5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2019 9:27 PM by Mike Kutz

Basic questions - new to APEX

I need to develop an application that provides users with the ability to determine whether a given network device is covered under a maintenance agreement, approaching end of life, is running current acceptable code . . . essentially, a life cycle management application. I have created a very basic app, and I have loaded data into several tables. Currently, I obtain the data by running python code to access an enterprise application (NetBrain v7) and python code accessing a Cisco API. I then use the "SQL Workshop" utility to upload data to the tables that my application uses.

This isn't very efficient. Is there a way that I can run "data fetch" routines from the APEX application I am building? Is there an API / method for me to programmatically upload the data to my APEX app tables?

Any help would be appreciated . . .even help that points me to documentation that I could use.

Thanks,
      Steve

• 1. Re: Basic questions - new to APEX
          fac586

3773178 wrote:

I need to develop an application that provides users with the ability to determine whether a given network device is covered under a maintenance agreement, approaching end of life, is running current acceptable code . . . essentially, a life cycle management application. I have created a very basic app, and I have loaded data into several tables. Currently, I obtain the data by running python code to access an enterprise application (NetBrain v7) and python code accessing a Cisco API. I then use the "SQL Workshop" utility to upload data to the tables that my application uses.

This isn't very efficient. Is there a way that I can run "data fetch" routines from the APEX application I am building? Is there an API / method for me to programmatically upload the data to my APEX app tables?

Any help would be appreciated . . .even help that points me to documentation that I could use.

Help us to help you:

• Update your forum profile with a recognisable username instead of "3773178".
          • Tell us about your environment:
            • Full APEX version
            • Full database version, edition, and platform OS
            • Web listener component, app server or webserver platform, and full versions
          • Do NetBrain v7 and the "Cisco API" data sources expose any data access interfaces (web services; command line export utilities etc), or is your Python code the only way to extract the required information?
          • Where is the output of the Python code located? Can it be generated on the database server?
          • 2. Re: Basic questions - new to APEX

Thanks for the response, fac586.

Regarding my username . .. when I try and edit the profile, I get a system error. I've opened a ticket.

Full APEX version is 19.2, full build.

Not sure how to obtain the back end info, nor am I sure how to obtain the web listener component, app server or webserver platform, and full versions.

NetBrain and Cisco both expose API, NetBrain internally to my organization, Cisco publicly. More to your point, my Python code is the only way to extract the required info. For what it's worth, the NetBrain API is . . . odd. I have 4000 devices and if I want attributes for all 4000, it makes a web call for each device and each attribute, and takes about 90 minutes to get a full device dump. My alternative is to log in and export the data base, but that doesn't seem very "handy" trying to integrate that into APEX.

The output of the Python code is onto my desktop.

I am using the Oracle cloud version of APEX, I don't have a "server" per se that I can load Python code onto.

Thanks,
            Steve

• 3. Re: Basic questions - new to APEX
              fac586

3773178 wrote:

Full APEX version is 19.2, full build.

Not sure how to obtain the back end info, nor am I sure how to obtain the web listener component, app server or webserver platform, and full versions.

Most of the environment details can be found in the Help (?) > About pop-up in the APEX Application Builder. Post this information as text, not screenshots.

I am using the Oracle cloud version of APEX, I don't have a "server" per se that I can load Python code onto.

What exactly do you mean by "Oracle cloud"?

• 4. Re: Basic questions - new to APEX
                Natalie G

3773178 wrote:

Currently, I obtain the data by running python code to access an enterprise application (NetBrain v7) and python code accessing a Cisco API.... Is there a way that I can run "data fetch" routines from the APEX application I am building? Is there an API / method for me to programmatically upload the data to my APEX app tables?

If you can expose a REST interface to the existing data you could use a Web Source Module to fetch the data, perhaps caching what you fetch in Oracle.

pro forma "Web Source Modules and the Interactive Grid": Part 1 | Part 2

• 5. Re: Basic questions - new to APEX
                  Mike Kutz

I believe you can use the SQL Developer Command Line to import files into a cloud based database.

(SQL*Loader would probably be a preferred method)

I'd ask over on SQL Developer about the possibility of doing this and, if this is possible, how.

Once that is done, you can create a script that you can run every so often automagically.

FYI

Here is a link to a video describing how to change your screen name.

Change Name

MK