1 2 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2019 7:24 PM by Dude! Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Are comments to an idea still a valid mission?
        L. Fernigrini

I now have access to the MOSC community, and in that community the "Guide in MOSC" badge does not have the "earn it again" message. Probably the mission could be earned many times and was changed to only once, but the "earn it again" message was not removed on OTN (Groundbreakers)...

• 16. Re: Are comments to an idea still a valid mission?
          L. Fernigrini

I was wrong, I have just commented on my first idea on MOSC and the badge now shows the "earn it again" message:

The 5 points were awarded to my reputation:

If I comment on other Idea I will check if MOSC still awards 5 points for each comment on Ideas...

• 17. Re: Are comments to an idea still a valid mission?
            Jim-D

L. Fernigrini - When I look at my profile (and yours), I see that the "Guide in MOSC" mission includes the text "EARN AGAIN".

• 18. Re: Are comments to an idea still a valid mission?
              L. Fernigrini

Yes, I had never commented on MOSC ideas, that's why the uncompleted mission did not show the message. After the first post I saw a new idea that I considered worth commenting (https://community.oracle.com/ideas/26396#comment-1059582 ) and after my first comment the badge was updated, as I mentioned on my next answer (Re: Are comments to an idea still a valid mission? )....

So I will check next time I comment an Idea on MOSC if it awards points and, if that is the case then the "OTN" places are not working as expected and not giving 5 points award for each comment (I do not dislike that, just think that it need to work as it is explained, I would probably prefer that award to be given only once to avoid non useful comments made just to get some points)

• 19. Re: Are comments to an idea still a valid mission?
                BluShadow

Please don't try and compare MOSC gamification to OTN gamification.  The rules are different between the communities.  Some things may be the same or similar, but just because something works, or works differently on MOSC is no reflection of what is on OTN (or Groundbreakers, or whatever we call this place now)

• 20. Re: Are comments to an idea still a valid mission?
                  L. Fernigrini

I know the rules are different. Right now, for that particular mission, both MOSC and OTN say that they should award points after each comment is done. In OTN that does not work, it may be an error on OTN gamification or, a change that was decided but the mission description was not corrected / updated.

I just want to check if the same happens on MOSC ( that would mean that the error is "global") or if it works as expected on MOSC that would confirm that is an error on OTN or a change in gamification that was not updated on the mission description.

• 21. Re: Are comments to an idea still a valid mission?
                    BluShadow

There are known issues with the gamification recently.  The admin are working on things.  That's all I know.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 22. Re: Are comments to an idea still a valid mission?
                      L. Fernigrini

AFAIK, comments on ideas do not award points in MOSC for more than 1 year.... I remember that I had checked after that some comments I added did not added me points while I was working on my previous job, and I changed company on May 2018...

As a personal opinion, I believe it is ok not to award points just for commenting (many comments are just a "I like it"). But the mission should be updated to reflect that, or the issue should be fixed.

As Stefan mentioned some posts ago:

To be honest: I don't care much either way, but am of the opinion that something either works, or should be disabled.
                      • 23. Re: Are comments to an idea still a valid mission?
                        Jim-D

L. Fernigrini - Looking at my activity, I've earned the "Guide in MOSC" 18 times in the last 6 months, so it seems to have been working for me.  The badge was recently reduced from 30 points to 5 points.  If you're missing some points, I suggest reaching out to Oracle with specific examples.

• 24. Re: Are comments to an idea still a valid mission?
                          Dude!

The idea space in the previous platform release had daily limits, so only the first 5 times of voting and commenting would be accounted for. As I recall, this was a custom setup not provided by the original software. Chances are that the configuration has changed.

Re: Has Gamification Collapsed, Again?

• 25. Re: Are comments to an idea still a valid mission?
                            L. Fernigrini

Yes, MOSC seems to be working OK, the issue I believe is on the OTN space, that comments do not get awarded. Here is the sample form my history, were I got the 5 points in the MOSC space:

I expanded my activity history on the reputation page to show all the reputation activity for the las 6 months and I do not have a single "Guide in OTN" award. I comment from time to time (when it is worth) and I'm pretty sure I've made some comments on the last six months.

I've checked Dude! reputation history (I know he participates a lot on the Ideas space) and I can confirm that OTN is not awarding the 5 points

I do not worry about the problem, I do not care too much about points, but I believe that if the platform has gamification feature it should work as expected, and when something does not work it should be fixed...

• 26. Re: Are comments to an idea still a valid mission?
                              Jim-D

Seeing that there is only one user listed as "RECENTLY COMPLETED" is another sign that this is broken.

• 27. Re: Are comments to an idea still a valid mission?
                                Dude!

I've checked Dude! reputation history (I know he participates a lot on the Ideas space) and I can confirm that OTN is not awarding the 5 points

To be honest, considering what people seem to post just to accomplish the "Welcome Aboard" missions, I'm not sure if this makes really sense anymore. Well, not just the idea space, actually the level of minimum technical experience appears to have dropped overall and quite drastically over the past few years.

I do not worry about the problem, I do not care too much about points, but I believe that if the platform has gamification feature it should work as expected, and when something does not work it should be fixed..

I agree. But we don't fully understand how it is supposed to work. There appears to be no coordination or gamification agreement between different communities. In my opinion, the whole gamification setup is ill-configured. Giving points for creative work or intrinsic motivation is counterproductive. What we need is a reasonable reputation system. The gamification system was probably designed to attract "certain" newcomers, but these people don't have much to contribute.

1 person found this helpful
                                1 2 Previous Next