY,REQ_REC_30_DAY,REQ_REC_LESS_6MO,REQ_REC_MORE_6MO,REQ_REC_WINDOW,DY) VALUES ('USERID2','CHI','CHICAGO',to_date('04-FEB-19','DD-MON-RR'),NULL,2,1,NULL,'MON');

INSERT INTO EXPORT_TABLE (USER_ID,OFFICE_ID,OFFICE_NAME,WEEKDAY,REQ_REC_30_DAY,REQ_REC_LESS_6MO,REQ_REC_MORE_6MO,REQ_REC_WINDOW,DY) VALUES ('USERID2','CHI','CHICAGO',to_date('05-FEB-19','DD-MON-RR'),NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,'TUE');

Insert into EXPORT_TABLE (USER_ID,OFFICE_ID,OFFICE_NAME,WEEKDAY,REQ_REC_30_DAY,REQ_REC_LESS_6MO,REQ_REC_MORE_6MO,REQ_REC_WINDOW,DY) values ('USERID1','CHI','CHICAGO',to_date('04-FEB-19','DD-MON-RR'),1,null,1,null,'MON');

DB Version : Oracle Database 12c Enterprise Edition Release 12.1.0.2.0 - 64bit Production

"04-FEB-19" "05-FEB-19"

MON TUE

30 Days ("REQ_REC_30_DAY" ) 1 null

< 6 MONTHS ("REQ_REC_LESS_6MO" ) null 1

>6 MONTHS ("REQ_REC_MORE_6MO" ) 1 null

window ( "REQ_REC_WINDOW") null null

30 Days , < 6 MONTHS, >6 MONTHS , window are custom columns

Static SQL

Not going to happen within Static SQL.

The resulting column name must be known at compile time.

Perform the dynamic pivot within the Display Tier.

Other Option:

use XML PIVOT.

But, then, you have to deal with translating the XML into something you can display.  (this has been done within an APEX Application)

ie Perform the dynamic pivot within the Display Tier

Dynamic SQL

The usage of Dynamic SQL is usually a Red Flag of a bad design somewhere.

Again, I highly recommend that you move the Dynamic Pivoting to the Display Tier.

Polymorphic Table Function

It might be possible to wrap the Dynamic SQL with a PTF, but the date range for the column names must be deduced by the static values (NO VARIABLES) given to the Function.

ie Column Names must be known as compile time.

Also, PFTs are an 18c feature.  Oracle-Base write up is here.

MK

• 11. Re: Dynamic Pivoting
                              Frank Kulash

Hi, Ram,

Ram venu wrote:

Just what I mentioned earlier:

1. An explanation of how you get the desired results from the given data.  (For example, are the numbers display sums?)
                              2. What display tier (i.e., front end) you are using
                              3. Your Oracle version
                              • 12. Re: Dynamic Pivoting
                                Ram venu

Hello Mike ,

It was old query written in long back in oracle reports.

• 13. Re: Dynamic Pivoting
                                  Ram venu
                                  1. An explanation of how you get the desired results from the given data.  (For example, are the numbers display sums?)

we should not do sum here, query already returns values , we just have to transpose columns and values

if you check my 1st post , we have WEEKDAY ,REQ_REC_30_DAY,REQ_REC_LESS_60,                                           REQ_REC_MORE_60 AND REQ_REC_WINDOW columns.

weekday has dates and for each date there are values for REQ_REC_30_DAY,REQ_REC_LESS_60,                                           REQ_REC_MORE_60 AND REQ_REC_WINDOW ,

we have to convert weekday dates into columns and other column values in cell same like pivot structure,

example :

weekday                   30_day                  less_60_day              more_60_day          window

01-01-2019                    1                              2                                  3                        4

01-02-2019                    5                              6                                  7                        8

output will be :

01-01-2019                 01-02-2019

30_day                                       1                                5

less_60_day                               2                                6

more_60_day                             3                                7

window                                       4                                8

What display tier (i.e., front end) you are using

Oracle Bi Publisher

3. Your Oracle version

• 14. Re: Dynamic Pivoting
                                    AndrewSayer

Mike Kutz wrote:

Ram venu wrote:

"04-FEB-19" "05-FEB-19"

MON TUE

30 Days ("REQ_REC_30_DAY" ) 1 null

< 6 MONTHS ("REQ_REC_LESS_6MO" ) null 1

>6 MONTHS ("REQ_REC_MORE_6MO" ) 1 null

window ( "REQ_REC_WINDOW") null null

30 Days , < 6 MONTHS, >6 MONTHS , window are custom columns

Static SQL

Not going to happen within Static SQL.

The resulting column name must be known at compile time.

Perform the dynamic pivot within the Display Tier.

Other Option:

use XML PIVOT.

But, then, you have to deal with translating the XML into something you can display. (this has been done within an APEX Application)

ie Perform the dynamic pivot within the Display Tier

Dynamic SQL

The usage of Dynamic SQL is usually a Red Flag of a bad design somewhere.

Again, I highly recommend that you move the Dynamic Pivoting to the Display Tier.

Polymorphic Table Function

It might be possible to wrap the Dynamic SQL with a PTF, but the date range for the column names must be deduced by the static values (NO VARIABLES) given to the Function.

ie Column Names must be known as compile time.

Also, PFTs are an 18c feature. Oracle-Base write up is here.

MK

If you were doing this in APEX, like most reporting friendly front ends, you wouldnt use the pivot clause at all, you’d just return the detail to APEX and let it do all the data display shuffling: Monty Latiolais: Pivots Made Easy with APEX 5.0

1 2 Previous Next