5 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2020 6:23 PM by Dude!

How do I upgrade from Oracle Linux 8.1 to 8.2 ?

Steve_74

I need to upgrade from OL 8.1 to 8.2 in my test laptop.

Current version info:

$ cat /etc/oracle-release

Oracle Linux Server release 8.1

$ uname -a

Linux localhost.localdomain 4.18.0-147.0.3.el8_1.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Nov 20 19:11:37 PST 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

What is the recommended way to upgrade OL 8.1 to 8.2 ?

Is it done with dnf or yum ?

I couldn't find the upgrade steps in the below documentation portal for 8.2

https://docs.oracle.com/en/operating-systems/oracle-linux/8/relnotes8.2/

Whenever Fedora releases a new version, they will have an article in Fedora magazine like below. I wish Oracle did something like this.

https://fedoramagazine.org/upgrading-fedora-31-to-fedora-32/

BTW I have a 19C test DB running in this machine. I guess, I have to 'relink' after the upgrade.

• 1. Re: How do I upgrade from Oracle Linux 8.1 to 8.2 ?
          Avi Miller-Oracle

You just run "dnf upgrade" -- these are not individual versions (like Fedora 31 to 32). This is simply an update level, i.e. a point in time. The version is just Oracle Linux 8.

You do not need to relink for updates to Oracle Linux 8.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I upgrade from Oracle Linux 8.1 to 8.2 ?
            Dude!

It's mentioned in the installation docs under post-install:

https://docs.oracle.com/en/operating-systems/oracle-linux/8/install/ol8-postinstall-config.html

Btw, OL 8.2 reads release 8 update 2. So going from 8.1 to 8.2 means updating.

I must admit I never use "upgrade" but "update". Apparently dnf or yum upgrade is the same as dnf or yum update with --obsolete parameter. The later adds the removal of obsolete packages.

• 3. Re: How do I upgrade from Oracle Linux 8.1 to 8.2 ?
              Dude!

BTW I have a 19C test DB running in this machine. I guess, I have to 'relink' after the upgrade.

I guess that's a one-million dollar question. The documentation outlines:

https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/19/unxar/configuring-oracle-database.html#GUID-1073475C-2B8A-…

You must relink the product executables every time you apply an operating system patch or after an operating system upgrade.

Relinking the binaries also requires a complete shutdown of your Oracle database installation, including ASM, Clusterware, etc.

Does it make sense? I can see the need before the concept of "dynamically linked" libraries was invented, sometime during the last century. If relinking was required, it would require relinking other parts of the system too including a system restart. Hence Oracle would not be the only software affected.

Relinking can potentially do some damage and for example escalate a problem as a result of data corruption that occured. So I guess, while it doesn't fix a problem, relinking confirms that your installation is still valid.

Always read the release notes, which should mention that relinking your software is required for technical reasons. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

• 4. Re: How do I upgrade from Oracle Linux 8.1 to 8.2 ?
                Steve_74

Thank You Avi, Dude

Just a quick update.

I 'updated' my OL 8.1 to 8.2.

I did encounter some errors though (as shown below). So, I had to use --nobest option/flag . Not quite sure if the packages mentioned in the error (problem1, problem2, ..) below are critical ones.

[oracle@localhost ~]$ sudo dnf upgrade
                [sudo] password for oracle:
                Last metadata expiration check: 0:04:40 ago on Thu 21 May 2020 11:48:49 AM +08.
                Error:
                 Problem 1: cannot install the best update candidate for package annobin-8.78-1.el8.x86_64
                  - nothing provides librpmio.so.3()(64bit) needed by annobin-9.20-1.el7.x86_64
                  - nothing provides librpm.so.3()(64bit) needed by annobin-9.20-1.el7.x86_64
                 Problem 2: cannot install the best update candidate for package libidn2-2.2.0-1.el8.x86_64
                  - nothing provides libunistring.so.0()(64bit) needed by libidn2-2.3.0-1.el7.x86_64
                (try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages or '--nobest' to use not only best candidate packages)

#### Trying dnf update instead to see if the error goes away

[oracle@localhost ~]$ 
                [oracle@localhost ~]$ sudo dnf update
                [sudo] password for oracle:
                Last metadata expiration check: 0:10:28 ago on Thu 21 May 2020 11:48:49 AM +08.
                Error:
                 Problem 1: cannot install the best update candidate for package annobin-8.78-1.el8.x86_64
                 Problem 2: cannot install the best update candidate for package libidn2-2.2.0-1.el8.x86_64
                  - nothing provides libunistring.so.0()(64bit) needed by libidn2-2.3.0-1.el7.x86_64
                (try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages or '--nobest' to use not only best candidate packages)

Trying upgrade again with nobest flag.

[oracle@localhost ~]$
                [oracle@localhost ~]$ sudo dnf upgrade --nobest
                Last metadata expiration check: 0:11:39 ago on Thu 21 May 2020 11:48:49 AM +08.
                Dependencies resolved.

==============================================================================================================================================================
                 Package                                        Architecture    Version                                                     Repository                   Size
                ==============================================================================================================================================================
                Installing:
                 kernel                                         x86_64          4.18.0-193.1.2.el8_2                                        ol8_baseos_latest           2.8 M
                 kernel-devel                                   x86_64          4.18.0-193.1.2.el8_2                                        ol8_baseos_latest            15 M
                 kernel-modules                                 x86_64          4.18.0-193.1.2.el8_2                                        ol8_baseos_latest            23 M
                 kernel-core                                    x86_64          4.18.0-193.1.2.el8_2          

<around 750 lines snipped for readability>
                Transaction Summary
                Install   15 Packages
                Upgrade  646 Packages
                Remove     5 Packages
                Skip       2 Packages

Total download size: 1.0 G
                Is this ok [y/N]: y
                Downloading Packages:

<Below lines snipped>

During the execution (after entering y), I can see the 'Cleanup' messages as shown below which I assume is removal of obsolete packages.

1259/1314
                Cleanup          : util-linux-2.32.1-17.el8.x86_64                                                                                                1260/1314
                Cleanup          : kmod-25-13.0.1.el8.x86_64                                                                                                      1261/1314
                Cleanup          : kmod-libs-25-13.0.1.el8.x86_64                                                                                                 1262/1314
                Running scriptlet: kmod-libs-25-13.0.1.el8.x86_64                                                                                                 1262/1314
                Cleanup          : openldap-2.4.46-10.el8.x86_64                                                                                                  1263/1314
                Cleanup          : libcurl-7.61.1-11.el8.x86_64                

Relink went fine too. Rebooted the laptop. Started the DB

• 5. Re: How do I upgrade from Oracle Linux 8.1 to 8.2 ?
                  Dude!

From what I understand, cleanup means removing the packages it downloaded and used for updating.

In my opinion, calling it upgrading is wrong, and perhaps happening due to popular misconceptions. Whatever modifies your current installation should be called updating. Whereas upgrading is a complete replacement with a more modern or superior product. So going from 8.1 to 8.2 is updating. Going from 7 to 8 is upgrading. Upgrading compared to updating also raises software and hardware compatibility concerns. You are not supposed to have compatibility issues when updating, unless you use a bug as a feature.

I just "upgraded" and "updated" 8.1 to 8.2 and didn't notice any difference. Both in fact showed "upgrading". I also did not run into any of the problems you mentioned, but I used a plain vanilla and basic/minimal installation.