4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2020 11:13 AM by carajandb

Is it common to have multiple CDBs in a physical server ?

BlueSkies

DB version: 19c

OS version: OL 8.2 (proposed)

Physical server has 96 CPU cores, 512 GB RAM

I am a newbie to the multitenant world.

I have a requirement to run 3 OLTP DBs and 1 DWH database in a physical server. All DBs will have the same version (19.3.0.0.0).

I was hoping to run create one CDB and then create these 4 (3 OLTP + 1 DWH) databases as pluggable databases. But, my Data Warehousing DB has different init.ora requirements like db_block_size=16K. So, I guess, I need to create a separate container database with just one DWH pluggable database. Right ?

SQL> select name from v$database;

NAME
      ---------
      FRCDB24

SQL> 
      SQL> show con_name

CON_NAME
      ------------------------------
      FR24TSMPRDPDB
      SQL> 
      SQL> 

SQL> select ISPDB_MODIFIABLE, count(*) from v$parameter group by ISPDB_MODIFIABLE order by count(*) desc;

ISPDB   COUNT(*)
      -----  ----------
      FALSE      254
      TRUE       191

SQL> show parameter db_block_size

NAME                                   TYPE       VALUE
      ------------------------------------ ----------- ------------------------------
      db_block_size                          integer     8192
      SQL> 

Another related question:

Is there a list of things which cannot be altered within PDBs, not just initialization parameters? At least the top annoying ones.

• 1. Re: Is it common to have multiple CDBs in a physical server ?
          Markus Flechtner

> I have a requirement to run 3 OLTP DBs and 1 DWH database in a physical server. All DBs will have the same version (19.3.0.0.0).

> I was hoping to run create one CDB and then create these 4 (3 OLTP + 1 DWH) databases as pluggable databases. But, my Data Warehousing DB has different init.ora requirements like > db_block_size=16K. So, I guess, I need to create a separate container database with just one DWH pluggable database. Right ?

The first aspect of this question is "Licensing":

Without Multitenant Option, you may have maximum number of 3 PDBs in your CDB.

So with 4 PDBs you need at least 2 CDBs.

The second aspect are the technical issues.

Different PDBs may require incompatible settings (software version, database parameters etc.).

In such a case, you would have to create different CDBs, too.

One of these settings is the default block size of the database:

All PDBs share the same default block size (which is inherited from CDB$ROOT and which is usually 8192 Bytes).

Of course, you could add 16K as another block size to your PDBs (by creating a buffer cache for the 16K blocks) and creating tablespaces with the "blocksize" parameter, but I would avoid such a configuration.

So your idea (1 CDB with 8KB-block size for the OLTP PDBs and 1 CDB with 16KB-block size) looks OK.

But instead of using Oracle 19.3.0.0 I would patch the software to the latest RU, 19.7.

HTH

Markus

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is it common to have multiple CDBs in a physical server ?
            BlueSkies

Thank You Markus.

Yes. My shop is willing to buy multitenant licence. I guess, for 2 CDBs in a server, I would need two multitenant licences. Yet to check with the Oracle Sales guys on all these.

What is "RU" 19.7 ? Is that a new numbering system for quarterly PSU ?

• 3. Re: Is it common to have multiple CDBs in a physical server ?
              Markus Flechtner

Hi,

concerning licensing:

If your system is licensed based on the number of CPUs, you need a multitenant license for your CPUs, but not for an individual database

(but - as with every licensing question - please ask Oracle for an official statement)

And yes, "RUs" (= Release Updates", are - very roughly - the new name for the quarterly PSUs.

Please see https://mikedietrichde.com/2017/10/24/differences-psu-bp-ru-rur/  for more information on RUs and the differences between RUs and PSUs.

HTH

Markus

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Is it common to have multiple CDBs in a physical server ?
                carajandb

Hi

one of my customer has 6 CDBs with about 200 PDBs running on one physical machen (to be more precise: one RAC cluster with Data Guard for Failover). The reasons for this many CDBs are:

- Database Version (12.1, 12.2, 19c)

- Patch Level

- Parameter (one DWH)

There's no problem at all with this many CDBs as long as you take care of the memory consumption

Stay healthy

Johannes