DBCA FAILS WITH ORA-12547: TNS: LOST CONTACT

mathews07

DBCA FAILS WITH ORA-12547: TNS: LOST CONTACT on a Sun OS 5.11 11.3 sun4v sparc server

• 1. Re: DBCA FAILS WITH ORA-12547: TNS: LOST CONTACT
        EdStevens

3626843 wrote:

DBCA FAILS WITH ORA-12547: TNS: LOST CONTACT on a Sun OS 5.11 11.3 sun4v sparc server

And?

We weren't looking over your shoulder.  We know nothing about your system or what you did that lead up to this error.

But I'll ask a question based on my previous experience.  Were you running dbca 'stand-alone', or as part of the database software installation?

Re: 2. How do I ask a question on the forums?

• 2. Re: DBCA FAILS WITH ORA-12547: TNS: LOST CONTACT
          mathews07

Its a part of the database installation and I am using Xwindow to run the dbca from the putty

• 3. Re: DBCA FAILS WITH ORA-12547: TNS: LOST CONTACT
            EdStevens

3626843 wrote:

Its a part of the database installation and I am using Xwindow to run the dbca from the putty

Please don't make us pull every little piece of information as if we were pulling teeth.

So I assume that you were installing the software and chose the option to also create a database.  Is that correct?

If so, then your software installation was most likely fine and you failed when it went on to execute dbca.  This is, unfortunately, quite common. Assuming I'm still correct, you should try this:

1) log on to the server as the user that installed the software, most commonly 'oracle'.

2) start the listener, with the command 'lsnrctl start'

3) make sure you have your xwindows server running on the workstation and you connected with your putty session configured for 'x-11 port forwarding'.

4) launch dbca

If that doesn't work, have you tried googling your error message? Have you seen this?

• 4. Re: DBCA FAILS WITH ORA-12547: TNS: LOST CONTACT
              mathews07

1. Already installed the software successfully by running the ./runInstaller command

2. Set up the environment (.profile)

3.Created listener by running netca (its up and running)

4. Tried to run the dbca

Got the error

• 5. Re: DBCA FAILS WITH ORA-12547: TNS: LOST CONTACT
                Dude!

It was already addressed, but please take some time to describe the problem and how to reproduce it. Simply posting an arbitrary error message with no additional information is rude. We are people here and not AI's and have a passion to help other users and your post simply reads: "my car doesn't start". You did not even mention the database version.

The best I can do in response to your post is to simply Google the error message for you.

Solaris is a different beast than Linux, but perhaps the following might help to so solve the issue:

ORA-12547 TNS LOST CONTACT : While using dbca in Oracle 12c

• 6. Re: DBCA FAILS WITH ORA-12547: TNS: LOST CONTACT
                  mathews07

Oracle version DB_12c_R2_12.2.0.1.0

Server : Oracle Solaris 11 (5.11).